Steez SV (non TW)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez SV (non TW)

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:35 am

Kschultz76 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:You can get a Steez SV TW A BNIB on the bay for same price TW is selling the steez SV. I sold a steez SV to fund another Steez SV TW A. I just flat out love those reels.
You can also get a Steez SV103 on ebay for much cheaper than listed retail prices. But yeah, I'd much rather have the SV TW. Best reel I've ever used, hands down.
What are u using the reel for? I ordered a Steez SV TWS and was planning to use it on my jig rod for 3/8-3/4 oz jigs.
I use a Steez SV TW on my flipping/pitching jig rod for the same weight jigs
I use a Steez SV TW A for swim jigs. Might be ordering yet another for squarebills.
Ok so I’m gonna admit my confusion. You keep referring to a Steez SV TW A, from what I’ve looked at and what I can find that model doesn’t exist. Are you buying a Steez A TW and installing an SV spool in it?

Steez SV TW:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_St ... -DSVT.html

Steez TW A:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_St ... DSVAX.html

Steez TW A has a G1 1016 spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm

The Steez A does not come with an SV spool. It has the G1 version of the 1016 spool. Oddly enough, the G1 1016 spool that comes with the Steez A will not work in the Steez SV TW, however the Steez SV TW spool works quite well in the Steez A.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks guys all the feedback and input. Definitely learning more then I have searching. Seems like I’ve got some tough choices to make, but that maybe there’s also not a bad choice among them.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:38 pm

I had the Steez A and have the Steez SV TWS right now.

My 2 cents: if you want to get the Steez A for its saltwater proofing, more line capacity and because you want to throw heavier lures, I would honestly not buy it. There are cheaper options out there (SV103, Zillion HD) that do the same for less money in my opinion.

If you want something to throw lures up to 3/4 oz and only fish it in freshwater and you are taking care of your gear, get the Steez SV TWS!

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 am

freelancer27 wrote:I had the Steez A and have the Steez SV TWS right now.

My 2 cents: if you want to get the Steez A for its saltwater proofing, more line capacity and because you want to throw heavier lures, I would honestly not buy it. There are cheaper options out there (SV103, Zillion HD) that do the same for less money in my opinion.

If you want something to throw lures up to 3/4 oz and only fish it in freshwater and you are taking care of your gear, get the Steez SV TWS!
Care to share where you are getting SV103s from? PM if you want. TIA

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 am

In terms of comfort and handling can anyone who has time with them provide some feedback comparing how low in the reel seat the Steez SV103 sits compared to the Zillion SV or Tatula Sv or even a Chronarch MGL? From what I can tell in photos the Steez appears to sit up just a bit higher and has a more rounded top profile.

I kow it blasphemous to say this but the SV103 (OG Zillion) is not a comfortable reel for me bc of how it sits up in the reel seat. If this Steez body is similar it may not be a good choice for me ergonomically. Despite the wide front end the Tatula SV is pretty comfortable for me.

Thanks

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:38 am

Kschultz76 wrote:In terms of comfort and handling can anyone who has time with them provide some feedback comparing how low in the reel seat the Steez SV103 sits compared to the Zillion SV or Tatula Sv or even a Chronarch MGL? From what I can tell in photos the Steez appears to sit up just a bit higher and has a more rounded top profile.

I kow it blasphemous to say this but the SV103 (OG Zillion) is not a comfortable reel for me bc of how it sits up in the reel seat. If this Steez body is similar it may not be a good choice for me ergonomically. Despite the wide front end the Tatula SV is pretty comfortable for me.

