Metanium vs Chronarch

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello,

What do.you prefer? Between the new MGL models...?
Witch one is smoother?

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Hennessy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:00 am

I use the metanium mgls for my worm/jig reels, just have one chronarch mgl & it's on my moving bait rods. The chronarch feels better as a retrieving reel to me, it also palms a little better even though it weighs more. The chronarch is a good value if you find it around $225 or less. At $250 or more, you're better off getting a metanium mgl from japan

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:39 am

I read that:

Metanium has aluminium gears and 84 mm handle...

Chronarch has brass gears and 90 mm handle...

Also Chronarch has a bushing on the levelwind and you can replace it with a bearing...Metanium doesnt have anything and also no place to put something.

The smoothness is different or they are pretty same ???

I have to.chose between a brand new Chronarch with 2 years warranty and a second hand Metanium from Japan...fire :big grin:

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Kurt L » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:42 am

The Met and Chronarch have the same size handles, the low and HG ratio reels use the standard handle and the XG's get the longer 96mm. Met MGL's will accept one bearing on the levelwind as well. the main difference is Brass Vs Aluminum drive gear and Ci4+ vs magnesium frame and a higher bearing count in the Met if I recall correctly. also silent tune on the Met., a brass drive gear is available for the Met. for $23.00, oh one more thing comes to mind the Met has a slightly faster retrieve (higher Inches per Turn)

Kurt

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:56 am

Metanium 6.2 has 84 mm handle...one bushing at the levelwind
Chronarch 6.2 has 90 mm handle...no bushing at the levelwind

These are from tackletour reviews and Shimano official JDM site.

One last detail...the dial on the Chr clicks and the Metanium doesnt.
So weird that the expensive reel has more minuses :))

The 2 bearings that Metanium has extra are at the knobs and dont matter in technology...

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:Metanium 6.2 has 84 mm handle...one bushing at the levelwind
Chronarch 6.2 has 90 mm handle...no bushing at the levelwind

These are from tackletour reviews and Shimano official JDM site.

One last detail...the dial on the Chr clicks and the Metanium doesnt.
So weird that the expensive reel has more minuses :))

The 2 bearings that Metanium has extra are at the knobs and dont matter in technology...


I went through this dilemma and decided on the Chronarch MGL during a Black Friday sale, still VERY happy with my first Shimano.

The Chronarch MGL offers: a US warranty, 90mm handle on HG and 6.2 versions, brass gears, plenty of rigidity, clicking knob for brakes, and cheaper price.

The Metanium MGL offers: good steal price if from Japan, 96mm on XG only, more bearings, stiffer & lighter magnesium frame, and the fact that it is one of the top reels in refinement.

For the bad... The Chronarch MGL isn't saltwater safe, some people don't like carbon frames (I never notice ANY issue, hell there is a TW video where they are using them for A-RIGs with 65lb braid), almost the price of a JDM Metanium at full price, and that's about it I can imagine.

The Metanium MGL negatives include primarily issues surrounding the aluminum micro gears. Though it can be fixed apparently by ordering Curado K gears, it is still something to be addressed that a $420 reel can buzz and hum when almost new. Once again I have only ever been around a few Metaniums and I never noticed a bit of the reported issues. The only other issue I could come up with is the fact that there is no US warranty, but I am sure for a fair price Shimano would be glad to help you. The 84mm handle really bothers me though for some reason...

I was also sick to learn that the upcoming Bantam MGL went with an 84mm handle for the 6.2 and 7.1 ratio reels, and still bothered by the fact that they might have removed a mainshaft bearing when the $180 Curado and $280 Chronarch both have it. That reminds me of how you mentioned the Metanium's brake adjustment doesn't click but the cheaper Chronarch's does.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Kurt L » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:24 pm

The Tackle tour review on the Met. MGL was incomplete and showed many details of the Chronarch not the Metanium they were testing... The lower gear ratio Chronarchs I have seen all had the shorter handle? knob bearings are one place I notice a difference, the levelwind I did not notice when I upgraded my Met. MGL. Both reels are winners it's up to you!

Kurt

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Kurt L wrote:The Tackle tour review on the Met. MGL was incomplete and showed many details of the Chronarch not the Metanium they were testing... The lower gear ratio Chronarchs I have seen all had the shorter handle? knob bearings are one place I notice a difference, the levelwind I did not notice when I upgraded my Met. MGL. Both reels are winners it's up to you!

Kurt


Maybe the JDM ones do, my Zillion SV TW and Chronarch MGL have identical handle lengths, the Zillion is a 7.3 (90mm for sure as all Daiwa's are) and my 7.1 gear Chronarch MGL matches it dead even.

You are also the second person to say they felt knob bearings help, I bought some junker Amazon 4x7x2.5's and the feel no different than the bushings... What knob/levelwind bearings did you get???

JBcrankaddict
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1345
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby JBcrankaddict » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Drag washers are also different between the 2 reels. Chronarch comes with carbon fiber washers, while the Metanium comes with the Dartanium washers. Really not an issue because they are both smooth, until those Dartaniums start to fall apart. I'd have to agree with the other posts though, if you are buying USDM, then the Chronarch all day. Price difference is hard to stomach with little difference in performance. If you are ok with no warranty then buy the Metanium from Japan. Both are very nice reels.

lmbfisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 am

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby lmbfisherman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:12 pm

It’s all about the price for me. Ever since the government started taxing me on jdm tackle, I’ve decided to stick with Chronarch MGL, have two of them. If I wasn’t taxed I’d get the Met. Lovem both!

