Chronarch D7

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch D7

Post by lifeofRiley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:50 am

I have a buddy that is selling 3 of these and just wondering what they are worth? Knowing him they have a lot of boat rash. I would stick new gears, drag washers, and handle knobs on them if I buy them. Sorry, don't have any pics at this time.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Chronarch D7

Post by jmd_143 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 am

Pending condition they could go from $150-300 each. If they have some rash to moderate cosmetic damage I would say around $175-200 each. Solid reels, and a great find if you are not looking for shelf queens.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm with jmd_143. If they're good mechanically and have a little bit of rash, then $175-200 per reel easy. I have 6 of them myself and it's the only reel that gets used on tournament day.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:00 pm

They will hold their value as long as gear sets and other parts are available. The Tackle Trap keeps up with that kind of thing, just give a call for parts, tuning, service, etc... Great platform indeed. If they have a lot of use, a lot of rash, and need gear sets, a cleaning, and perhaps a few other commonly replaced parts, $150 would be a good buy as long as you can get all the parts you ned to make them run.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 am

Maybe you can fish a few of his reels before buying or take a practice plug and test them out. At least you can see how they cast, how they retrieve, if anything feels rough or noisy. Then you take that into account along with the exterior condition and determine a value.

I bought one that had an extra set of D5 gears, a longer Met 13 handle, and upgraded drag plus original hanld for $225. It was a good 8 in condition inside and out.

If you are ok with the exterior dings and finish but sense the internals are good take a shot on it.

I personally wouldn't want a reel lower than a 7 or 8 cosmetically unless it came at a very attractive price.

If the insides are not up to par you will have to source new parts, plus you have shipping and labor. At that point you may have been better off holding out for one in better shape.

From the sounds of what you have described $125 to $175 would probably be about right but it could me more of the internals were sound and the exterior was better than you thouhgt.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 pm

I talked to my buddy tonight and we agreed $300 for the 3 reels. I told him they'd all need new main/pinion gears, worm gear/pawl, drag washers, 6 new knobs, and in the case of one, a new handle at some point, because the factory handle has corrosion. New drag washers too. The reels were used hard and put away wet for a long time. That being said, I love fixing up reels, and am looking forward to adding 3 Chronarch D7's to my overcrowded arsenal. I'm an old school shimano fan, and have a bunch of bantam curados and chronarchs, everything else is curado/chronarch E series. I prefer the VBS braking system. I also cleaned 7 reels for him and that was part of the bargain.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm

nice! you're going to enjoy them; i know i do!