Thanks
I think the smart move for you, if you can do it, is to find a local tackle store that has the reels in stock, and then make a trip there to handle them yourself, so you'll really know what fits you best.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 am

mark poulson wrote:I think the smart move for you, if you can do it, is to find a local tackle store that has the reels in stock, and then make a trip there to handle them yourself, so you'll really know what fits you best.
I would prefer to do that if I could for sure, but I don't think any brick and mortar retailers still have the Steez SV (103 model, not TW) in stock for me to check out. That's why I'm looking for feedback from folks here with hands on experience with these reels. I know ergonomics are highly subjective so its a challenge, that's why I asked specifically about the height of the reel when mounted compared to others that I've handled, to me that's quantitative.

Really appreciate the feedback and info shared by everyone so far.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am

In terms of palming ability I like the old Steez SV frame, then the Chronarch MGL, then the Zillion SV TW. I only have the SS/SV (for frame comparison) though, so I use it least, the Zillion SV TW by far most, then the Chronarch MGL. I really like my Zillion SV TW reels, they aren't as refined as a Steez variant, but for the sale price I got them, I'm very happy.

Might just keep an eye out though, if that Steez SV hits around $300 area I will have one...

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 am

Kschultz76 wrote:In terms of comfort and handling can anyone who has time with them provide some feedback comparing how low in the reel seat the Steez SV103 sits compared to the Zillion SV or Tatula Sv or even a Chronarch MGL? From what I can tell in photos the Steez appears to sit up just a bit higher and has a more rounded top profile.

Thanks
I bought a couple when they were available at TW. I have a almost mint SV103XS Lefty that I am barely using. Make me an offer and I will see ;)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm

All the different Steez models confuse the hell out of me. I have an (non-steez) SV103 and find it comfortable to palm. I have a Steez LTD SV, that while I love the performance, I find to be too big and uncomfortable to palm. I have held a Steez SV TWS mounted on a rod and it seems like it would be comfortable reel, I am hesitant to buy a high-end reel only to have to sell it for a loss if it cramps my hand.

So what other Steezes are closer in size/shape to the OG Zillion/sv103, other then the new SV TWS?

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:36 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks
I bought a couple when they were available at TW. I have a almost mint SV103XS Lefty that I am barely using. Make me an offer and I will see ;)
Sorry but the SV103 reel based on the OG Zillion isn't the reel that I'm interested in or asking about. I've tried that reel on a rod before, and its height off the reel seat caused me discomfort for my wrist and it went back.

The reel I'm trying to get feedback on is the Steez SV against the Zillion SV TW and/or Chronarch MGL.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Kschultz76 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

Thanks
Sorry but the SV103 reel based on the OG Zillion isn't the reel that I'm interested in or asking about. I've tried that reel on a rod before, and its height off the reel seat caused me discomfort for my wrist and it went back.

The reel I'm trying to get feedback on is the Steez SV against the Zillion SV TW and/or Chronarch MGL.
I have the SV103 and the Steez SV TWS and the later sits much flatter on my rod.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read and respond, and patience with this Daiwa newbie. I think I’m going to skip the Steez sV for now based on what I’ve heard so far about the ergonomics, and images I’ve been able to find and compare of it mounted on rods compared to reels I know.

Will likely be getting a couple Zillion SV TW as I had planned, then save my surprise mad money for investing in a Steez SV TW down the line if I decide I want something a step above or more refined. Maybe I’ll find someplace to actually try one hands on at some point.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Interesting comments. The Steez SV103 is the same form factor as the previous Steez. Out of the reels mentioned in this thread, I would place the Steez SV103 at number 2 on my palmability list.
1) Steez SV TW, complete cradle like comfort
2) Steez, perhaps a bit wider than the SV103 (Zillion OG), but not as tall. Sits low when mounted. Reel isn't as tall as the SV103 or Zillion SV TW. I also think it seats lower than both.
The only other reels with better ergonomics than the Steez imo -
Steez SV TW #1
Alphas platform #2
T3 platform #3
Tdz platform #4
I also have quite small hands. There's something special about the overall curvature to the Steez SV TW and T3. Kinda flat, low, and rounded in all the right places. Obviously the Alphas is the smallest of the bunch.