Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby chreim20 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:33 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I think the Bantam is great, but if they are removing key bearings, and not giving any real light lure casting advantages, I don't see why (for me at least) the Chronarch MGL wouldn't be better. The 3 biggest bass I have ever caught have been on a Stradic Ci4+FA (2 fish) and a junker tiny 500 size Mitchell reel. The Stradic didn't flex a bit and still fishes like a champ, the Mitchell sits in my dad's garage and he beats on it all the time, still catching tons of fish.

I am all for a tough metal frame that helps durability and maintain gear smoothness, but it depends on what features I am giving up to justify an $70 increase in price. If the bearing count is down and the spool isn't much lighter, I'm gonna lose a good chunk of interest in the Bantam MGL and either target a JDM Metanium or Chronarch MGL XG... Also does the Bantam get the shrimpy 84mm handle or at least a 90???


Key bearings? My Shimano Core has 5 bearings and it's the reel I enjoy fishing the most. I'm sure the reel will be just fine and if one less bearing bothers you, you might be OCD :lol:


I am selectively... I mean I know from engineering that a solid metal frame (not to mention an almost 8oz one) should hold more than enough support for the AR bearing. I guess my OCD kicks in when the Curado K ($180) has a feature that a $350 MIGHT not. My old Tatula R isn't perfect by any means, but I still fish with it like crazy and catch plenty. I guess the thought of paying that much for a reel makes me OCD. Probably be wiser for me to just buy a JDM Metanium. Just all that aluminum gear buzzing and no warranty talk scares me.


My Bantam MGL should be here soon, I'll take a picture of the schematics if that would help you out with your OCD, lol \:D/

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 pm

chreim20 wrote:
My Bantam MGL should be here soon, I'll take a picture of the schematics if that would help you out with your OCD, lol \:D/


Yes please

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:04 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
My Bantam MGL should be here soon, I'll take a picture of the schematics if that would help you out with your OCD, lol \:D/


Yes please


Yes please times 2

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby chreim20 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 am

Will do, when it gets here I'll post an image on this thread.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby Kurt L » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
chreim20 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I think the Bantam is great, but if they are removing key bearings, and not giving any real light lure casting advantages, I don't see why (for me at least) the Chronarch MGL wouldn't be better. The 3 biggest bass I have ever caught have been on a Stradic Ci4+FA (2 fish) and a junker tiny 500 size Mitchell reel. The Stradic didn't flex a bit and still fishes like a champ, the Mitchell sits in my dad's garage and he beats on it all the time, still catching tons of fish.

I am all for a tough metal frame that helps durability and maintain gear smoothness, but it depends on what features I am giving up to justify an $70 increase in price. If the bearing count is down and the spool isn't much lighter, I'm gonna lose a good chunk of interest in the Bantam MGL and either target a JDM Metanium or Chronarch MGL XG... Also does the Bantam get the shrimpy 84mm handle or at least a 90???


Key bearings? My Shimano Core has 5 bearings and it's the reel I enjoy fishing the most. I'm sure the reel will be just fine and if one less bearing bothers you, you might be OCD :lol:


I am selectively... I mean I know from engineering that a solid metal frame (not to mention an almost 8oz one) should hold more than enough support for the AR bearing. I guess my OCD kicks in when the Curado K ($180) has a feature that a $350 MIGHT not. My old Tatula R isn't perfect by any means, but I still fish with it like crazy and catch plenty. I guess the thought of paying that much for a reel makes me OCD. Probably be wiser for me to just buy a JDM Metanium. Just all that aluminum gear buzzing and no warranty talk scares me.


I went JDM with my Met MGL and got a TURD!, It was so rough, just garbage but Bantam helped me out and for a $20. fee Shimano USA repaired it! so I'm totally on board with the Met. If it develops the "buzz" its only $23. for the Curado Brass drive gear. I switched both of my mine and they are smoooth smooooth now!

I was drooling on myself to get the Bantam but what will I get over the Met. after the upgrade? more weight? I will get a Bantam at some point but I'm not in a hurry at all anymore.

Kurt

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:38 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby lifeofRiley » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:49 pm

I have a met MGL. It's a fine reel. I would take the bantam MGL over a met any day of the week. All aluminum reel is the way to go.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:13 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby Kurt L » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:I have a met MGL. It's a fine reel. I would take the bantam MGL over a met any day of the week. All aluminum reel is the way to go.


Why? I have caught a whole lot of Salmon on two different Metaniums and they have never skipped a beat and are literaly still like new, I have lots of Aluminum reels as well Luna's etc. they have not performed any better for my use! I don't think many people have had a chance to put there hands on the Bantam yet to even know if they will like them yet. I will own one soon but I have a Steez SV (Magnesium frame) to shake down first. 8-[

Kurt

User avatar
arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby arrowslinger1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Ok from pics I found on Instagram - it does have the larger opening line guide like the met.
Lots of opinions on this thread...

