Steez SV (non TW)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez SV (non TW)

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:20 am

I’m about to get a couple Zillion SV TW to add to my lineup since I’ve liked my Tatula SV so well. I still love my 13 Metanium, and my Chronarch MGL is great as well. But the control and ease of casting of the Tatula SV convinced me to give Daiwa some more love.

I just got some unexpected mad money from work so will likely add a whole new rod and reel combo, and those extra funds got me looking at reel options again.

What do folks with hands on use think of the Steez SV(non TW), especially compared to the Zillion SV? I searched here and on google and couldn’t find much in the way of reviews or hands on impressions. Seemed early on folks were doubtful of the reel and didn’t regard it as a true Steez. At its current price it’s tempting. But if it’s performance isn’t up to the price or the Steez reputation then I’d stick to another Zillion SV or maybe save my sheckles and wait till I can afford a good price on a Steez SV TW. I’m also not a fan of the 8.1 gears, for me a 7.1is just more versatile. I also like what I’m hearing about the Zillion SV being the least restrictive and freest casting of the SVs.

Appreciate anything folks are able to share. Thanks!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez SV (non TW)

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:32 am

I have used both, own 2 Zillion SV TW's and one Chronarch MGL. A good friend that tournament fishes a ton has both a 6.3 and 8.1 Steez SV. For me they just feel like supped up SS/SV's (which I also own and like, now that it has a Zillion SV TW spool). But yeah, for the price I would just get another Zillion SV and save $100 (assuming you get a 15% off sale).

The Zillion SV TW is NOT as refined for me, I swear my friend's knobs on those Steez SV spin for like a minute from just a slight turn, but the performance difference isn't there for me. The thumb bar is a little looser and MAYBE the retrieve isn't quite as good on the Zillion SV TW, but for the $$$ difference I'd stick with the Zillion SV TW.

If I were to buy another reel right now it would be a 3rd Zillion SV TW, new Shimano Bantam MGL, or possibly even another Chronarch MGL.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:08 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I have used both, own 2 Zillion SV TW's and one Chronarch MGL. A good friend that tournament fishes a ton has both a 6.3 and 8.1 Steez SV. For me they just feel like supped up SS/SV's (which I also own and like, now that it has a Zillion SV TW spool). But yeah, for the price I would just get another Zillion SV and save $100 (assuming you get a 15% off sale).

The Zillion SV TW is NOT as refined for me, I swear my friend's knobs on those Steez SV spin for like a minute from just a slight turn, but the performance difference isn't there for me. The thumb bar is a little looser and MAYBE the retrieve isn't quite as good on the Zillion SV TW, but for the $$$ difference I'd stick with the Zillion SV TW.

If I were to buy another reel right now it would be a 3rd Zillion SV TW, new Shimano Bantam MGL, or possibly even another Chronarch MGL.
Thanks that was helpful and reinforced what I was thinking. I just keep being tempted by the Steez at that price. I know where to get good pricing on the Zillion SV, and would add bearings under the knobs, and likely upgrade the spool bearings. Then when it’s time for a full service I’d have Bryan at the Trap do his thing and add some level wind bearings.

Just gotta wait for the Tackle Trap to get the 7.1 lefty Zillion SV in stock.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Of all the mentioned reels I only have a Steez 103SV and I love it. It´s buttery smooth, palms great and casts easy and very far. Lot´s of people say it´s overbraked, it´s not a Steez and so on. And I believed it from reading about it hear on TT. Till a friend of mine let me cast his :shock: A week later I owned one :D :lol:
I don´t wanna say it´s the best reel in the world, because I love round reels 8-) , but I definetely wouldn´t hesitate to buy another.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:27 pm

It's anything but an SS SV on Steroids. It's a dang fine reel. The only thing it's missing is full magnesium construction and the bolt in style handle nut. It's very refined, silky smooth, feels incredibly solid, and casts much, much better than an SS SV. I love mine, though I did drop the stock spool and added a limited SV105 spool. The stock spool is fine, but not perfect, as is the case with all Daiwa reels that come with a 34 mm SV spool. There is always a better option unfortunately. Ask me how I know :whistle:

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks, appreciate the additional feedback and info on the reel. Sounds like it I may need to give it a bit more thought. It looks like a comfortable reel.

Any worries about it as a jig and trig reel in cover? I assume it’s not just for light finesse.

