Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:34 pm

This reel will accept daiwa steez spools as well correct?????

any liking this reel? Seems like a frankenreel project?
Catch fish not feelings!!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 pm

And if it does accept a steez spool then that means I can put the steez ltd 8.0:1 gears in it as well correct?
Catch fish not feelings!!

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2038
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 am

It's basically a Steez.
<")))><{

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby iabass8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 am

It accepts 34 mm spools. I have an R+ in mine. Theres an 8:1 gear upgrade for the sssv103 at the tackletrap

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby LowRange » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:20 pm

They're a good reel to mod and the low resale makes picking one up easy. The drag is super weak and the stock spool is over braked but that's all fixable.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1588
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:15 am

Awesome reel in my opinion. Originally used it for just an extra, it is super heavily braked, but not as bad as some make it seem. If my Zillon SV TW would cast maximum 50 yards with a 3/8 weight, the SS/SV would cast like 35ish. That is a good bit but for my fishing I didn't notice it as much.

I added a 100mm Tatula HD handle and it looks perfectly stock on there, I started using mine on a 7' Medium cranking rod (jerkbaits, medium cranks, traps, squarebills, etc.) and then the heavy braking started to bother me. I ordered a Zillion SV TW G1 1016 spool and now its a beast. It still has a slightly stronger brake profile than the Zillion SV TW, but now it is 95% the distance caster the Zillion is.

The aluminum gears were an initail concern for me, but i have fished this reel hard for a year now and had no issues. I used it for jigs on a 7'3" MH for a while and it worked fine there too. It has 2 bearings on the spool, 2 on the pinion, 2 on the main gear, an anti-reverse bearing, and 1 on the levelwind I think for 8 total. I added 2 more to the Tatula HD handle so now it has 12 like a Steez.

The drag is a concern I am looking into though, its smooth, but dang is the top end low. Works great for my current cranking/treble hook applications, but if I was setting hooks hard or using heavier wire I would have to get some Carbontex washers. I am one of the few huge SS/SV fans on here though, I think a Daiwa dream reel would be it with the Zillion SV spool, brass gears, aluminum frame and gear sideplate, etc. Great reel from my experiences so far.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:33 am

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby jmd_143 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:56 am

I have one and use it for lighter trigs. 3/16-1/4 oz with smallie beavers to sparse cover and it has done me just fine for the price I paid. The fact that you can get these for a reasonable price of 150 stock I think they are worth that price tag

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:29 am

I get the con's but if i were to drop in a MB honey comb spool and better bearings and drag and cf handle what would it be like than? I forgot to mention some tuning ?
I am looking at ti because its relatively inexpensive but at the same time I dont have money to just throw away. I was looking for a project reel that has a purpose so please tell me your thoughts.. Should I change the gears out? Could I put the steez 100sha gears in it? this project is already more than the reel itself but its something to tinker with ..

It may be better to just source a steez reel.
Catch fish not feelings!!

User avatar
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:41 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby Tokugawa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:59 am

goldrod wrote:I get the con's but if i were to drop in a MB honey comb spool and better bearings and drag and cf handle what would it be like than? I forgot to mention some tuning ?
I am looking at ti because its relatively inexpensive but at the same time I dont have money to just throw away. I was looking for a project reel that has a purpose so please tell me your thoughts.. Should I change the gears out? Could I put the steez 100sha gears in it? this project is already more than the reel itself but its something to tinker with ..

It may be better to just source a steez reel.


Do you want an aluminum or magnesium frame? Your decision.

I think it would be a nice finesse reel. You can just buy the finesse version and be done with it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
goldrod wrote:I get the con's but if i were to drop in a MB honey comb spool and better bearings and drag and cf handle what would it be like than? I forgot to mention some tuning ?
I am looking at ti because its relatively inexpensive but at the same time I dont have money to just throw away. I was looking for a project reel that has a purpose so please tell me your thoughts.. Should I change the gears out? Could I put the steez 100sha gears in it? this project is already more than the reel itself but its something to tinker with ..

It may be better to just source a steez reel.


Do you want an aluminum or magnesium frame? Your decision.

I think it would be a nice finesse reel. You can just buy the finesse version and be done with it.


To be perfectly honest, I kinda ran into a problem. I had this Daiwa Steez EX I got laying around and finally spooled it with 14lb floro and put it on my OG IMX 843 rod and LOVED it.. So that left me with the Steez LTD with the MB spool in it but when the 1010 spool comes I was going to use it in that.. so i need a home for my MB honeycomb spool and to put on this Ehrler Tatula elite rod.
So i was looking at this reel but to answer your question either will work as long as it can take the MB honeycomb spool .
Catch fish not feelings!!

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby LowRange » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Go for it. SS SVs are fun to mod and have a ton of parts that will fit and can be picked up 2nd hand in great shape for a good price.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:18 pm

The good news is the price dropped by 50 bucks
bad news is only in the 5.3:1 gear ratio.. and I bought it..
I have a HlC handle for it, a ziaon drag star and that mb honeycomb spool i was talking about.

I spoke with Brian from the tackle trap about the 8.1 conversion kit that includes a drag upgrade.
149 for the reel
69 for the gears
about 300 with that spool and miscellaneous parts..

I hope it works..
I have the ziaon knobs too.. forgot to mention,, and its going on the tatula elite rod..


(I dropped this 1010 spool in the limited but waiting for a better bearing from the TT)
If I got another rod for this reel i would have excited my budget for 2018 already.. This stuff never ends..
Catch fish not feelings!!

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1787
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby LowRange » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:29 pm

The black accents on the 5:1 look better IMO. A blacked out face plate on the reel looks good too and works with other black accents. Daiwa had an SLP dress up kit for the reel at one point in time and included some of these parts in various stages. I think a stage 1 is just the gloss black face plate.

Image

Image

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm

LowRange wrote:The black accents on the 5:1 look better IMO. A blacked out face plate on the reel looks good too and works with other black accents. Daiwa had an SLP dress up kit for the reel at one point in time and included some of these parts in various stages. I think a stage 1 is just the gloss black face plate.

Image

Image



Where did you find that CCC?
I like that drag star as well but I can’t find either. I got the reel in today and began inspecting
Catch fish not feelings!!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2739
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Daiwa SS SV 103 jdm

Postby goldrod » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Anyone with this reel whose customized it please post pictures.
Catch fish not feelings!!


Return to “Enthusiast & Import Tackle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests