Metanium vs Chronarch

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Post by Obz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Just got a chronarch mgl 8.1:1. I wanted the brass gears. Seems the quality is on par with my daiwa sv103 reels. I'm Pairing it with my second MB Faust, gonna send some frogs out of the atmosphere. The HH air bearings are on the way, pretty stoked! Its my second high end shimano. I have an anteras 5.6:1 I'm planning on using for cranks and topwaters.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Obz wrote:Just got a chronarch mgl 8.1:1. I wanted the brass gears. Seems the quality is on par with my daiwa sv103 reels. I'm Pairing it with my second MB Faust, gonna send some frogs out of the atmosphere. The HH air bearings are on the way, pretty stoked! Its my second high end shimano. I have an anteras 5.6:1 I'm planning on using for cranks and topwaters.
See I caught a hard time for buying a 7.1 Chronarch MGL instead of trying my first SV103 (kinda sad because I never got one still). I think for the price I paid brand new, $220ish, the MGL was a great deal.
Please let me know how those HH air bearings turn out, I use my Chronarch on a 7'Medium Villain 2.0 and like it for light lure casting, like 3/16 heads with Keitech 3.3"s. Some people say stock Shimano bearings are pretty good though already.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Obz wrote:Just got a chronarch mgl 8.1:1. I wanted the brass gears. Seems the quality is on par with my daiwa sv103 reels. I'm Pairing it with my second MB Faust, gonna send some frogs out of the atmosphere. The HH air bearings are on the way, pretty stoked! Its my second high end shimano. I have an anteras 5.6:1 I'm planning on using for cranks and topwaters.
See I caught a hard time for buying a 7.1 Chronarch MGL instead of trying my first SV103 (kinda sad because I never got one still). I think for the price I paid brand new, $220ish, the MGL was a great deal.
Please let me know how those HH air bearings turn out, I use my Chronarch on a 7'Medium Villain 2.0 and like it for light lure casting, like 3/16 heads with Keitech 3.3"s. Some people say stock Shimano bearings are pretty good though already.
Will do, that is a good deal and I think the mgl is prob the way to go for the lighter stuff. I paid full retail for my mgl but I got a sweet shimano hoody with it. I think you could still find a new sv103 for 250 or under if you look on the auction sites. I like my sv103's a lot, they are good down to about 3/16 of an ounce on 15lb flouro, also smooth, rugged and compared to the mgl I prefer their more flashy athstetic. I upgraded the sv103's with HH air HD bearings they're great, hardly backlash and I can skip well with them. I decided to try the shimano reels for cranks, topwaters, and frogs hoping for that maximum casting distance.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:54 am

Obz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Will do, that is a good deal and I think the mgl is prob the way to go for the lighter stuff. I paid full retail for my mgl but I got a sweet shimano hoody with it. I think you could still find a new sv103 for 250 or under if you look on the auction sites. I like my sv103's a lot, they are good down to about 3/16 of an ounce on 15lb flouro, also smooth, rugged and compared to the mgl I prefer their more flashy athstetic. I upgraded the sv103's with HH air HD bearings they're great, hardly backlash and I can skip well with them. I decided to try the shimano reels for cranks, topwaters, and frogs hoping for that maximum casting distance.
You'll get further distance compared to the equal price Daiwa's, you'll get better control from the Daiwa reels though, especially the newer or less trained a thumb is. I did a test/write up for the Zillion SV TW versus the Chronarch MGL on here a while back, still love both reels. Was really hoping an MGL version of the Curado 70 was coming, that size reel with a lighter spool and few more bells and whistles (extra driveshaft bearing, longer handle) could quite possibly be a greatest of all time candidate.