Concept Z initial impressions. Did I expect too much?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Concept Z initial impressions. Did I expect too much?

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 pm

I'll tell ya what.....Whatever it is that everyone seems to be talking about...in regards to the feel of this reel...
I ain't feelin it!
So many other reels in the sub 200$ range....offer much more refinement.
40$ shishamo and Kastking reels offer less slop in the handle. (not talking in and out slop or handle knobs)
But the tolerance between the base of the handle shaft and czb bearing is so great that there is quite a bit of lean in the handle
on the retrieve. And it's very noticeable. As you complete the rotation.
I thought at first it was just my reel. Then i checked out all the tolerances of the CZB's both inside and on the spool..and they all seem to allow for a bit of play. The gaps are visible.

And BONUS NACHOS!!! the shimming on
the knobs aren't very good either...one knob is meh..the other is bad. (again...200$ reel..i expect more....Shimming in the New daiwa LT knobs is just as bad or worse...)

I can't stand when people tell me a reel is the greatest thing ever...2 seconds after taking it out of the box...we all know it takes time for a new series of reels to prove themselves....(you can assume things...but it takes on the water time to prove them)...But when it feels rickety out of the box....I'm comfortable with my point of view.
I'll be shipping it back to TackleWarehouse.............

Very disappointed. I really had high hopes......Yeah it's a nice compact profile...yeah it's quiet when retrieved. Yeah it's pretty light. It'd be great for a 100$ reel. I expect way more for 200$

ConceptZisnot4me sorry couldn't resist.

If they can tighten up the tolerances..(not sure if they are necessary or not) I'll definitely give another one a try.
Now I have to worry about being denied a return from TW if i spool it up to see how it throws.

Adding this as a little bit of crow eating

I have to rescend a few of my overly negative initial assessments. Often if negatives show up..it's downhill from there.

But after spooling under 4lbs of tension. Which is quite a bit for a basscaster. She seemed to change her tune a bit.

I noticed the handle rock a bit. But Under tension it wasn't as abrupt or cringeworthy...

And i'll tell ya what...Casting short range seemed very nice. parking lot pitching....But under very light loads..that handle lean and in and out was very obvious...even under slow retrieves.
It really is quieter than other reels. It's extremely smooth under retrieve (every new reels is it seems now adays)

Gonna take back quite a bit of what my initial impressions were....and sort of start from scratch. been spending so much $$ and getting so many junk reels or defects....thought this was yet another turd
Last edited by ScoobyDoo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Concept Z initial impressions. Did I expect too much?

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Bummer, I really wanted to hear how it casts from someone not affiliated with 13 fishing.

But with that spool that holds 3 million yards I can't expect it to outcast any of my Shimano reels.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

I was going to pull the trigger and now after reading this, my curiosity is now gone. I was gonna buy one just for the hell of it but I’d rather buy a Tatula Sv or Curado K for under $200 and know that I’m getting a solid reel.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:I was going to pull the trigger and now after reading this, my curiosity is now gone. I was gonna buy one just for the hell of it but I’d rather buy a Tatula Sv or Curado K for under $200 and know that I’m getting a solid reel.
I have to rescend a few of my overly negative initial assessments. Often if negatives show up..it's downhill from there.

But after spooling under 4lbs of tension. Which is quite a bit for a basscaster. She seemed to change her tune a bit.

I noticed the handle rock a bit. But Under tension it wasn't as abrupt or cringeworther....

And i'll tell ya what...Casting short range seemed very nice. parking lot pitching....But under very light loads..that handle lean and in and out was very obvious...even under slow retrieves.
It really is quieter than other reels. It's extremely smooth under retrieve (every new reels is it seems now adays)

Gonna take back quite a bit of what my initial impressions were....and sort of start from scratch.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:30 pm

Please post some more info if you decide to keep it .

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:43 am

ROFL :laugh1:

They'll be in damage control now.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:11 am

I haven't heard about a handle lean problem. Maybe you bought a lemon........... It does happen, "But the tolerance between the base of the handle shaft and czb bearing is so great that there is quite a bit of lean in the handle
on the retrieve. " Provide some pictures of the issue!!! :crying: . The gaps are visible.

13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:10 am

Dear Scooby,

Give it a little time...a few casts in the parking lot won't show you what this reel can do. I appreciate all the feedback, but i don't think its fair to judge a reel so quickly. Your post was pretty harsh considering a little play in your handle knob. Thats something that could easily be adjusted, and I'd be happy to personally take care of it.

Do to the unbelievable sales of this platform, and the naysayers, 13 haters, and anglers who are committed to other brands we expect plenty of harsh criticism. Its different than mainstream, give it some time.

I'm not sure a $200 low profile has ever been under such a microscope. Either way, its pretty polarizing technology that deserves a few weeks on the water to discover its secrets.

Matt
13 Fishing

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am

13Fishing wrote:Dear Scooby,

Give it a little time...a few casts in the parking lot won't show you what this reel can do. I appreciate all the feedback, but i don't think its fair to judge a reel so quickly. Your post was pretty harsh considering a little play in your handle knob. Thats something that could easily be adjusted, and I'd be happy to personally take care of it.

Do to the unbelievable sales of this platform, and the naysayers, 13 haters, and anglers who are committed to other brands we expect plenty of harsh criticism. Its different than mainstream, give it some time.

I'm not sure a $200 low profile has ever been under such a microscope. Either way, its pretty polarizing technology that deserves a few weeks on the water to discover its secrets.

Matt
13 Fishing
I just had to point out that this was the best response that could have been given by someone on the 13 staff. I used to get SH!T from Vince Borges because I went to look at the new Phenix X-10 rods at Bait Barn and was sooooooooooo disappointed in the abysmal quality of the workmanship and cork. He even got others on his bandwagon to accuse me of bashing his brand for being on someone else's staff...well, I'm no pro staffer.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what the long haul is for this reel because the hype is there. But I stopped being an early adopter when Shimano got rid of the E series Curados.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 am

This is why our reviews take the time they do to show up on the main site. We take the time to fish the product before making any judgements.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Cal wrote:This is why our reviews take the time they do to show up on the main site. We take the time to fish the product before making any judgements.

I do the same. Good can turn bad after a bit of stress.

But this reel is not very refined....that won't change with time.
It is also a fairly noisy caster.
And the slop in the handle is worse than any reel i own.
That's all due to the poor tolerances in relation to the bushings.
The handle shaft bushing is gapped enough that you can see past it. Which shows up as rocking in the handle.
And these are just initial impressions....Not even remotely considered a review

It's not an awful reel. Just not as refined as what's out there in the 200$ price range.
Not even close under Any retrieve and under any load..

I let it rip for a bit casting it for distance. With a variety of weight ranges. Not putting in much effort I was able to easily get close to 375' feet. 252' with 5/8 oz......
Which I could get with every other reel throwing those weights.
But it was very noisey...not just the brakes either. The spool bearings/ bushings have tolerances that vibrate and you can hear it in addition to the brakes...(or brake as i only needed 1 brake )

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Measure the ID and OD's of the relative parts that sit in the bushings.

Anything over 0.02mm can be quiet substantial in feel.

Also are the bushings a tight fit in their recesses or there slop also?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Cal wrote:This is why our reviews take the time they do to show up on the main site. We take the time to fish the product before making any judgements.

The handle shaft bushing is gapped enough that you can see past it. Which shows up as rocking in the handle.

So, you are casting over 120 yards with it?

It's not an awful reel. Just not as refined as what's out there in the 200$ price range.

I let it rip for a bit casting it for distance. With a variety of weight ranges. Not putting in much effort I was able to easily get close to 375' feet. 252' with 5/8 oz......
But it was very noisey...not just the brakes either. The spool bearings/ bushings have tolerances that vibrate and you can hear it in addition to the brakes...(or brake as i only needed 1 brake )
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm

A lot of time went into field testing products, months sometimes, unless there was a specific aspect that was being examined.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 pm

ccass wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:

So, you are casting over 120 yards with it?

With 18 grams 250' (video up tomorrow)
with 2 ounces 375' (9'6 black hole 8lb braid 50lb shocker)....(only brought a 100 yard tape with me.)
(a few went further but went a bit off line so i didn't bother walking them out.
Not putting in much effort. Most reels will go that far. It all comes down to getting the braking down as low as possible...then 90% of the reels will get out within 10% of that distance or further. Brake setting on this reel was very tame at 1

In comparison. My mono magged qtc framed abu which i regret ever selling....600' was a breeze. (put me on a tourney casting rod at around 13' and i'm sure with a slight bit of practice on it I'd be in the 700's