Spinning reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spinning reels

Post by Obz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:07 pm

I've always just bought baseline shimano 2500 reels, I've never had any problems with them. I went to my local shop with the intention of buying a stradic fk 2500. I ended up coming home with a procyon. Do you prefer Daiwa or Shimano spinning reels? are there general pros and cons to each? Its going to be a while before I can get the procyon on the water and I want another one already.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning reels

Post by Pen3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

It is really all a preference since i own both brands. I own a Stella, Exist, Certate, Vanquish, and Twin Power. I can go with one or the other and it doesn't really matter for me, they are both great brands. Only thing weird is that Shimano has the "C" variants that are compact body with over sized spool, while Daiwa has the "R" series, which are over sized body with smaller spool and rotor. My Certate 2510R is one and it gives you extra torque.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Those are some fancy spinning reels! Do you have a favorite? I think I ended up with the Daiwa out of curiosity, the only difference I could really find in the store was that the anti-reverse on the stradic was a bit more on point and the bail wire on the Daiwa was thicker.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 am

I've only ever bought Shimano spinning reels and have had very little experience with Daiwa reels at all.

The Procyon you bought has the Air Bail on it which is essentially a hollow tube instead of the standard style bail piece you find on Shimano. That is why it looks a little thicker. It is supposed to be a great bail though.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 am

Most of my spinning reels are older but I do have several Stradics and one Ci4, not the plus. I started buying Daiwas as the Stradics would seize up when wet. The newer Shimano spinning reels may not but my Stradics are all the white ones except for the Ci4. I have a Certate, an older Feugo, red one, and a Ballistic. The Daiwas have never given me problems when wet.
I wade fish a lot and things get wet, so I have gone to mainly Daiwa spinning. I also do not like the lack of an reverse/anti-reverse on the newer Shimanos.
I recently purchased a BG and it seems to be built like a tank.

As an edit the old red Feugo did tighten up on me when dunked once. This does not happen just when wading but also when fishing in the rain. Others experience may be different but this is mine.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:21 am

I got a Vanquish 13, Exsence and Steez 17.

I like all of them, the Daiwa has the better drag for sure.

Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 108642 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:15 am

Hi Timinmo,
Has the BG reel been wet yet?
Thanks

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 am

108642, the BG has gotten rained on but not dunked in the river. In all honesty I like the Shimano reels and the only reason I ever changed was the seizing problem. I have been told by a Shimano rep that the reason they did away with the anti-reverse was to eliminate one place that water could get in. Whether this has eliminated the problem or not I don't know. I would still be using the Shimanos other than that one item.

I have handled several of the new "LT" reels from Daiwa lately and they are very nice but not a big fan of the large line capacity. Oh well, still searching for the perfect spinning reel. I do like the BG a lot but I have been using casting equipment more and more.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:16 am

The 2018 Exist looks sick! Not sure of cost in Japan; but it's magnesium again which I Iove. It amazed me it was plastic last few years for a flagship.

Rick

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:05 am

karirick wrote:The 2018 Exist looks sick! Not sure of cost in Japan; but it's magnesium again which I Iove. It amazed me it was plastic last few years for a flagship.

Rick
Around $600 +/- a few depending on size.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

timinmo wrote:108642, I have been told by a Shimano rep that the reason they did away with the anti-reverse was to eliminate one place that water could get in. Whether this has eliminated the problem or not I don't know. I would still be using the Shimanos other than that one item.
I have heard this to but Daiwa proves that this is not true I'm sure it was more of a cost cutting measure, I just opened up a new FK 4000 last night and the seam that joins the body halves is not sealed. I was also shocked at how small the Drive gear is that explains why the two FK 4000's I have starting getting rough in the first few days of use.

timinmo wrote:108642, I have handled several of the new "LT" reels from Daiwa lately and they are very nice but not a big fan of the large line capacity. Oh well, still searching for the perfect spinning reel. I do like the BG a lot but I have been using casting equipment more and more.
The current state of Shimano's spinning reels has me looking at picking up a couple of new Daiwa LT's, luckily I grabbed up a few extra FJ's and FA Ci4's so I'm good in the 2500-3000 sizes but sure could use a Ballistic 4000 LT :D to replace those FK's

Kurt