Thanks

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:01 pm

You can get a Steez SV TW A BNIB on the bay for same price TW is selling the steez SV. I sold a steez SV to fund another Steez SV TW A. I just flat out love those reels.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:14 pm

I picked up a Non SV this winter too, I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but it feels like a winner. Mine will see lots of finesse work on Silver Salmon this summer.

Kurt

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:24 pm

iabass8 wrote:You can get a Steez SV TW A BNIB on the bay for same price TW is selling the steez SV. I sold a steez SV to fund another Steez SV TW A. I just flat out love those reels.
You can also get a Steez SV103 on ebay for much cheaper than listed retail prices. But yeah, I'd much rather have the SV TW. Best reel I've ever used, hands down.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:36 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
iabass8 wrote:You can get a Steez SV TW A BNIB on the bay for same price TW is selling the steez SV. I sold a steez SV to fund another Steez SV TW A. I just flat out love those reels.
You can also get a Steez SV103 on ebay for much cheaper than listed retail prices. But yeah, I'd much rather have the SV TW. Best reel I've ever used, hands down.
What are u using the reel for? I ordered a Steez SV TWS and was planning to use it on my jig rod for 3/8-3/4 oz jigs.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
What are u using the reel for? I ordered a Steez SV TWS and was planning to use it on my jig rod for 3/8-3/4 oz jigs.
I use mine as what I consider power finesse. 3/16 oz plus small trailer. Finesse jigs, tubes, crossover finesse worms / stickbaits. I run either a G1 1012SV or Zpi Nrc001-m in it. Effortless, flowing casts. Love it

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:47 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I use a Steez SV TW on my flipping/pitching jig rod for the same weight jigs
I use a Steez SV TW A for swim jigs. Might be ordering yet another for squarebills.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:05 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:It's anything but an SS SV on Steroids. It's a dang fine reel. The only thing it's missing is full magnesium construction and the bolt in style handle nut. It's very refined, silky smooth, feels incredibly solid, and casts much, much better than an SS SV. I love mine, though I did drop the stock spool and added a limited SV105 spool. The stock spool is fine, but not perfect, as is the case with all Daiwa reels that come with a 34 mm SV spool. There is always a better option unfortunately. Ask me how I know :whistle:
Remember though, I am an SS/SV fan... From what I can tell the frame is spot on, I think the 8.1 Steez SV gets the brass gears stock though so it should be more refined. I obviously agree that it's better, not so hollow feeling, but not crazy leaps and bounds better once the SS/SV has a good spool. I still think an all aluminum version of the non TW Steez SV with all the new tech/top spool would be a front runner for sure.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 am

iabass8 wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I use a Steez SV TW on my flipping/pitching jig rod for the same weight jigs
I use a Steez SV TW A for swim jigs. Might be ordering yet another for squarebills.
Ok so I’m gonna admit my confusion. You keep referring to a Steez SV TW A, from what I’ve looked at and what I can find that model doesn’t exist. Are you buying a Steez A TW and installing an SV spool in it?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:00 am

I own the Steez SV103XS with BRASS 8.1 gears. With the exception of BRASS gears, an SV spool, lighter and better Zaion drag star, lighter and better handle (with added I-shape knobs), and a Zaion sideplate, it has the same parts as the old Steez. Yes, I like the feel of aloy sideplates also, but this is as smooth as any other Steez.
Most people that own many reels are gravitating to 6.3 ratio reels for moving baits and 8.1 for bottom contact. My 7.1 ratio reels are sitting in the bottom of my rod locker waiting for me to put in the other ratio gears that I have. Yes, the 7.1 ratio is versatile when you don't have multiple reels.
I won't buy any reel with aluminum alloy gears. They are not durable enough for the fish that I catch. My Steez has caught fish up to 9.71lbs. without a flinch.
The SV103 spool in the Steez SV is awesome. Yes, it needs the grease flushed from the bearings and a light bearing oil, but it is a great all around casting machine. I was drilling a 5/16 oz. finesse jig well over a hundred feet yesterday. My friends that only have the old model Steez have put SV spools in their reels after using my Steez. Don't let anybody tell you that they don't cast far enough.
The palmability of the old model Steez isn't as good as the OG Zillion or Alphas, but it palms a lot better the Tatula variants in my hands. Yes, this is very subjective, but most will agree.
I have Daiwa connections. I was able to get mine for cost, but I would pay full price if there were no deals. I would buy another over any new Zillion or Tatula.