Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:02 am

pharmboy wrote:Initial impression: Super smooth tank of a reel that is comfortable in hand and a joy to retrieve - literally ZERO geary feeling to the retrieve. I will say (as others have mentioned) that while I have only 2 days on the water with it, the casting distance thus far is significantly less than Met/chronarch mgl. Only other minor negative is the thumb bar is slightly awkward on my thumb - I find myself always on the edge of the bar, not on the actual button.

Only time will tell where it will play in my arsenal, but I will hold off on grabbing a bunch of these in varied speeds - but i do NOT regret grabbing the 6.4:1 for lipless/chatterbait rod.
This worries me. That super short distance from guide to spool does seem to make me worry some. Most don't mention it, but you and a few others have mentioned that it doesn't cast quite as well as the Metanium/Chronarch MGL...

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon May 07, 2018 11:59 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
pharmboy wrote:Initial impression: Super smooth tank of a reel that is comfortable in hand and a joy to retrieve - literally ZERO geary feeling to the retrieve. I will say (as others have mentioned) that while I have only 2 days on the water with it, the casting distance thus far is significantly less than Met/chronarch mgl. Only other minor negative is the thumb bar is slightly awkward on my thumb - I find myself always on the edge of the bar, not on the actual button.

Only time will tell where it will play in my arsenal, but I will hold off on grabbing a bunch of these in varied speeds - but i do NOT regret grabbing the 6.4:1 for lipless/chatterbait rod.
This worries me. That super short distance from guide to spool does seem to make me worry some. Most don't mention it, but you and a few others have mentioned that it doesn't cast quite as well as the Metanium/Chronarch MGL...

Wow man! I have never seen someone get so worried about a reel. Just order one...if you like it, keep it. If you don't, return it or sell it. I am OCD about stuff but this is insane. :big grin: :shock:

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Big-Bass wrote: Wow man! I have never seen someone get so worried about a reel. Just order one...if you like it, keep it. If you don't, return it or sell it. I am OCD about stuff but this is insane. :big grin: :shock:
Ha, was thinking the same thing but just didn't want to say anything. :doh:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 pm

We finally have the LEFT hand Bantam MGL in stock as of this afternoon. All pre-orders will ship no later than tomorrow and I will be getting one to fish more extensively. From my time on the water with the RH version, I think this is going to be an outstanding reel!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:02 am

Big-Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Wow man! I have never seen someone get so worried about a reel. Just order one...if you like it, keep it. If you don't, return it or sell it. I am OCD about stuff but this is insane. :big grin: :shock:
$350 is a decent amount at this point in life, probably shouldn't even buy the stuff I have now, but close to 30 without a great job makes me hesitant anymore. Sold off tons of Abu stuff I bought a little too quick but luckily got like 90% back. Just give me a few more years when I get life fully back on track and I won't be so OCD/worried anymore. Plan on celebrating by filling in the gaps finally in my rod/reel arsenal.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue May 08, 2018 5:18 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

$350 is a decent amount at this point in life, probably shouldn't even buy the stuff I have now, but close to 30 without a great job makes me hesitant anymore. Sold off tons of Abu stuff I bought a little too quick but luckily got like 90% back. Just give me a few more years when I get life fully back on track and I won't be so OCD/worried anymore. Plan on celebrating by filling in the gaps finally in my rod/reel arsenal.
Not meant to offend at all. I was just saying I think you're worrying about too many little things with this reel. Yes, $350 is a good amount of money to spend, but to worry about schematics, a missing ball bearing etc. that over the longevity of the reel won't probably mean much is not the point of fishing the reel. Just enjoy the reel when you get it and post some pictures of fish that you caught on it. Best wishes on the water!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:15 am

Big-Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Big-Bass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Not meant to offend at all. I was just saying I think you're worrying about too many little things with this reel. Yes, $350 is a good amount of money to spend, but to worry about schematics, a missing ball bearing etc. that over the longevity of the reel won't probably mean much is not the point of fishing the reel. Just enjoy the reel when you get it and post some pictures of fish that you caught on it. Best wishes on the water!
Was about to say, you have a good point, at that price range (even around $200) any reel should be a good one, especially with a good company to back it.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue May 08, 2018 11:51 am

DirtyD64 wrote: Was about to say, you have a good point, at that price range (even around $200) any reel should be a good one, especially with a good company to back it.
D-D64, I'm not sure where you're located but if you're in SoCal, you're welcome to try one of mine out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Winstondry wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote: Was about to say, you have a good point, at that price range (even around $200) any reel should be a good one, especially with a good company to back it.
D-D64, I'm not sure where you're located but if you're in SoCal, you're welcome to try one of mine out.
I'm in Arkansas actually. Not many equipment enthusiasts over here, honestly not a whole bunch of serious fisherman at that... I've never seen an Antares, any high end Shimano (aside of a 13 Metanium). Only used high end Daiwa's and a few others here and there because of a friend who tournament fishes hard.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri May 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Received my Bantam MGL 151XG yesterday from the Tackle Trap. If you have any reservations about their customer service, don't even hesitate as they are top notch! Can't wait to test this bad boy out on the water :mrgreen:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:54 pm

accodn2ryan wrote:Received my Bantam MGL 151XG yesterday from the Tackle Trap. If you have any reservations about their customer service, don't even hesitate as they are top notch! Can't wait to test this bad boy out on the water :mrgreen:
What are you planning to chunk with it???

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
accodn2ryan wrote:Received my Bantam MGL 151XG yesterday from the Tackle Trap. If you have any reservations about their customer service, don't even hesitate as they are top notch! Can't wait to test this bad boy out on the water :mrgreen:
What are you planning to chunk with it???
Going to be using it for froggin and flippin.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:42 pm

The Bantam reels have been shipping with all of the brakes turned to the on position. Turn two off and cast ti again...it should eliminate the distance issues.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Bantam1 wrote:The Bantam reels have been shipping with all of the brakes turned to the on position. Turn two off and cast ti again...it should eliminate the distance issues.
I was about to say, I figure the conical shaped level wind helped to eliminate the issue of having a shorter frame or spool to level wind distance. They have been getting amazing reviews, seems like ya'll did great. I saw a few neutral comments on the Chronarch MGL and it's been amazing, haven't seen even an eye blinked negatively toward the Bantam so it must be even better. Is there going to be much availability of the shallow spool or are they JDM scavenger hunt only???

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:18 am

[/quote]This worries me. That super short distance from guide to spool does seem to make me worry some. Most don't mention it, but you and a few others have mentioned that it doesn't cast quite as well as the Metanium/Chronarch MGL...[/quote]

I get the impression my Chronarch and Metanium beat the Bantam's casting distance by a small margin. They all bomb lures to a distance that has me question the ability to get a decent hook set :D I wouldn't describe the margin as large.