Aldebaran BFS line options

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
kunia13
Angler
Angler

Aldebaran BFS line options

Post by kunia13 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 pm

What line are you running on your BFS spools?
So far I'm leaning towards fluorocarbon in 6lb, but I rather be using a 10lb braid. There's so little information using bfs spools with braid, so I'm not quite sure how it would preform or if Aldebaran's spool would get damaged. Thou I did find this on the tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sa7WiIOJr8 and that guy's using 10lb PP. There's a shot where I can see the spool from underneath, and it looks like the braid is tied directly.
Any clue as what would be the best way to tie the braid without backing and prevent slipping? Best I could come up with would be an arbor knot followed by a half hitch knots (if i can get the spool out with the line on). Another option is perhaps to run a few meters of 4lb mono as backing, thou not sure how much line would I need in order for it to be effective.
I doubt that using one of the ports for a knot would be good idea plus I'm not really into using any sort of tape on that spool to prevent slippage.
Any experience with nanofill or gliss?
I'll be getting a ktf spool down the road, and having a braid and fluro to chose from would be ideal.

I would greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aldebaran BFS line options

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:51 pm

You can put a layer of electrical tape around the spool to sit underneath the braid. This will prevent phantom drag and eliminate the need to run backing onto the spool.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:06 am

kunia13 wrote:What line are you running on your BFS spools?
So far I'm leaning towards fluorocarbon in 6lb, but I rather be using a 10lb braid. There's so little information using bfs spools with braid, so I'm not quite sure how it would preform or if Aldebaran's spool would get damaged. Thou I did find this on the tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sa7WiIOJr8 and that guy's using 10lb PP. There's a shot where I can see the spool from underneath, and it looks like the braid is tied directly.
Any clue as what would be the best way to tie the braid without backing and prevent slipping? Best I could come up with would be an arbor knot followed by a half hitch knots (if i can get the spool out with the line on). Another option is perhaps to run a few meters of 4lb mono as backing, thou not sure how much line would I need in order for it to be effective.
I doubt that using one of the ports for a knot would be good idea plus I'm not really into using any sort of tape on that spool to prevent slippage.
I'll be getting a ktf spool down the road, and having a braid and fluro to chose from would be ideal.

Thanks
Ive ran 8lb Gliss and 2lb Nanofil. Both work great. I prefer the Nanofil. Either way, make sure you use a leader and tie the joining knot good.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 am

ccass wrote:

Thanks
Ive ran 8lb Gliss and 2lb Nanofil. Both work great. I prefer the Nanofil. Either way, make sure you use a leader and tie the joining knot good.
Oh yeah, get the KTF spool if you are trying to cast UL stuff, if you are casting 1/8oz on the low end, it wouldnt be worth it. It does work noticeably better than stick for the lightest stuff
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Im using a suffix 832 6lb and powerpro 8lb braided line on my calcutta and aldebaran bfs respectively. So far i can cast down till 1/16. 1/32 is manageable with stock spool also.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:21 pm

faheem96 wrote:Im using a suffix 832 6lb and powerpro 8lb braided line on my calcutta and aldebaran bfs respectively. So far i can cast down till 1/16. 1/32 is manageable with stock spool also.
Exactly what I'll be throwing on the stock spool, 1/16 oz and up. I know it's probably a stupid question, but how did you attached the braid to the spool? Most of the time I've used mono backing, in some cases a bit of tape. Did you use a bit of tape, few meters of mono or tired directly to one of the ports? That Aldebaran cost me a little fortune and I don't want to screw up the spool the moment I get it :)
Thanks!

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:23 pm

ccass wrote:
ccass wrote:

Thanks
Oh yeah, get the KTF spool if you are trying to cast UL stuff, if you are casting 1/8oz on the low end, it wouldnt be worth it. It does work noticeably better than stick for the lightest stuff
Spare KTF spool's going to be used for trout, so yeah, 1/32 oz stuff. Thanks

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:27 pm

kunia13 wrote:
faheem96 wrote:Im using a suffix 832 6lb and powerpro 8lb braided line on my calcutta and aldebaran bfs respectively. So far i can cast down till 1/16. 1/32 is manageable with stock spool also.
Exactly what I'll be throwing on the stock spool, 1/16 oz and up. I know it's probably a stupid question, but how did you attached the braid to the spool? Most of the time I've used mono backing, in some cases a bit of tape. Did you use a bit of tape, few meters of mono or tired directly to one of the ports? That Aldebaran cost me a little fortune and I don't want to screw up the spool the moment I get it :)
Thanks!

I tied it directly. Didnt even put tape on it. Been using for a year? No problem at all.

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:08 am

faheem96 wrote:
kunia13 wrote:
Thanks!

I tied it directly. Didnt even put tape on it. Been using for a year? No problem at all.
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated :D

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:44 pm

So I tried 10lb PP super slick 8, and pretty much took it off after about 10 minutes. Either I was doing something wrong, or that line just doesn't play with a shallow spool. I had 30lb PPSS8 on a Revo SX last season and hated it too and it came off too.

I'll be trying out 6lb sufix 832 next, thou I'm tempted to try Seaguar smackdown in 10 or 15 lb. My chronarch MGL is spooled with 20lb smackdown, and yes I know it's very thin, but I had no major issues...and it casts a mile. Anyone tired it?

But it's expensive, so I don't know. I have numerous spinning reels spooled with light braids (regular PP, suffix etc) but I have no experience in light BFS stuff so it's all trail and error with lines till I find something I like and can manage well.

What do you guys think? Regular 8/10lb PP, 10/15 smackdown or 6lB 832?

faheem96
Angler
Angler

Post by faheem96 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm

Thats weird. Ive use both 6lb suffix 832 and 8/10lb powerpro on my aldebaran bfs. No breakage,birdnest or any issue at all. Did you fill the spool properly and correctly? Another brand you can try is duel armoured f+. Never tried seaguar before so cant give my opinion.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:39 pm

kunia13 wrote:So I tried 10lb PP super slick 8, and pretty much took it off after about 10 minutes. Either I was doing something wrong, or that line just doesn't play with a shallow spool. I had 30lb PPSS8 on a Revo SX last season and hated it too and it came off too.

I'll be trying out 6lb sufix 832 next, thou I'm tempted to try Seaguar smackdown in 10 or 15 lb. My chronarch MGL is spooled with 20lb smackdown, and yes I know it's very thin, but I had no major issues...and it casts a mile. Anyone tired it?

But it's expensive, so I don't know. I have numerous spinning reels spooled with light braids (regular PP, suffix etc) but I have no experience in light BFS stuff so it's all trail and error with lines till I find something I like and can manage well.

What was wrong with the super slick. It's a great all around line. Shallow spool shouldn't have anything to do with how it handles. As it's still a diameter close enough on the outside to a standard reel.

I prefered 10lb ppss over 6lb suffix 832

Are you looking for something less stiff or wirey?

Try 11lb gliss if you don't mind triple or double palomar knots or FG / pr knots.
That suff is very thing and memoryless once it passes the levelwind guide.

I think I'm settling in on the 4lb pline halo....the line pinching between the spool flange isn't so bad after cutting off a bit of line. And no need for silly join knots. And it's really tough and knots well for 4lb test. Have been doin well and no snag break offs to speak of over the past 4 trips.

My only 3 complaints with PP SS is alberto knots seem to deteriorate quicker for some reason after twist stacks at the knot.
It holds water once the finish wears off
Backlashes really weaken the line throwing heavy payloads at high speeds (surf chunking)

How many mags ya running? Did you add the extra 2? I did from the onset figured I'd remove if needed.
With all installed.....it's effortless almost brainless using 6lb tatsu 4lb halo down to 1/16.
Any casting stroke from any angle throws exactly where I need with no drama

kunia13
Angler
Angler

Post by kunia13 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:40 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
kunia13 wrote:So I tried 10lb PP super slick 8, and pretty much took it off after about 10 minutes. Either I was doing something wrong, or that line just doesn't play with a shallow spool. I had 30lb PPSS8 on a Revo SX last season and hated it too and it came off too.

What was wrong with the super slick. It's a great all around line. Shallow spool shouldn't have anything to do with how it handles. As it's still a diameter close enough on the outside to a standard reel.

I prefered 10lb ppss over 6lb suffix 832

Are you looking for something less stiff or wirey?

Try 11lb gliss if you don't mind triple or double palomar knots or FG / pr knots.
That suff is very thing and memoryless once it passes the levelwind guide.

I think I'm settling in on the 4lb pline halo....the line pinching between the spool flange isn't so bad after cutting off a bit of line. And no need for silly join knots. And it's really tough and knots well for 4lb test. Have been doin well and no snag break offs to speak of over the past 4 trips.

My only 3 complaints with PP SS is alberto knots seem to deteriorate quicker for some reason after twist stacks at the knot.
It holds water once the finish wears off
Backlashes really weaken the line throwing heavy payloads at high speeds (surf chunking)

How many mags ya running? Did you add the extra 2? I did from the onset figured I'd remove if needed.
With all installed.....it's effortless almost brainless using 6lb tatsu 4lb halo down to 1/16.
Any casting stroke from any angle throws exactly where I need with no drama
Looks like it's the end user not the line, and I did install the extra 2 magnets.
I found that PPSS frays a lot, especially when it backlashes. I've actually had the line dig into itself and I had to pretty much cut it off. So, either I didn't spool it tight enough or I have no idea what I'm doing.
I don't mind crazy knots, less casting distance or weaker lb test line, as long the line is manageable for a noob like me.
I have a spool of 6lb invixz and maybe I should just spool that and give braid a rest one I get this BFS stuff under control.

Thanks ScoobyDoo:)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 am

Op, if you don't want to use sicky tape, try using a few wraps of plumbers pipe threading "tape". It is non-adhesive and will hold if you get a half dozen tight wraps on the spool. You can also try self-amalgamating vinyl tape. It bonds to it's self and holds line very well.

But really, just spend $5-8 bucks on a roll of good quality electricians tape, it will not leave much if any residue on the spool and a single roll will last you for decades. I do an arbor knot direct to the spool, then a single non-overlapping wrap of e-tape on on my spools backed with braid.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 am

I'm a fan of Gliss and Nanofil products. #10 green Nanofil is my current favorite but Finesse Flourocarbon is good as well.