dc reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ryang714
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:20 pm

dc reels

Postby ryang714 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 pm

been wanting to pick up a dc reel for quite awhile now, I know there's a few option, I want to narrow it down to which can cast the farthest? Possibly will use it for topwater applications, any help is appreciated, thanks

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: dc reels

Postby freelancer27 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:34 pm

2016 Shimano Antares DC

ryang714
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Re: dc reels

Postby ryang714 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:37 pm

have you tried any of the other dc lineup? I was kind of leaning towards the 2016 Antares too but want honest opinions before purchase

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 442
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: dc reels

Postby freelancer27 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:38 am

I have not. I do not have another DC reel to compare to, but can compare to conquest, steel SV tws and metanium mgl

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:02 am

Re: dc reels

Postby Hennessy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 am

I was in your same situation. I recently picked up the metanium DC for mainly traps and heavy cranks, so far so good. As soon as it warms up for topwater, I'm getting the anteras DC for pencil poppers, spooks, Sammy, whooper plopper. The anteras has a "X" brake setting for extra long cast. Not sure how to post links, but on YouTube type in "New 4*8 DC brake". It's a 6 minute video. You probably won't understand anything but if you want to forward to 4:50, watch how far he throws that frog! I'm gonna blind buy it, w/o a doubt that's the farthest casting DC reel. I think there was some casting records set with this reel also

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: dc reels

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 am

In my opinion the best reel with DC is the 15 Metanium DC.
Plus:
- very comfortable in hand
- light and strong
- easy to use
- very smooth
If you add like me a longer handle (mine carbon handle has 96mm) it going to be like a tank ;)

A friend of mine bought for 500$ a 16 Antares DC, and its way bigger than the Metanium, not so comfortable to fish. Its also smooth but for every day fishing with different type of baits we like the Metanium more.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: dc reels

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm


Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Re: dc reels

Postby Ovidiu-Andrei » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 am

What about the Scorpion DC?
It seems cheaper look...how does it feel in reeling? Smooth or ... ... ? :roll:

fffishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Toronto

Re: dc reels

Postby fffishing » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:What about the Scorpion DC?
It seems cheaper look...how does it feel in reeling? Smooth or ... ... ? :roll:

It's feel good,it's cast nice(same brakes on Met DC)...Brass gear,good solid reel.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm
Location: Superior wisconsin

Re: dc reels

Postby Obz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:36 pm

Is there a good source explaining how DC reels work?

fffishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Toronto

Re: dc reels

Postby fffishing » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Obz wrote:Is there a good source explaining how DC reels work?

Actually ,it's kind of secret,what Shimano keep in safe box :(
We just can see the result. :)

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: dc reels

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:15 pm

Obz wrote:Is there a good source explaining how DC reels work?


DC reels work like a shake flashlight... Kind of. A large amount of copper wire bundled together, think it works best with a single strand wound tight. If a magnetic force interacts with this coil, electrons are drawn through the copper coil and a small amount of electricity (moving electrons) is created. The Shimano DC reels use this concept to generate enough electricity to power a bit of magnetic braking that initiates at certain RPM's to control casting.

The parts I do not know are how they translate the electricity generated into braking on the spool. I think the different settings govern different RPM's for backlash control (high RPM's for heavy lure long cast bombs, lower RPM's for skipping or wind catching lighter lures). I would assume the electricity generated from the copper coil somehow works in reverse to form magnetism for spool control, just as the magnetism from the spool generates electricity via moving by the copper wire coil.

There is a connection between RPM of the spool and electricity created, so a simple computer chip can estimate RPM of the spool, and then make a decision (depending on the selected cast setting) of how much brake force to apply. The previous spool rotation of each cast generates the electricity for the upcoming cast while also inputing a small amount of information to help the chip decide how much braking magnetism to apply.

Figure this is a decent guess.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm
Location: Superior wisconsin

Re: dc reels

Postby Obz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:30 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Obz wrote:Is there a good source explaining how DC reels work?


DC reels work like a shake flashlight... Kind of. A large amount of copper wire bundled together, think it works best with a single strand wound tight. If a magnetic force interacts with this coil, electrons are drawn through the copper coil and a small amount of electricity (moving electrons) is created. The Shimano DC reels use this concept to generate enough electricity to power a bit of magnetic braking that initiates at certain RPM's to control casting.

The parts I do not know are how they translate the electricity generated into braking on the spool. I think the different settings govern different RPM's for backlash control (high RPM's for heavy lure long cast bombs, lower RPM's for skipping or wind catching lighter lures). I would assume the electricity generated from the copper coil somehow works in reverse to form magnetism for spool control, just as the magnetism from the spool generates electricity via moving by the copper wire coil.

There is a connection between RPM of the spool and electricity created, so a simple computer chip can estimate RPM of the spool, and then make a decision (depending on the selected cast setting) of how much brake force to apply. The previous spool rotation of each cast generates the electricity for the upcoming cast while also inputing a small amount of information to help the chip decide how much braking magnetism to apply.

Figure this is a decent guess.


I think your hypothesis is on point. I figured they used the spinning of the spool to generate electromotive force. I know it doesn't take much energy to send commands but it does take some energy to carry out mechanical tasks, like if brake magnets needed to be shifted. Impressive stuff. I might get the scorpion dc just to see it for myself.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: dc reels

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Obz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Obz wrote:Is there a good source explaining how DC reels work?


DC reels work like a shake flashlight... Kind of. A large amount of copper wire bundled together, think it works best with a single strand wound tight. If a magnetic force interacts with this coil, electrons are drawn through the copper coil and a small amount of electricity (moving electrons) is created. The Shimano DC reels use this concept to generate enough electricity to power a bit of magnetic braking that initiates at certain RPM's to control casting.

The parts I do not know are how they translate the electricity generated into braking on the spool. I think the different settings govern different RPM's for backlash control (high RPM's for heavy lure long cast bombs, lower RPM's for skipping or wind catching lighter lures). I would assume the electricity generated from the copper coil somehow works in reverse to form magnetism for spool control, just as the magnetism from the spool generates electricity via moving by the copper wire coil.

There is a connection between RPM of the spool and electricity created, so a simple computer chip can estimate RPM of the spool, and then make a decision (depending on the selected cast setting) of how much brake force to apply. The previous spool rotation of each cast generates the electricity for the upcoming cast while also inputing a small amount of information to help the chip decide how much braking magnetism to apply.

Figure this is a decent guess.


I think your hypothesis is on point. I figured they used the spinning of the spool to generate electromotive force. I know it doesn't take much energy to send commands but it does take some energy to carry out mechanical tasks, like if brake magnets needed to be shifted. Impressive stuff. I might get the scorpion dc just to see it for myself.


I get what you mean about carrying out tasks, like an electronic block that came out to mechanically slow the spool would take more energy. That's why I think the leftover electricity is used from the coils (and maybe in the same coil) to make an electromagnetic field that slows the same spool that initially charged it. Now I want one.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm
Location: Superior wisconsin

Re: dc reels

Postby Obz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:46 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Obz wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Obz wrote:Is there a good source explaining how DC reels work?


DC reels work like a shake flashlight... Kind of. A large amount of copper wire bundled together, think it works best with a single strand wound tight. If a magnetic force interacts with this coil, electrons are drawn through the copper coil and a small amount of electricity (moving electrons) is created. The Shimano DC reels use this concept to generate enough electricity to power a bit of magnetic braking that initiates at certain RPM's to control casting.

The parts I do not know are how they translate the electricity generated into braking on the spool. I think the different settings govern different RPM's for backlash control (high RPM's for heavy lure long cast bombs, lower RPM's for skipping or wind catching lighter lures). I would assume the electricity generated from the copper coil somehow works in reverse to form magnetism for spool control, just as the magnetism from the spool generates electricity via moving by the copper wire coil.

There is a connection between RPM of the spool and electricity created, so a simple computer chip can estimate RPM of the spool, and then make a decision (depending on the selected cast setting) of how much brake force to apply. The previous spool rotation of each cast generates the electricity for the upcoming cast while also inputing a small amount of information to help the chip decide how much braking magnetism to apply.

Figure this is a decent guess.



I think your hypothesis is on point. I figured they used the spinning of the spool to generate electromotive force. I know it doesn't take much energy to send commands but it does take some energy to carry out mechanical tasks, like if brake magnets needed to be shifted. Impressive stuff. I might get the scorpion dc just to see it for myself.


I get what you mean about carrying out tasks, like an electronic block that came out to mechanically slow the spool would take more energy. That's why I think the leftover electricity is used from the coils (and maybe in the same coil) to make an electromagnetic field that slows the same spool that initially charged it. Now I want one.


Word


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: btoups and 13 guests