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 pm

For me its somehow the same...I have to chose between a brand new Chronarch with 2 years warranty and a Metanium MGL second hand from Japan.
I think I'll go with the Chronarch for the handle, brass gears, and clicking dial. Hope its smooth ... :-k :?

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 281
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Kurt L » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:06 pm

VinnyOA wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:The Tackle tour review on the Met. MGL was incomplete and showed many details of the Chronarch not the Metanium they were testing... The lower gear ratio Chronarchs I have seen all had the shorter handle? knob bearings are one place I notice a difference, the levelwind I did not notice when I upgraded my Met. MGL. Both reels are winners it's up to you!

Kurt


Maybe the JDM ones do, my Zillion SV TW and Chronarch MGL have identical handle lengths, the Zillion is a 7.3 (90mm for sure as all Daiwa's are) and my 7.1 gear Chronarch MGL matches it dead even.

You are also the second person to say they felt knob bearings help, I bought some junker Amazon 4x7x2.5's and the feel no different than the bushings... What knob/levelwind bearings did you get???

Bushings in knobs perform just the same as bearings and many times are better than bearings for many reasons.Lots of people here don't understand why bushings are put in knobs over bearings and conclude jdm reels are better.Ignorance at it's finest.


The only time a bushing will out perform a quality bearing is in the resistance to corrosion (salt) or... with a total lack of long term maintenance. Saltwater conditions are the perfect place for bushings, if they were superior in a performance respect premium reels would be supplied with them. Yes the gain in refinement is slight and some may not feel it at all but I notice it. I normally buy Metanium knob bearings strait from Shimano, cheap bearings are a no go I tried that route before as well ](*,)

Kurt

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:06 am

Kurt L wrote:
VinnyOA wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:The Tackle tour review on the Met. MGL was incomplete and showed many details of the Chronarch not the Metanium they were testing... The lower gear ratio Chronarchs I have seen all had the shorter handle? knob bearings are one place I notice a difference, the levelwind I did not notice when I upgraded my Met. MGL. Both reels are winners it's up to you!

Kurt


Maybe the JDM ones do, my Zillion SV TW and Chronarch MGL have identical handle lengths, the Zillion is a 7.3 (90mm for sure as all Daiwa's are) and my 7.1 gear Chronarch MGL matches it dead even.

You are also the second person to say they felt knob bearings help, I bought some junker Amazon 4x7x2.5's and the feel no different than the bushings... What knob/levelwind bearings did you get???

Bushings in knobs perform just the same as bearings and many times are better than bearings for many reasons.Lots of people here don't understand why bushings are put in knobs over bearings and conclude jdm reels are better.Ignorance at it's finest.


The only time a bushing will out perform a quality bearing is in the resistance to corrosion (salt) or... with a total lack of long term maintenance. Saltwater conditions are the perfect place for bushings, if they were superior in a performance respect premium reels would be supplied with them. Yes the gain in refinement is slight and some may not feel it at all but I notice it. I normally buy Metanium knob bearings strait from Shimano, cheap bearings are a no go I tried that route before as well ](*,)

Kurt



Couldn't have said it better, my first reel I ever broke down completely and worked on was an original Tatula Type R, got the knobs and all where they would spin like crazy... I added those dang Amazon bearings and the knobs would barely rotate after flicked (versus stock 1 bearing 1 bushing).

Have you ever felt the gear issues with the Metanium(s) you own???

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 1942
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby mark poulson » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 am

VinnyOA wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:The Tackle tour review on the Met. MGL was incomplete and showed many details of the Chronarch not the Metanium they were testing... The lower gear ratio Chronarchs I have seen all had the shorter handle? knob bearings are one place I notice a difference, the levelwind I did not notice when I upgraded my Met. MGL. Both reels are winners it's up to you!

Kurt


Maybe the JDM ones do, my Zillion SV TW and Chronarch MGL have identical handle lengths, the Zillion is a 7.3 (90mm for sure as all Daiwa's are) and my 7.1 gear Chronarch MGL matches it dead even.

You are also the second person to say they felt knob bearings help, I bought some junker Amazon 4x7x2.5's and the feel no different than the bushings... What knob/levelwind bearings did you get???

Bushings in knobs perform just the same as bearings and many times are better than bearings for many reasons.Lots of people here don't understand why bushings are put in knobs over bearings and conclude jdm reels are better.Ignorance at it's finest.


I really notice the difference between bushings and bearings on my moving bait reels, like spinnerbaits and crank baits. Bearings make cranking for hours much less work, and I can feel the bait better.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Metanium vs Chronarch

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 am

I wrote that the only plus for the Metanium MGL is that it has 2 bearings on the knobs, fact that doesnt make any difference in tech...you dont reel or cranck with the knobs :lol:

Overall there are more pluses for the Chronarch that Metanium...nobody talked about the smoothness :roll:


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests