Soliciting advice on a BFS reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Soliciting advice on a BFS reel

Post by Winstondry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 am

Needs some opinions from experienced owners of these reels, Daiwa PX Type R or 06 Shimano Aldeberan MG7

Looking to convert one of these to a BFS reel, both are stock except for handles and knob upgrades. Which of these reels would work best with a ZPI or other brand shallow spool to allow me to cast as light as possible finesse baits here in SoCal?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

Alain

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Soliciting advice on a BFS reel

Post by BigG » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Spool choices for PX R are PX Airy Red or Presso (you will need spacers), don't about any Zip spools for PXs. I put an Airy Red in my Type R and am very pleased.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Sorry dulpicate
Last edited by BigG on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Both are good choices!

The Aldebaran has more spool options and would have the most bfs potential. The avail honeycomb spools are very light and can cast the smallest of baits.

The px-r is a tighter more refined reel, a diy spool would be the best for the lightweights but wouldn't be able to go quite as light as an Aldebaran.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the Aldebaran and was going to try one of the DIY or Ray's spools I've seen on the auction site and Aliexpress. Anyone have experience with either of them in an Aldebaran?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:42 pm

09Aldebaran, and its what I use too. I have a PX68R, and while its a good reel, my Aldebaran with the Avail honeycomb spool is just plain sick! Another good option is the Yumeya spool, especially if you are gonna use braid.
<")))><{

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:15 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:09Aldebaran, and its what I use too. I have a PX68R, and while its a good reel, my Aldebaran with the Avail honeycomb spool is just plain sick! Another good option is the Yumeya spool, especially if you are gonna use braid.
There are 2 or 3 Avail honeycomb spools, which one are you using?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:02 pm

I have both..
I have the pxtr and 09 aldebaran both tuned by Ian

The 09A is a beast of a light caster AFTER getting the work as well as is the PXTR. I used the KTF spool inside the 09A but gave it back to my curado 50E for dropshotting.. I dont know of many spools better than the KTF for BFS fishing.. As someone already mentioned , the Pixy is TIGHT and refined but IMO its a notch above the 09A. If I had to chose between the two it would primarily come down to two things, the water type fresh , salt or brackish and how deep into BFS you want to go.. The PXTR is not recommended for brackish or salt water so i only use it in known freshwater lakes. After the Ian turnning both reels are more than impressive they are just phenomenal. If its a dedicated BFS reel then the Pixy hands down.. If this is a whim and your just going down the BFS road 09Aldebaran all the way or even one of its variants or just get a conquest 50 BFS HG and call it a day..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Winstondry wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:09Aldebaran, and its what I use too. I have a PX68R, and while its a good reel, my Aldebaran with the Avail honeycomb spool is just plain sick! Another good option is the Yumeya spool, especially if you are gonna use braid.
There are 2 or 3 Avail honeycomb spools, which one are you using?
I use the 50RR. I know its not a crazy BFS spool, but we need the possibility of having plenty of line. We have some crazy fish down here that will hammer anything. I like the availability to have my 10lb Seaguar Senshi at a pretty good capacity and still throw light baits in the 1/16 and 1/8oz range.
<")))><{

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Appreciate all the feedback! I'm going with a shallower spool for the PX Type R.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Love these DIY spools for my Daiwa reels (don't own a Pixy though).

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Diy-pixy- ... =y&catId=0

DaveJ