Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Post by bronzefly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:06 pm

It reminds me of my beloved Z200 as well from photos, but the Bantam MGL is much smaller and more compact. Again, I LOVE the Z200 and use it regularly, but the Bantam MGL is an entirely different profile reel, much smaller. I've fished the Bantam MGL on a Conquest 905c and it's one impressive reel, though unfortunately it was RH instead of LH :lol: Our early pre-order customers have already been offering very positive feedback and more will be very soon. In my limited experience with this one, it looks like Shimano has a real winner here =D>
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:51 pm

I'm Very interested on this reel. Checking out the schematics and it
Look like a tank. Im a bit concerned about the O rings used.
Experienced on some reel knobs that deteriorate after a few years of use
Can those be removed (spool shaft) and also can it use normal bearing (no o ring) ?

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:17 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Lurecaster06 wrote: Now I wonder about putting a 96mm Curado K handle on an HG version...
The handle from my 200k HG model fit on my Bantam XG with no issues, I plan to order a 96mm Curado handle soon.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:23 am

egore1 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Lurecaster06 wrote: Now I wonder about putting a 96mm Curado K handle on an HG version...
The handle from my 200k HG model fit on my Bantam XG with no issues, I plan to order a 96mm Curado handle soon.
Yea with a tank reel like that the 96mm should be perfect. As a person who has tried both, which knobs do you prefer???

flyfishy
Angler
Angler

Post by flyfishy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:17 am

Jayce wrote:I'm Very interested on this reel. Checking out the schematics and it
Look like a tank. Im a bit concerned about the O rings used.
Experienced on some reel knobs that deteriorate after a few years of use
Can those be removed (spool shaft) and also can it use normal bearing (no o ring) ?
I tried removing the o-ring on the spool shaft for a couple of casts toward the end of a fishing session so I had the spool bearing remover with me to access and remove the o-ring.
It would cast normally but on the retrieve i could feel a knock or kink happening on every crank as though the spool shaft was not secured.
Fitted the o-ring back and left it as it should be after 3-5 casts maybe?

As for casting bearings without the o-rings, i installed zpi sic bearings which have open shields/cages, it seems that the o-ring on the spool shaft would have some interference with bearings that have open race designs. Casts slow down noticeably so i removed them and placed the stock bearings back.
I’m quite sure an aftermarket bearing with the shields on would work but u might detect a little more vibration when you cast as the only logical reason i reckon those o-rings are integrated with the bearing design is to dampen spool vibrations when the spool gets up to speed on casts.

Cheers

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Yea with a tank reel like that the 96mm should be perfect. As a person who has tried both, which knobs do you prefer???
They seem identical to me, except the caps. Chrome on Bantam and black on the Curado.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:01 pm

egore1 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
They seem identical to me, except the caps. Chrome on Bantam and black on the Curado.
I haven't held or seen a Bantam MGL in person yet, just figured the K knobs were bigger from pictures, the K knobs on the 8.5 I tested a bit were huge, soft, comfortable knobs.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm

The knobs on the bantam are the same as the chronarch mgl- the curado K knobs are larger.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:11 pm

arrowslinger1 wrote:The knobs on the bantam are the same as the chronarch mgl- the curado K knobs are larger.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I also figure if I was to get the Bantam MGL I would go ahead with the XG anyways, kind of wishing my Chronarch MGL was an XG now.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:01 pm

To compete against this reel, Daiwa should release the Z1016 already. Like come the F on :roll:

Everyone been waiting for soon to be a decade.................

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:16 am

SSS wrote:To compete against this reel, Daiwa should release the Z1016 already. Like come the F on :roll:

Yep!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 am

Big-Bass wrote:
SSS wrote:To compete against this reel, Daiwa should release the Z1016 already. Like come the F on :roll:

Yep!
Write customer service letters to daiwa Japan asking for it. They'll chastise you(very kindly of course :D ) for using it, saying that the daiwa Japan customer service is only for Japan residents only, but they will acknowledge it and pass it on.
https://websupport.globeride.co.jp/webf ... iawase.php?

Also post on the daiwa Japan & daiwa ultimate bass Facebook pages.

http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/faceboo ... 1520695213

*Apologies for posting this in a shimano bantam thread :lol:

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:58 pm

egore1 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
*Edit-the Curado knobs are slightly larger and shaped similar to PG II models. Apparently either works for me, as I really didn't notice the size difference initially.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:23 am

This might sound bad, but I don't think Daiwa will do it (soon). The Zillion SV TW is a little big to fit that bill, but damn that G1 spool is unreal. Finally starting to get to fish some more as it warms, but the more I think on reels, I just don't see them releasing a subcompact tank again. The SV103 would have been the best answer to the Bantam and they got rid of it. I would like to see them lover the Zillion price to match the Chronarch MGL.

This all being said, I would absolutely lose it if they produced an SV105 sized reel with the new micro mesh gears and either a 1012 SV G1 or 1016 SV G1 spool. I am still the only one who would be more excited about a Pixy SV with the 1012 G1 or something better...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:16 am

I’ve been looking at older reels so before I invest in them
I would like to know how this reel performs in terms of casting and pitching and
Outside of weight where does it stack up against the Daiwa Steez dynasty and the Shimano cores?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible