Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:34 pm

This reel will accept daiwa steez spools as well correct?????

any liking this reel? Seems like a frankenreel project?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
H.Thoreau

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 pm

And if it does accept a steez spool then that means I can put the steez ltd 8.0:1 gears in it as well correct?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
H.Thoreau

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 am

It's basically a Steez.
<")))><{

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby iabass8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 am

It accepts 34 mm spools. I have an R+ in mine. Theres an 8:1 gear upgrade for the sssv103 at the tackletrap

LowRange
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby LowRange » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:20 pm

They're a good reel to mod and the low resale makes picking one up easy. The drag is super weak and the stock spool is over braked but that's all fixable.

DirtyD64
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:15 am

Awesome reel in my opinion. Originally used it for just an extra, it is super heavily braked, but not as bad as some make it seem. If my Zillon SV TW would cast maximum 50 yards with a 3/8 weight, the SS/SV would cast like 35ish. That is a good bit but for my fishing I didn't notice it as much.

I added a 100mm Tatula HD handle and it looks perfectly stock on there, I started using mine on a 7' Medium cranking rod (jerkbaits, medium cranks, traps, squarebills, etc.) and then the heavy braking started to bother me. I ordered a Zillion SV TW G1 1016 spool and now its a beast. It still has a slightly stronger brake profile than the Zillion SV TW, but now it is 95% the distance caster the Zillion is.

The aluminum gears were an initail concern for me, but i have fished this reel hard for a year now and had no issues. I used it for jigs on a 7'3" MH for a while and it worked fine there too. It has 2 bearings on the spool, 2 on the pinion, 2 on the main gear, an anti-reverse bearing, and 1 on the levelwind I think for 8 total. I added 2 more to the Tatula HD handle so now it has 12 like a Steez.

The drag is a concern I am looking into though, its smooth, but dang is the top end low. Works great for my current cranking/treble hook applications, but if I was setting hooks hard or using heavier wire I would have to get some Carbontex washers. I am one of the few huge SS/SV fans on here though, I think a Daiwa dream reel would be it with the Zillion SV spool, brass gears, aluminum frame and gear sideplate, etc. Great reel from my experiences so far.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby jmd_143 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am

I have one and use it for lighter trigs. 3/16-1/4 oz with smallie beavers to sparse cover and it has done me just fine for the price I paid. The fact that you can get these for a reasonable price of 150 stock I think they are worth that price tag

Return to “Reels”