Quality reel for frogging

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Quality reel for frogging

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:12 am

Hi all,

I am looking for a dedicated reel for this technique.

Requirements:

* Fast Gear ratio
* good torque
* longer handle
* sub 7 oz
* price below 400 USD

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Quality reel for frogging

Post by Tony9 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 am

Met MgL XG
Zillion SV TW 7.3 (add 9.1 gear swap if you want)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:18 am

Why under 7oz? Frog rods are usually pretty heavy/stout, a lightweight reel might feel a bit out of place/unbalanced.

My personal preference is a J Dream 7.9 (7.5 ounces I think). Deps DR-100zx is the only thing I can think of that might best it.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:33 pm

13met or Met MGL XG with brass gears. Love my 13met so much that it sits on my Steez XBD frog rod.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Zillion SV TW or SV103 would get my vote. Also, the Chronarch MGL shouldn't be counted out just because of a composite frame, and it already has brass micro gears... Tacklewarehouse had a video where guys were chunking A-rigs with 65lb braid using the Chronarch and it seemed to have it just fine.

If I could pick anything for this setup it would be a 7.9 SV103 with a G1 spool (stock spool would work too).

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:49 pm

spookybaits wrote:Why under 7oz? Frog rods are usually pretty heavy/stout, a lightweight reel might feel a bit out of place/unbalanced.

My personal preference is a J Dream 7.9 (7.5 ounces I think). Deps DR-100zx is the only thing I can think of that might best it.
The reason for a lighter reel is that 'walking the dog' for a longer period of time can be pretty exhausting.

I do have a SV103 XS that is mounted on my Jig rod right now. I like the reel, but it is not the best (distance) caster. Since I am mostly a bank fisherman distance is key.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:44 am

freelancer27 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:Why under 7oz? Frog rods are usually pretty heavy/stout, a lightweight reel might feel a bit out of place/unbalanced.

The reason for a lighter reel is that 'walking the dog' for a longer period of time can be pretty exhausting.

I do have a SV103 XS that is mounted on my Jig rod right now. I like the reel, but it is not the best (distance) caster. Since I am mostly a bank fisherman distance is key.
Part of the fatigue in walking the dog using a frog, is in the feel of the grip on the rod and reel together. I solved this by getting a 7'3 Hammer Tackle Trap edition rod, and mounting a Lews Super Duty G LFS on it. Haven't had a problem yet. I can use that thing all day. Amazing frog combo.
<")))><{

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

Gotcha. That Sv103xs should make for an outstanding frog reel. Personally I'd save a bunch of money from a new reel and just drop a better spool in there, like the zillion sv g1 spool (and maybe upgrade bearings, or send off to be tuned). From reports, that spool alone(with a good bearing flush) will really wake that reel up.
I'm gonna drop that spool in mine too.
There's also those rad new ZPI spools. And the RCS 1016. And type R+. Or you could get weird and drop an ito spool in there :big grin:

A carbon handle will cut down on some of that weight too. That's the route I would go for personally- lightweight handle + spool + Hedgehog ZR bearings.
(And a lighter weight zaion drag star if it doesn't already have one. Don't have mine handy to check).
That's a badass frog reel right there 8-)

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Exsence DC

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Exsence DC
Great frog reel, but over his budget and weight.

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Tony9 wrote:Met MgL XG
Zillion SV TW 7.3 (add 9.1 gear swap if you want)
I second this choice!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:11 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

I've been using a shimano MG7 100 for years on my XBD rod.. upgraded bearings of course.. but if you wanted you can find a yuyema spool and drop in it too. The reel is light as you can get.
If noting else I would just go with an OG zillion.. with a longer handle.. IMHO I wouldn't use a steez but thats just me. A frog reel just has to be light enough for you with a strong enough drag.. The SV103xs will work with a 1016 spool.. I am about to puke up SV spools, they have their place but again IMHO not on a frog rod. If your worried about backlash when casting a frog then you should probably take up golfing..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Shimano Core 100MG7

bp182
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bp182 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:19 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Exsence DC
All the way!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 am

I am planning to get the new Antares DC MD when it is available in left (sold my 2016 Antares DC for it). That might be another option.

For now the Coastal will do though.