Daiwa Steez SV 103XSL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Steez SV 103XSL

Post by scrapiron » Mon May 28, 2018 5:16 am

I've got a Steez SV103 h, Steez SV TW, Steez SV A, and a SV103. The Steez SV TW is just amazing- except for that 80mm handle. The Steez SV103 holds it own but doesn't feel as substantial (if that's a word for these reels). The A is a workhorse- just an all around great reel- probably my favorite.

I don't have multiple of the same rods to do a head-to-head test. Braid on the newer Steez and I've got FC on the Steez SV103 but it handles 1/2oz. jigs and top waters like a champ and can bomb them. I know... FC for topwaters? That's all I had that morning. ;) I thought the Steez SV103 was king until I got the SV TW and A.

The SV103 is my least favorite so far due to the disconnected feel. Smooth? It's like I'm not even reeling. I have to look to make sure line is actually getting on the reel. :D I've put a 100mm Steez EX handle/knob and a Zaion drag star on these this reel which really helps lighten it up.

I've sold all my Shimano baitcasters (Met 13, Chronarch MGL, Curado 70, etc.) and I've only keeping the four above. Okay, I've got a SV105 as a backup- loaning to my father-in-law. Nothin wrong with the Shimanos and they're excellent reels; great casting, great fishing. The Steez just fit my hands better and the SV tech impresses me. AND the ability to swap spools and make the reel act differently is a bonus.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:50 am

Kurt L wrote:I will be doing this comparison in a few days I have a Met 13 XG, Met. MGL XG and a Steezs SV 103XSL both of the Mets have the Brass gear conversion. I have them spooled with the same line so it will be a head to head test. I just bought a Curado K 201XG yesterday and it is going back today! I'm not impressed at all with it so I now have concerns about the Brass gear conversion in My Mets...

Kurt
Curious to know if you finished the review. Cheers

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:I will be doing this comparison in a few days I have a Met 13 XG, Met. MGL XG and a Steezs SV 103XSL both of the Mets have the Brass gear conversion. I have them spooled with the same line so it will be a head to head test. I just bought a Curado K 201XG yesterday and it is going back today! I'm not impressed at all with it so I now have concerns about the Brass gear conversion in My Mets...

Kurt
I got a short time on the water with all three reels last week, in short the Met. MGL was the winner for better feel of what the lure was doing and out casted the others easily, the Steez is numb feeling on the retrieve and is over braked I still like it but if I had to pick a winner it's the MGL, My Steez is still new so it will probably break in to some extent? Both reels are smooth, but the Met palms a little better for me. I have moved to Daiwa for most of my reels but the MGL just flat works awesome no matter what I ask it to do including reach water I can't get to with my other reels. the Met 13 had a new bearing acting up so it wasn't really in the running for anything but the casting distance which was second to the MGL.

Kurt

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:23 pm

Kurt L wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Kurt
I got a short time on the water with all three reels last week, in short the Met. MGL was the winner for better feel of what the lure was doing and out casted the others easily, the Steez is numb feeling on the retrieve and is over braked I still like it but if I had to pick a winner it's the MGL, My Steez is still new so it will probably break in to some extent? Both reels are smooth, but the Met palms a little better for me. I have moved to Daiwa for most of my reels but the MGL just flat works awesome no matter what I ask it to do including reach water I can't get to with my other reels. the Met 13 had a new bearing acting up so it wasn't really in the running for anything but the casting distance which was second to the MGL.

Kurt

Thanks!

Appreciate the feedback!