Opinions on Core 50mg7

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Opinions on Core 50mg7

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 pm

I have a buddy with a couple core 50mg7s, and am thinking of making him an offer. Reels are 7/10 condition, no boxes. For people that own one, what do you think of this reel? I do already have 2 CH50E reels that are in mint condition and two of the old CH50mg's that are in good working order.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Opinions on Core 50mg7

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 pm

To me its selling point was the weight. Not much casting difference between 50E and core imo. What you get now with your 50E is pretty much what you will get from the core just lighter. Core stock bearings a little better but replaced my 50E and 50MG7 bearings for abec7's. Overall casting performance would put my 70's and CI4 above the Core. But the light weight is very nice on a very light rod.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:32 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:To me its selling point was the weight. Not much casting difference between 50E and core imo. What you get now with your 50E is pretty much what you will get from the core just lighter. Core stock bearings a little better but replaced my 50E and 50MG7 bearings for abec7's. Overall casting performance would put my 70's and CI4 above the Core. But the light weight is very nice on a very light rod.
This
<")))><{

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:To me its selling point was the weight. Not much casting difference between 50E and core imo. What you get now with your 50E is pretty much what you will get from the core just lighter. Core stock bearings a little better but replaced my 50E and 50MG7 bearings for abec7's. Overall casting performance would put my 70's and CI4 above the Core. But the light weight is very nice on a very light rod.
This
I agree to a point, from a performance perspective. I really like and prefer magnesium reels for freshwater over aluminum, especially for feel techniques. The Core 51mg / Aldebaran brother were the one Shimano reel I couldn't part ways with.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:08 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
This
I agree to a point, from a performance perspective. I really like and prefer magnesium reels for freshwater over aluminum, especially for feel techniques. The Core 51mg / Aldebaran brother were the one Shimano reel I couldn't part ways with.
Actually, I didnt think about that. This is a very good point about the magnesium construction. It transmits things better for bottom contact baits, and feeling with your hands. Toss in a BFS spool, and they do very well for smaller baits as well. People who throw small senkos, as well as that Ned rig thing yall play with too. I use my 09Aldebaran for light baits with a Avail honeycomb spool on a 6'7 rod. My main reason for the Aldebaran is that it balances on the smaller/lighter rod better for me.
<")))><{

FrankTheRabbit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankTheRabbit » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:09 pm

I’m fortunate to own a Core Mg7 and yes, it’s a light reel! What hasn’t been mentioned is the 7:1 ratio vs your Ch50E, which I think is only 6:1. Even though the Core doesn’t have Xship or SVS, it can still land fish. If you like it and enjoy fishing with it, I’d say go for it. I think the technology in the Core can still keep up with the newer reels. I’ve also fish with a Met 13, Cu50E, ChCi4, but the Core will always be my firstborn.

Also, what would be the downside to owning a Core aside from being “old”?

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 am

Nothing.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:44 am

The Core 50 is a special little reel. As far as the "it" factor, it does it for me. I never felt that the CU50 had "it", at least for me. Sold the CU50E's, still have the Cores.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 am

I have a Core51,put Avail magnet brake,shallow spool...and it's working nice with 1/64 jighead... :big grin: