Steez SV (non TW)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Steez SV (non TW)

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Interesting comments. The Steez SV103 is the same form factor as the previous Steez. Out of the reels mentioned in this thread, I would place the Steez SV103 at number 2 on my palmability list.
1) Steez SV TW, complete cradle like comfort
2) Steez, perhaps a bit wider than the SV103 (Zillion OG), but not as tall. Sits low when mounted. Reel isn't as tall as the SV103 or Zillion SV TW. I also think it seats lower than both.
The only other reels with better ergonomics than the Steez imo -
Steez SV TW #1
Alphas platform #2
T3 platform #3
Tdz platform #4
I also have quite small hands. There's something special about the overall curvature to the Steez SV TW and T3. Kinda flat, low, and rounded in all the right places. Obviously the Alphas is the smallest of the bunch.
Thanks Hogsticker, appreciate the perspective. Could be I’m just worrying too much and over thinking it, just don’t want to end up with something I don’t like. There’s enough feedback saying the Steez SV TW is a significant improvement that for what probably amounts to a $100 difference I’m probably better off waiting and splurging on one later then just getting the Steez SV103 now because it’s a good deal. You’re desc of the Steez SV103 being lower made me rethink, but then you said wider then the SV103 and I don’t think I’d like that.

Of the reels I have in level of comfort it’s:
#1 13Met
#2 Chronarch CI4+/Chronarch MGL
#3 Tatula SV TW (neck and neck with the Chronarch) despite the wide front end it sits low and is narrow enough at the back
#4 Scorpion 1001XT (almost too small)
#5 Curado 201i
#6 Dead last is my T3 1016, I like how flat and low it is, did it very smooth, but it’s too wide and angular in a few places I’d prefer curves. I’ve tried selling it but so far haven’t found a taker at a decent price.

All this just proves is that ergonomics and comfort are very individual and highly subjective. I may end up ordering the Steez SV103 to check out and if it’s not for me send it back. But I think I’m more interested in waiting to see what The Tackle Trap can do on a Steez SV TW for me, and how I like a couple Zillions first. I love high end gear but with two young kids at home I’m not fishing enough to keep buyin top of the line to let it sit and not get used.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Kschultz76 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:Interesting comments. The Steez SV103 is the same form factor as the previous Steez. Out of the reels mentioned in this thread, I would place the Steez SV103 at number 2 on my palmability list.
1) Steez SV TW, complete cradle like comfort
2) Steez, perhaps a bit wider than the SV103 (Zillion OG), but not as tall. Sits low when mounted. Reel isn't as tall as the SV103 or Zillion SV TW. I also think it seats lower than both.
The only other reels with better ergonomics than the Steez imo -
Steez SV TW #1
Alphas platform #2
T3 platform #3
Tdz platform #4
I also have quite small hands. There's something special about the overall curvature to the Steez SV TW and T3. Kinda flat, low, and rounded in all the right places. Obviously the Alphas is the smallest of the bunch.
Thanks Hogsticker, appreciate the perspective. Could be I’m just worrying too much and over thinking it, just don’t want to end up with something I don’t like. There’s enough feedback saying the Steez SV TW is a significant improvement that for what probably amounts to a $100 difference I’m probably better off waiting and splurging on one later then just getting the Steez SV103 now because it’s a good deal. You’re desc of the Steez SV103 being lower made me rethink, but then you said wider then the SV103 and I don’t think I’d like that.

Of the reels I have in level of comfort it’s:
#1 13Met
#2 Chronarch CI4+/Chronarch MGL
#3 Tatula SV TW (neck and neck with the Chronarch) despite the wide front end it sits low and is narrow enough at the back
#4 Scorpion 1001XT (almost too small)
#5 Curado 201i
#6 Dead last is my T3 1016, I like how flat and low it is, did it very smooth, but it’s too wide and angular in a few places I’d prefer curves. I’ve tried selling it but so far haven’t found a taker at a decent price.

All this just proves is that ergonomics and comfort are very individual and highly subjective. I may end up ordering the Steez SV103 to check out and if it’s not for me send it back. But I think I’m more interested in waiting to see what The Tackle Trap can do on a Steez SV TW for me, and how I like a couple Zillions first. I love high end gear but with two young kids at home I’m not fishing enough to keep buyin top of the line to let it sit and not get used.
WHat it's worth. I got my Steez SV TWS from landbigfish for 400 USD shipped when they had their 20% sale. Might be worth waiting for the next one and getting it over the Steez SV103.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Side by side Met MGL/13 Vs Steez SV (Non TW) the Steez is smaller in just about all respects. I can get my hand much further around it than with my Mets.

Kurt

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Kurt L wrote:Side by side Met MGL/13 Vs Steez SV (Non TW) the Steez is smaller in just about all respects. I can get my hand much further around it than with my Mets.

Kurt
Wow, good to know didn’t realize it was that small. Must be a lot smaller then a Zillion SV TW then. Thanks!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:15 pm

My hands arent huge and I'm a big Daiwa fan, so this is a subjective opinion.....the Steez palms great, much better than the Met, at least for me. Taking nothing away from the Met, they are excellent reels! In true TT fashion, just buy both. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:21 pm

Kschultz76 wrote:
Kurt L wrote:Side by side Met MGL/13 Vs Steez SV (Non TW) the Steez is smaller in just about all respects. I can get my hand much further around it than with my Mets.

Kurt
Wow, good to know didn’t realize it was that small. Must be a lot smaller then a Zillion SV TW then. Thanks!
They palm like an Alphas/Pixy but just a little wider.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 am

Kschultz76 wrote:

Kurt
It's much smaller than a Tat. CT there not even close, I haven't put my hands on the Zillion yet.

Kurt

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:28 am

Kurt L wrote:
Kschultz76 wrote:

Kurt
It's much smaller than a Tat. CT there not even close, I haven't put my hands on the Zillion yet.

Kurt
Zillion SV TW, Tatula SV TW, Tatula CT and Tatula CT Type R are all built on the same frame.

Steez SV TW/Steez TW A is much much smaller.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks again guys. Still not decided but I’ve learned a lot here to help me make my decision.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Ive got a Steez SV and a Met13- the Steez palms great but so does the Met. I guess thats not terribly helpful. Ive got small'ish hands but both reels feel good IMHO. The Steez, as folks said, sits lower and a tad squatter. The SV103 also palms 'right' to me.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sun May 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Is this reel being discontinued? I noticed tw doesn't list them anymore.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:30 am

KP Duty wrote:Is this reel being discontinued? I noticed tw doesn't list them anymore.
Not certain but it looks that way.
I picked a new one up recently for a little over $250.
Hell of a deal on a sweet reel.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Mon May 21, 2018 12:31 pm

PaBass75 wrote:
KP Duty wrote:Is this reel being discontinued? I noticed tw doesn't list them anymore.
Not certain but it looks that way.
I picked a new one up recently for a little over $250.
Hell of a deal on a sweet reel.
Yeah...just picked up a new 6.3 for $270 shipped on the bay. Pretty pumped to score a few more for cheap...plastic side plate and all :mrgreen: . Didn't bother me on my td-z's....and tons of spool options. I've signed up.