Concept Z initial impressions. Did I expect too much?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Concept Z initial impressions. Did I expect too much?

Post by karirick » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:19 pm

You can cast 2 football fields? Good for you Sir; I don't think I can come close to that with any of my reels.

Is this with just a weight or during your normal fishing outings? Thanks.

Rick

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:07 pm

karirick wrote:You can cast 2 football fields? Good for you Sir; I don't think I can come close to that with any of my reels.

Rick
That's using rods over 12' in length.

It really doesn't take much effort to cast 175 yards. The effort comes in developing the technique.
The guys down in Hatteras are launchers....

I had a video I posted throwing prototype shimano tiralejo surf rods as we were dialing in the guide layouts checking how the line interacted with the guides. And I flat footed a lob 140 yards with no effort (wasn't even a full cast)
I mention that only because I don't have much footage of any distance castng. And that was recent (though i took it down to avoid getting anyone in trouble)

With bait I can get a chunk out 150 if needed. With the big low pros with levelwinds less

I spoke to a distance caster friend of mine after posting my casting results here. I wanted to know how far he throws 17-18 grams.
(first time I think the conversation lasted less than 2 hours..lmao)
The US distance casting record is 116 meteres.
He's surpasing that with a 13' and abu 2500 nastalgia with tons of mods (avail spool actually)
(some of his reels the ones i used to use were very similar different colors and handle)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdu_2ZfDnsA ... leadvisors
Here's a pic of me throwing the 18 grams on the steez ags 8' rod (pic was taken during todays casting session when i slowed the footage down ((litrally snapped a photo of my laptop screen while editing the video)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdyiFmqjt4Y ... leadvisors

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 pm

99% of folks here don't use surfing rods and plain casting weights. This is a predominately bass fishing forum, about bass tackle and baits in general. Would be nice ScoobyDoo, if you could test that reel with a popular lure most of us own (Vision 110, any of Pointers, etc), and we would have a clue how our reels stand close or not to that hot selling reel at the moment.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
karirick wrote:You can cast 2 football fields? Good for you Sir; I don't think I can come close to that with any of my reels.

Rick

It really doesn't take much effort to cast 175 yards. The effort comes in developing the technique.

I had a video I posted throwing prototype shimano tiralejo surf rods as we were dialing in the guide layouts checking how the line interacted with the guides. And I flat footed a lob 140 yards with no effort (wasn't even a full cast)
I mention that only because I don't have much footage of any distance castng. And that was recent (though i took it down to avoid getting anyone in trouble)

With bait I can get a chunk out 150 if needed. With the big low pros with levelwinds less

I spoke to a distance caster friend of mine after posting my casting results here. I wanted to know how far he throws 17-18 grams.
He's surpasing that with a 13' and abu 2500 nastalgia with tons of mods (avail spool actually)
(some of his reels the ones i used to use were very similar different colors and handle)
Here's a pic of me throwing the 18 grams on the steez ags 8' rod (pic was taken during todays casting session when i slowed the footage down ((litrally snapped a photo of my laptop screen while editing the video)
Explain me this then: https://youtu.be/HA5zmQ9_-J0?t=6m49s

Seems it cast much further than Lew's or Concept A.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Rick

He is sponsored by 13... Also he is comparing it to lower budget reels.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Rick

I don't know. I wasn't there, And never fished his reels so I don't know the condition they're in or how they're set up.
The Z isn't a poor caster either.
A shishamo will out cast an antares...all it takes is a drop of oil, or a turn of a dial.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm

They had trouble competing with Daiwa and Shimano. Without a gimmick and a lot of paid youtubers, its very hard to get noticed when the other two delivering quality

Megabass, Daiwa, Shimano 4life. Rest can go away. :!:

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 am

Well. I'll compare and test it myself then. Just have Steez and Z2020 to compare :lol:

Haven't tried Concept A, but C and E casts fairly nice. Still not even close to Steez 103H, Shimano Antares DC or Metanium MGL.

I'll get Concept Z in a 2-3weeks here in Finland. Then ill make own tests with "normal" rod and 15lb braid.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:35 am

SSS wrote:They had trouble competing with Daiwa and Shimano. Without a gimmick and a lot of paid youtubers, its very hard to get noticed when the other two delivering quality

They all have gimmicks daiwas T wing and sv, shimanos micro module and mgl and megabass doesnt even make their own reels.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:15 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
SSS wrote:They had trouble competing with Daiwa and Shimano. Without a gimmick and a lot of paid youtubers, its very hard to get noticed when the other two delivering quality

They all have gimmicks daiwas T wing and sv, shimanos micro module and mgl and megabass doesnt even make their own reels.
T wing isn't a gimmick.
Whether it gains me distance or not I can't tell...never took it off and put on a standard levelwind. But it eliminates that bouncing off the rev limiter sound and sensation that happens on all non dsg levelwind reels as the line comes off the spool off center from the line guide. And i like the way stiffer lines come off the spool. If you've ever cast an open frame or non levelwind reel.(not sure if you have) but it offers that kind of smoothness. If daiwa put it in their lexa 400 which already has the furthest spaced levelwind from the spool ....It would have some serious long range bomber potential...Minus the greased spool bearings

Micro module is a gimmick in my opninion. I have owned plenty and it's no different in feel than gears in this concept or other reels. I don't feel the gears in the concept z any more than I do in an antares or steez. Look at van staal gears....they'd be called micro module 3x.....but it's still a coffee grinder :) (different gear cut but same idea of tiny teeth)

Now....the biggest gimmick i've seen...though it wasn't pushed at all...just given a name to something silly.......Daiwa's Zero Adjuster...now that is funny

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 am

Did someone say gimmick?

