Shimano Bantam MGL???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shimano Bantam MGL???

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Is this supposed to be their version of the Z2020? Why have this and the K if its not? Why not just put the MGL in the Curado? Answeres! I need answers! Feed my inner nerd! :lol:
<")))><{

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Bantam MGL???

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:47 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Is this supposed to be their version of the Z2020? Why have this and the K if its not? Why not just put the MGL in the Curado? Answeres! I need answers! Feed my inner nerd! :lol:

To me it looks like a new design "philosophy"

Think Daiwa's monocoque....only in a baitcaster.

Although....in a star drag......for bass fishing......the non handle sideplate doesn't really take on much of a load.
It's not as insignificant as the non line roller side of the rotor on a spinning reel.

But it will definitely keep that spool shaft in perfect allignment, and possibly dampen it at higher rpms.

I"M IN

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm in as well! This is the reel that people have been wanting since the Chronarch 100d reels. People have been asking for an aluminum Chronarch instead of the ci4 ones. Can't wait to get one!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Yes, it looks good, but what about the quality. The days of the ole Shimano seem to be far behind, and I would love to see them turn it back around. I am not seeing them to be any better than the OEMs out of Korea at their current lineup. Yes, hate me all you want, and most fanboys will disagree. I have been a loooooooooong time Shimano fan, but....they aint what they used to be, and damn sure havent since 2009. Lets go, get off the plastic BS and get back to what made you want people to buy your products! Looking good on paper is one thing..... I personally would rather buy a B series than what they have come at us with since the E series.
<")))><{

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:54 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Yes, it looks good, but what about the quality. The days of the ole Shimano seem to be far behind, and I would love to see them turn it back around. I am not seeing them to be any better than the OEMs out of Korea at their current lineup. Yes, hate me all you want, and most fanboys will disagree. I have been a loooooooooong time Shimano fan, but....they aint what they used to be, and damn sure havent since 2009. Lets go, get off the plastic BS and get back to what made you want people to buy your products! Looking good on paper is one thing..... I personally would rather buy a B series than what they have come at us with since the E series.
If it has a metal worm gear, metal line guide pawl, and brass gearing, you'll be on board? \:D/

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:00 pm

chreim20 wrote:I'm in as well! This is the reel that people have been wanting since the Chronarch 100d reels. People have been asking for an aluminum Chronarch instead of the ci4 ones. Can't wait to get one!

I'll try one for sure; although I'm not needing another reel as I'm downsizing my collection. I love all metal reels; so have to try this.

Thankfully I have a BNIB Chronarch 101D7 at the ready....

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 am

chreim20 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Yes, it looks good, but what about the quality. The days of the ole Shimano seem to be far behind, and I would love to see them turn it back around. I am not seeing them to be any better than the OEMs out of Korea at their current lineup. Yes, hate me all you want, and most fanboys will disagree. I have been a loooooooooong time Shimano fan, but....they aint what they used to be, and damn sure havent since 2009. Lets go, get off the plastic BS and get back to what made you want people to buy your products! Looking good on paper is one thing..... I personally would rather buy a B series than what they have come at us with since the E series.
If it has a metal worm gear, metal line guide pawl, and brass gearing, you'll be on board? \:D/
You know it baby! :lol:
<")))><{

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31 am

Oh man... definitely going to have to get my hands on one...

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvwbKvKqRzk

Not that any of us can understand it.
But body looks painted, circular side plate looks like the same finish as a Calcutta D?

Markanthony404
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Markanthony404 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:28 am

Sweet looking reel, I really like the new thumb bar. I can tell from the video it has a metal worm gear =D>

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:52 pm

So wait... This ISN'T coming to the US market??? I was understanding this was coming here, to fill the void between the Chronarch MGL and Metanium MGL...

I don't mind to import a reel, just would rather have a US warranty on account of Shimano ALWAYS treats you right. Really hope they bring this one here.

As far as the new reels go, I disagree about the Korean manufactured reels being equal. I sold all of my Lew's and Abu reels, have only fished with friend's 13 reels and other brands. I don't think anyone is at Daiwa/Shimano level. I don't think others are pure garbage, but I don't plan on spending money on others unless something groundbreaking appears. The new Revo's are trying the "more metal" concept too and they honestly feel pretty solid... I just couldn't bring myself to buy a Revo STX over a Curado K if I needed a general purpose baitcaster, same goes for a Lew's in that price range.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:04 pm

It's on Shimano USA's web site so we will get it the question is when will it arrive on the shelves?

Kurt

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:50 pm

They look great to me!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Maybe in for a Bass Master Classic release?

Also, I just realized it is short a bearing from the Chronarch MGL. Please tell me its a mistake or they just don't have handle bearings or something. I really like the thought of a dual supported pinion, dual supported spool, and dual supported main shaft with a roller bearing. The Curado K and Chronarch MGL/Metanium MGL all have bearings at these key points.

Where would the Bantam MGL lose one?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:26 am

What an ugly speciment. Reminds me of a fat walrus