Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Post by arrowslinger1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:56 am

I like to tinker and add bearings. Could someone tell me a couple things..
1. Did this one get the extra bearing on the drive shaft?
2. Does it have a bushing on the worm gear that can be replaced with a bearing like the curado k, met mgl, chron mgl, and aldebaran?
3. Did it get silent tune?
4. Did it get the wide opening line guide like the met and ald?

I am chomping at the bit over this one but wanted this info first. I know different places list it as different bearing counts.
I hope to make this a 12 bearing reel like my others.
I think this reel has super potential. [-o<

Please someone take one apart !!!!
Thanks in advance.

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Post by arrowslinger1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:42 am

Ok, one question answered. Tacklewarehouse has it listed as having silent tune.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:21 pm

arrowslinger1 wrote:I like to tinker and add bearings. Could someone tell me a couple things..
1. Did this one get the extra bearing on the drive shaft?
2. Does it have a bushing on the worm gear that can be replaced with a bearing like the curado k, met mgl, chron mgl, and aldebaran?
3. Did it get silent tune?
4. Did it get the wide opening line guide like the met and ald?

I am chomping at the bit over this one but wanted this info first. I know different places list it as different bearing counts.
I hope to make this a 12 bearing reel like my others.
I think this reel has super potential. [-o<

Please someone take one apart !!!!
Thanks in advance.
Dang you are as bad as me about it!!! It is driving me crazy too... I just don't have any idea why the $180 Curado K gets the 7 most important bearings a reel can get and then they take one off of a new potential flagship upper end reel. I know reels lke the Curado 70 survive fine with just one mainshaft bearing, but for $350 I would really like to see that AR roller bearing protected by 2 bearings... Still hoping that it is actually like the Chronarch MGL bearing system. It is going to permenantly weird me out if they took one bearing away, but I wouldn't be bothered a bit if it didnt have knob bearings, I can add those.

I am worried the only hope we have is for it to have 2 pinion bearings, 2 spool bearings, 2 mainshaft, 1 levelwind, and 1 anti reverse but that doesn't sound like a typical Shimano bearing system. I figure it has 2 pinion, 2 spool, ONE mainshaft, 1 anti reverse, and 2 knob bearings for 8 total and the JDM site just listed it wrong (seen them do this before). Just still will be so shocked if they removed bearing support for the main gear in a reel designated to be a smooth tank...

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

HAHA Yes - I hate trying to find out information on new releases. It drives me crazy- then someone on here always eases my mind with pics of a full dissasymbly.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm

I solved my problem with the Bantam MGL. I bought a Calcutta 200GTB instead. :lol:
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm

VinnyOA wrote:It weighs 7.8 ounces,do yourself a favor and get a metanium instead.
Hell or wait for a higher performance spool for the Curado K to come out. To me the Bantam was such a great possibility because it was like a Shimano version of an SV103 with a G1 spool, but even more versatile because of the shallow spool coming...

Hate to say this, but if they removed a main shaft bearing I will be going with a budget Tatula SV or more likely try a second Chronarch MGL but XG this time...

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:14 pm

VinnyOA wrote:It weighs 7.8 ounces,do yourself a favor and get a metanium instead.
I have 6 metainium mgl, 5 or 6 chronarch mgls, a conquest mgl, 3 aldebarans and a couple of curado ks...
This reel is basically a conquest in a low profile frame. I just like to try new reels. I also
Don’t mind giving up some weight for a full metal body.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 pm

When did fishermen become a bunch of sissys? :lol:
<")))><{

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Weighs same as the curado K. You won't notice much difference vs metanium.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

I think the Bantam is great, but if they are removing key bearings, and not giving any real light lure casting advantages, I don't see why (for me at least) the Chronarch MGL wouldn't be better. The 3 biggest bass I have ever caught have been on a Stradic Ci4+FA (2 fish) and a junker tiny 500 size Mitchell reel. The Stradic didn't flex a bit and still fishes like a champ, the Mitchell sits in my dad's garage and he beats on it all the time, still catching tons of fish.

I am all for a tough metal frame that helps durability and maintain gear smoothness, but it depends on what features I am giving up to justify an $70 increase in price. If the bearing count is down and the spool isn't much lighter, I'm gonna lose a good chunk of interest in the Bantam MGL and either target a JDM Metanium or Chronarch MGL XG... Also does the Bantam get the shrimpy 84mm handle or at least a 90???

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:38 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I think the Bantam is great, but if they are removing key bearings, and not giving any real light lure casting advantages, I don't see why (for me at least) the Chronarch MGL wouldn't be better. The 3 biggest bass I have ever caught have been on a Stradic Ci4+FA (2 fish) and a junker tiny 500 size Mitchell reel. The Stradic didn't flex a bit and still fishes like a champ, the Mitchell sits in my dad's garage and he beats on it all the time, still catching tons of fish.

I am all for a tough metal frame that helps durability and maintain gear smoothness, but it depends on what features I am giving up to justify an $70 increase in price. If the bearing count is down and the spool isn't much lighter, I'm gonna lose a good chunk of interest in the Bantam MGL and either target a JDM Metanium or Chronarch MGL XG... Also does the Bantam get the shrimpy 84mm handle or at least a 90???
Key bearings? My Shimano Core has 5 bearings and it's the reel I enjoy fishing the most. I'm sure the reel will be just fine and if one less bearing bothers you, you might be OCD :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:22 am

chreim20 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I think the Bantam is great, but if they are removing key bearings, and not giving any real light lure casting advantages, I don't see why (for me at least) the Chronarch MGL wouldn't be better. The 3 biggest bass I have ever caught have been on a Stradic Ci4+FA (2 fish) and a junker tiny 500 size Mitchell reel. The Stradic didn't flex a bit and still fishes like a champ, the Mitchell sits in my dad's garage and he beats on it all the time, still catching tons of fish.

Key bearings? My Shimano Core has 5 bearings and it's the reel I enjoy fishing the most. I'm sure the reel will be just fine and if one less bearing bothers you, you might be OCD :lol:
I am selectively... I mean I know from engineering that a solid metal frame (not to mention an almost 8oz one) should hold more than enough support for the AR bearing. I guess my OCD kicks in when the Curado K ($180) has a feature that a $350 MIGHT not. My old Tatula R isn't perfect by any means, but I still fish with it like crazy and catch plenty. I guess the thought of paying that much for a reel makes me OCD. Probably be wiser for me to just buy a JDM Metanium. Just all that aluminum gear buzzing and no warranty talk scares me.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:31 am

All this talk about what's better n all. Just get an OG Steez and you're golden :P

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:23 pm

VinnyOA wrote:Dude get the metanium MGL,it's such a shmexy reel.
Shmexy? Is that like "smokin sexy"? :lol:
<")))><{