2017 Daiwa Ballistic 1000D - Drag

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
westcoastangler
Angler
Angler

2017 Daiwa Ballistic 1000D - Drag

Post by westcoastangler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey guys,

Just got this reel from Tacklewarehouse and it's a sweet little reel but noticed, without fishing just playing around with it, that drag is sticky.

When loosening the drag knob, the spool doesn't immediately become "easier" to turn, you have to manually turn it back and forth for the loosened drag knob to take effect.
Basically the drag will be remain tight even though the knob has been loosened until you help the spool along back and forth a few times, then the drag becomes proportionally looser and the spool is easier to turn by hand.

Is this normal?
Also recently bought a Luvias 2500 from Tacklewarehouse and it didn't have this issue, as soon as you loosened the drag knob, spool was instantly easier to turn.

Thanks

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2017 Daiwa Ballistic 1000D - Drag

Post by ogrich31 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:46 pm

My tatula LT 1000 reacts the same way. Haven't taken out the drag washers on it yet, but I feel ok using it as is. I believe it'll get better over time, but we'll see.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2017 Daiwa Ballistic 1000D - Drag

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Could it be the ATD feature?
Can't remember exactly what the drag grease does, but it either has a small start up to overcome, or the drag is related to the speed line is being pulled off.