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:00 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:With 18 grams 250' (video up tomorrow)
with 2 ounces 375' (9'6 black hole 8lb braid 50lb shocker)....(only brought a 100 yard tape with me.)
Were you able to cast a few different lures like someone else suggested earlier in the thread?

Watched that video...the audio is crystal clear :)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 pm

reason162 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:With 18 grams 250' (video up tomorrow)
with 2 ounces 375' (9'6 black hole 8lb braid 50lb shocker)....(only brought a 100 yard tape with me.)
Were you able to cast a few different lures like someone else suggested earlier in the thread?

Watched that video...the audio is crystal clear :)
Yeah. I thought I posted the results here. But I guess my browser hung up or something.
This was the gist of what I typed..it was kinda long winded.

Basically Comparing it to a reel that consisted of 3 different reels. Kast king, Shishamo, and Favorite white bird.
The 18 gram lead went 258 (but it took a few casts to head up the oil and bearings) tried to push it and broke off which was the end of that. Had I just focused on technique I bet I could have hit 280.
Now that reel I had to use a setting of 8 out of 10 and it was still squirrely. 10 out of 10 wasn't tame.
Where as with the 1 setting was tame
The lack of warm up time is a nice plus for the Nzb busings. Start to finish very consistent. Only time you get that consistency is in dry lubed or dry bearings.

Switching to a megabass. I backlashed a dozen and a half times on the franken reel no matter the setting.
The max brake on that reel is like setting a daiwa mag z set to 1 or 2
Then put on some 30lb braid instead of the 8 and blew that up too. And gave up.
I"m not a big 110 fan I like baits that have more of a built in kick vs roll. And they dive a little deep so i shave the lips down. When I cast them using this setup I overcast them and the weak braking this reel doesn't quell the spiraling. 115' was the best i could get and i had to thumb slap my spool to get it straight.
The Z was getting out to 130 (have to check the tape ) with the brake setting at 3 and 4
MB 110's are like SP minnows where if you over cast them they don't fly like a dart they cork screw. Which a little extra braking seems to tame.

Throwing a 3/8 revenge jig on the franken reel was the same....backlash until your hearts content. 100' or so and thazzit due to heavy thumbing.

The Z hit 150 (again gotta check the tape) EDIT 125 not 150

Comparing it to the steez.
The concept went tit for tat with lures. Which is why I don't think casting comparisons are really important pertaining to baitcasters and lures. Just interesting to see how they behave.
I wish i brought a shadow rap shad since they throw much further and more consistently. And distances of 180 if i remember correctly are easy. As they lay on their side and just go...occasionally hitting what looks like an up draft and keep going.

So the Z is a good to very good and very consistent caster. And it's brake range is fairly wide and accomodating. And like i've said in the past. 90% of baitcasters will cast within 10% of others. It's all about how low you can go in braking, how much oil you use (oil is more likely to slow a reel than speed one up due to hydraulic braking...ask any distance caster), the lure and technique.

But it's very noisy. Brake buzz and spool chatter. When throwing low rpm lures like jigs. I get the sensation like the spool shaft is bouncing around on the inner race of the bushings/ bearings.

The retrieve on the 40$ 40$ 80$ mish mosh of reels frankenreel was noticeably less rickety. WHich was sad because it's a joke. I mean..who puts 12 ball bearings in the handle knobs. It's casting near silent.
I also noticed the line lay was better on the frankenreel. NO valleys at the spool edges at all.
The steez....well...love daiwa or hate em. It's a rock solid reel. Silent on the retrieve no slop. And casts are near silent with the exception of a slight "tink" when the rotor goes back into place at spool stop. Line lay had slight valleys on the side.

If I didn't break off that weight I would have thrown the steez. But I'd guess i'd get it down to 2 and hit 260. But down that low with an over packed spool it gets finnacky.
Set the brakes to anything above 5 and it's a kitten.

If they can tighten it up...i'd bet it'd be spectacular. Gonna either return it or at the very least exchange it.
Last edited by ScoobyDoo on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:10 pm

I think I will pass on purchasing the bushing/bearings at this point LOL...

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 pm

Yup , I’ll pass on the Z . Thanks for the info and testing it out .... makes it easier to not be tempted anymore . I use to have a concept KP and it’s was the most finicky reel to cast and it wasn’t smooth at all. I was very disappointed but in all you can’t compare apples and oranges. Daiwa and Shimano have the market onnlock with their technology and precision for detail.