Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Post by Slazmo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:43 pm

y2k88 wrote:My question is the opposite, whether those spool bearings can be put in other reels.

Maybe it's also to dampen the spool/bearing vibrations.
Thats your silent tune in action there!

flyfishy
Angler
Angler

Post by flyfishy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:01 am

After 2 full sessions with it alongside my metanium MGL, my bantam required different settings on the inside and outside dial as compared to the metanium MGL.
For example, I set my metanium MGL on 2 brakes internally and on the number 3 on the external dial to cast the OSP Blitz Max DR (this is my optimal setting for the best distance I can achieve)
With the Bantam, it just would not get the same distance on the same setting and I would have to use only 1 brake inside and number 3-4 externaly to get the same distance.
If i were to use the 1 internal - 3 external on the metanium MGL, it would blow up in my face. Only able to cast 1oz topwater plugs on this configuration.
Somehow, the Bantam doesnt seem to cast as well as the metanium MGL which leaves me clueless as they have almost identical spools bar minimal weight differences but different versions of silent tune.

Mine’s the PG version which i use for shallow and medium running crankbaits.
Casting aside, it’s incredibly smooth on the retrieve and had more than enough power to handle fish.

Anyone here compared it side by side to a Metanium MGL?

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 am

Tactical bassin's review just went up-
https://youtu.be/_o_xtIlBmXQ

Great looking reel =D>

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:08 am

Does anyone think the short distance to the levelwind might affect the Bantam's casting? I doubt it for heavier lures, but haven't heard of anyone using lighter lures with this tank of a reel.

I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I am still seeing the -1 bearing count all over the place. People's schematic's showed 9 bearings early on from JDM orders, but now and still the US sites all show 7+1. Probably just need to buy one and find out myself, but I am starting to think a Metanium is a better idea...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:36 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Does anyone think the short distance to the levelwind might affect the Bantam's casting? I doubt it for heavier lures, but haven't heard of anyone using lighter lures with this tank of a reel.

I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I am still seeing the -1 bearing count all over the place. People's schematic's showed 9 bearings early on from JDM orders, but now and still the US sites all show 7+1. Probably just need to buy one and find out myself, but I am starting to think a Metanium is a better idea...

You'll be alright one way or the other. Curado K gears fit the met to cure your future bad decision. :whistle:

Lurecaster06
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lurecaster06 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Initially I had the same concern about the levelwind. Haven't had the chance to get out and fish mine yet but with a 1/4 oz casting plug in the yard it absolutely bombs! Very impressed with the casting so far. Handles that weight about on par with my Metanium MGL. I think the extra large conical line guide helps compensate for the levelwind being relatively close to the spool.

Regarding the bearings, it definitely has 9 total (8bb+1rb). Two on the spool (one is silent tune), two on the pinion gear, two ball bearings on the drive shaft, one roller bearing on the drive shaft, and one bearing in each handle knob. Same configuration as the Chronarch MGL but with the handle side spool bearing placed closer to the spool (i.e silent tune) instead of under the spool tension.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:44 pm

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Does anyone think the short distance to the levelwind might affect the Bantam's casting? I doubt it for heavier lures, but haven't heard of anyone using lighter lures with this tank of a reel.

You'll be alright one way or the other. Curado K gears fit the met to cure your future bad decision. :whistle:
Maybe just another Chronarch MGL then??? haha. Recently I have just enjoyed being on the water at all, weather is horrible in Arkansas.

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:50 pm

I was finally able to put the bantam to the test with some decent fish. The Bantam is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It will be replacing my metanium mgl as my new jig reel. There is something about this reel that adds sensitivity, it is very noticeable, it could be the all aluminum construction. No issues with the drag. Very powerful reel.

I will be pairing this with a destroyer fmj this weekend, I can't wait to feel how the sensitivity is on that combo :big grin:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Ajaxin wrote: I was finally able to put the bantam to the test with some decent fish. The Bantam is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It will be replacing my metanium mgl as my new jig reel. There is something about this reel that adds sensitivity, it is very noticeable, it could be the all aluminum construction. No issues with the drag. Very powerful reel.

I will be pairing this with a destroyer fmj this weekend, I can't wait to feel how the sensitivity is on that combo :big grin:
Think one will match well on a MH Curado rod? I spend more money on reels, but the Curado 7'2"MH looks good, need a new jig/worm setup a little stronger than a Medium.

Ajaxin
Angler
Angler

Post by Ajaxin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:23 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Ajaxin wrote: I was finally able to put the bantam to the test with some decent fish. The Bantam is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It will be replacing my metanium mgl as my new jig reel. There is something about this reel that adds sensitivity, it is very noticeable, it could be the all aluminum construction. No issues with the drag. Very powerful reel.

Think one will match well on a MH Curado rod? I spend more money on reels, but the Curado 7'2"MH looks good, need a new jig/worm setup a little stronger than a Medium.
I think this reel would match well on any rod you put it on unless you want the lightest possible combo. It throws light stuff well and handles 3/4 oz football jigs without a problem at all. I am sure you could throw much heavier baits then 3/4 oz with it but that's as high as I went on my last outing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Lurecaster06 wrote:Initially I had the same concern about the levelwind. Haven't had the chance to get out and fish mine yet but with a 1/4 oz casting plug in the yard it absolutely bombs! Very impressed with the casting so far. Handles that weight about on par with my Metanium MGL. I think the extra large conical line guide helps compensate for the levelwind being relatively close to the spool.

Regarding the bearings, it definitely has 9 total (8bb+1rb). Two on the spool (one is silent tune), two on the pinion gear, two ball bearings on the drive shaft, one roller bearing on the drive shaft, and one bearing in each handle knob. Same configuration as the Chronarch MGL but with the handle side spool bearing placed closer to the spool (i.e silent tune) instead of under the spool tension.
I have figured this ever since someone posted the schematic early on, just funny that after this long they haven't corrected it on the US sites. The further I think back the Chronarch MGL might have initially been listed wrong for a SHORT time too.

Now I wonder about putting a 96mm Curado K handle on an HG version...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:08 am

This reel reminds me of the daiwa Z astetically. It’s like the smaller version and that is one of the biggest appeals to me
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:24 am

goldrod wrote:This reel reminds me of the daiwa Z astetically. It’s like the smaller version and that is one of the biggest appeals to me
Without the multi piece frame, crappy Chinese manufactured plastic thumb bar, flimsy clutch bar metal that traverses the thumb bar, yet awesome hyper alloy main and pinion, multi stack drag and a few other things that were in favour and pain of the Z's.

The Bantam, this is a simple yet impressive baitcaster imho.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 am

goldrod wrote:This reel reminds me of the daiwa Z astetically. It’s like the smaller version and that is one of the biggest appeals to me
As much as I hate to say it, it reminds me of the Z too. Especially looking at it from above where it appears wide & flat. It's like shimano took notice of all the Daiwa fans begging & wishing for a smaller Z(z1016/z100).
This is the only low pro shimano reel that's really appealed to me since the Chron D. I can see myself getting one down the road.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:59 pm

I am very excited to get one. I do see the TD-Z similarities and love that (TD-Z, TD-X Air Metal, OG Zillion, SV103) body style. Classic!