The metainium mgl in my opinion is a great lighter bait (up to 1/2 oz) type finesse reel. It is light, smooth, zero complaints- it does have the ci4 material palm side plate.
The bantam mgls being all aluminum (like the conquest) simply will be a tougher reel. More for 1/2 and above in my opinion - I know the metainium will certainly handle it fine- but if u really wanna winch on something the all aluminum and brass gears is where it’s at. And I know the bantam will also handle lighter duties - but I personally like light reels for light baits (ald,met)
I use the chronarch mgls for my jigs (even tho they are a composit reel) because they have brass gears and are light enough to pair with my nrx’s

I plan to use the bantam mgl on a hv 7’5 or bigger rod for swimbaits and a rig.
The curado K works great- just like to try new gear.

Mainly just looking for the schematic to answer a few more question =D> \:D/
Must buy all jdm shimanos.....

User avatar
Slazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby Slazmo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:38 pm

VinnyOA wrote:Lol at all the peeps saying the aluminium frame on the bantam is better for salmon that the magnesium frame on the met. So funny either aluminium or magnesium will handle big game fish easily,the only difference is weight.


And corrosion susceptibility - i know which one I'd rather use.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 am

arrowslinger1 wrote:Ok from pics I found on Instagram - it does have the larger opening line guide like the met.
Lots of opinions on this thread...

The metainium mgl in my opinion is a great lighter bait (up to 1/2 oz) type finesse reel. It is light, smooth, zero complaints- it does have the ci4 material palm side plate.
The bantam mgls being all aluminum (like the conquest) simply will be a tougher reel. More for 1/2 and above in my opinion - I know the metainium will certainly handle it fine- but if u really wanna winch on something the all aluminum and brass gears is where it’s at. And I know the bantam will also handle lighter duties - but I personally like light reels for light baits (ald,met)
I use the chronarch mgls for my jigs (even tho they are a composit reel) because they have brass gears and are light enough to pair with my nrx’s

I plan to use the bantam mgl on a hv 7’5 or bigger rod for swimbaits and a rig.
The curado K works great- just like to try new gear.

Mainly just looking for the schematic to answer a few more question =D> \:D/



I watched a TW product video not long ago where the 2 fisherman (Linter and someone else) were slinging A-Rigs with Chronarch MGL's. Along with using other large baits and like 65lb braid the reels seemed to handle it fine. I had a friend who threw 20lb fluoro on a Ci4+ Chronarch and tossed wayyyy to big of lures with it... For some reason he stopped liking his, but it took the abuse just fine.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:38 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby lifeofRiley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 am

Kurt L wrote:
lifeofRiley wrote:I have a met MGL. It's a fine reel. I would take the bantam MGL over a met any day of the week. All aluminum reel is the way to go.


Why? I have caught a whole lot of Salmon on two different Metaniums and they have never skipped a beat and are literaly still like new, I have lots of Aluminum reels as well Luna's etc. they have not performed any better for my use! I don't think many people have had a chance to put there hands on the Bantam yet to even know if they will like them yet. I will own one soon but I have a Steez SV (Magnesium frame) to shake down first. 8-[

Kurt


Yeah, the metaniums really are a good reel. And I'm sure they can handle large fish with ease. To me there's something about an all aluminum reel. I think aluminum is denser and helps to deaden vibrations inside the reel, so that I can feel what's happening with my lure better. The Chronarch D is an all time favorite of many and it's all aluminum. The Bantam MGL looks similar in shape to the curado K, and I have had a number of good friends and good fisherman rave about that reel. And the fact that it comes with brass gears, and no swap is required, makes it all the better. I haven't seen the reel yet, but if it's everything that it could be, Katie bar the door!!!

User avatar
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:41 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby y2k88 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:01 am

Interesting size comparison to the met mgl. Didn't realise it was smaller?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sNrRdwPNg
(don't let the background tune drive you crazy)

Image

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1340
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:34 am

Interesting videos, could almost see the schematic on the one you posted. I want to know about that dang bearing so bad. Just really, really hope it has 2 on the main shaft but no idea why that bothers me so bad.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby Winstondry » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Which of you TT’ers recently picked one up from the auction site. It looks like there are a couple sellers that have them for a pretty decent price.

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 am

Re: Bantam MGL Who has their hands on one?

Postby chreim20 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Winstondry wrote:Which of you TT’ers recently picked one up from the auction site. It looks like there are a couple sellers that have them for a pretty decent price.


I will have mine in hand in a couple days!


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: btoups and 14 guests