Which Stella FI for all around?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Which Stella FI for all around?

Post by quantum angler nt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Which Stella size - the 2500 or 3000 for all-around bass fishing is best? This will be for finesse applications, as well as general bass fishing. I will likely pair it with a conquest "3" power.

Also, why would they make both a 2500 and 3000 that are so close in size?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Stella FI for all around?

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:03 pm

The US Stella FI 2500 is 8/77 line capacity. The US Stella FI C3000XG is 8/197. They really aren't very close in terms of line capacity in my opinion. I have fished the 3000 quite a bit and prefer it all the way around as a bass fishing reel.

If you want to pair it with a new Conquest 3 power spinning rod, there is only one, the 843. It will make a great pairing with the Stella FI in 3000 size. Should you be looking for the 3000 FI, let me know.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which Stella FI for all around?

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Honestly.
I wouldn't even go stella.

EEEEKKKKK I know.

But I have enjoyed my limited time fishing teh exsence 3000 m more than I have the stella FI 3000 xg.

I despise fast spinning reels for fw. As it's only good for buzzing drop shots back to the boat quickly.

On top of that. When comparing the stella to the exsence. The start up of the stella is sluggish.
I weighted the stella FI and Exsence rotors earlier today.

36.5 grams for the Exsence
49.6 for the stella FI

And the exsence weight includes a big metal plate below the rotor.

Even with a slightly shorter handle (exsence) it starts up quicker.
The stella is perfection...that is until you use an exsence....it's that noticeable.

And if you believe in micro module.....The exsence is more "micromoduley" than the stella...(i think it's snake oil but to each their own)

I wore out the gear sets on 2 fi's and they need replacement. The difference in gears between the FI and Exsence is just a surface treatment on the main gear. Which was a bit disappointing.
And my stellas wore through that surface hardcoat quicker than the black almite coated paladic gears of yesteryear.