Shimano Bantam MGL???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Bantam MGL???

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:11 am

Still confused on the bearing count... Japantackle has the 9 count listed and all US sites have 8... Not that it matters ONCE AGAIN, but now the anticipation of the reel itself has me wondering nonstop...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:35 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:The levelwind gear is almost always plastic, at least on one side. This is so you can't pinch your finger in between the frame and the the levelwind and not be able to force it back. It is a safey feature that most manufacturers have incorporated since the late 80's-early 90's. I did that once with an old Abu 4600CB back in the 80's. Both gears were brass o. that one, so I tore the skin below my left index fingernail a little in order to get it out. I was deep cranking with the rod straight down, all the way in the water and my finger was wrapped around the front edge of the reel, right at the levelwind. That hurt!
Shimano has combat that issue with the idler gear release designed into the main drive /handle shaft on some of their reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Slazmo wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:The levelwind gear is almost always plastic, at least on one side. This is so you can't pinch your finger in between the frame and the the levelwind and not be able to force it back. It is a safey feature that most manufacturers have incorporated since the late 80's-early 90's. I did that once with an old Abu 4600CB back in the 80's. Both gears were brass o. that one, so I tore the skin below my left index fingernail a little in order to get it out. I was deep cranking with the rod straight down, all the way in the water and my finger was wrapped around the front edge of the reel, right at the levelwind. That hurt!
Shimano has combat that issue with the idler gear release designed into the main drive /handle shaft on some of their reels.
I knew they did that on some of their SW conventional reels, but I'm not aware of any bass casting reels that have that built in, at least not any USDM models.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:25 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Slazmo wrote:
I knew they did that on some of their SW conventional reels, but I'm not aware of any bass casting reels that have that built in, at least not any USDM models.
Conquests, Calcutta DC's and some of the low profile casting reels.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:21 pm

Slazmo wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Slazmo wrote:
Conquests, Calcutta DC's and some of the low profile casting reels.
Shows how much I know about Shimano reels. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Part numbers 4631, 5327 & 5654 on the new Curado K is that feature - sure the I also had it too.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 am

Slazmo wrote:Part numbers 4631, 5327 & 5654 on the new Curado K is that feature - sure the I also had it too.
The first time I serviced a Shimano with that, it surprised me. I was like "a clicker assembly in the main idler gear?". Lol. Then I realized what it was. Good thing I didn't loose the little pins and springs.
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:18 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Slazmo wrote:Part numbers 4631, 5327 & 5654 on the new Curado K is that feature - sure the I also had it too.
The first time I serviced a Shimano with that, it surprised me. I was like "a clicker assembly in the main idler gear?". Lol. Then I realized what it was. Good thing I didn't loose the little pins and springs.
Loose one or the other and the reel won't chooch... i end up hearing a few sob stories with them jettisoning into low earth orbit - with unsuspecting people pulling apart reels and not knowing about the perfect parts 'mouse' trap in their reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 am

Will the supposed shallow spool coming for the Bantam MGL be available in the US or will it have to be ordered from Japan???

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Will the supposed shallow spool coming for the Bantam MGL be available in the US or will it have to be ordered from Japan???
My guess would be Japan only, like the yumeya shallow spool for the metanium 13.