Curado K gears

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado K gears

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:18 pm

fishballer06 wrote:
That's cool and all, but that Spyderco though...
Love it, but I been carrying a custom delica daily.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 am

I might need to try me a set of those brass gears in my Met 13 with all this great feedback :-k

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:15 am

mthao105 wrote:Are there any left hand gearsets available yet? I looked at shimano's website, but there was no option to get any parts for the curado k.
Im expecting LH gears in any day now.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:45 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
fishballer06 wrote:
That's cool and all, but that Spyderco though...
Love it, but I been carrying a custom delica daily.

It's your own fault. If you didn't have such nice tackle, you wouldn't need to carry that knife! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 am

I carry a Strider...but have love for Spyderco. Aside from cool knives...

The brass drive gear will fit and work in the Metanium BUT the brass pinion gear material is also harder. The aluminum drive gear that comes in Metanium is a harder material than brass. In order to have better durability, the pinion material has to change. Otherwise the drive gear will just chew up the pinion gear.

Using the harder brass pinion gear with a brass drive gear will result in the same issue down the road. The drive gear will wear at a different rate and the gear feeling/noise will still occur. It just might take a little longer because the brass alloy in the drive gear is little softer.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am

Bantam1 wrote:I carry a Strider...but have love for Spyderco. Aside from cool knives...

The brass drive gear will fit and work in the Metanium BUT the brass pinion gear material is also harder. The aluminum drive gear that comes in Metanium is a harder material than brass. In order to have better durability, the pinion material has to change. Otherwise the drive gear will just chew up the pinion gear.

Using the harder brass pinion gear with a brass drive gear will result in the same issue down the road. The drive gear will wear at a different rate and the gear feeling/noise will still occur. It just might take a little longer because the brass alloy in the drive gear is little softer.
Is that harder brass pinion gear true for all aluminum/brass gear combinations?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 am

Yes. Aluminum is a much harder material than brass, especially when you are using different alloys of each material.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 am

Bantam1 wrote:Yes. Aluminum is a much harder material than brass, especially when you are using different alloys of each material.
What about reels such as the Conquest that come with brass gears and a brass pinion gear?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 am

Bantam1 wrote:Yes. Aluminum is a much harder material than brass, especially when you are using different alloys of each material.
Thanks.
Was the switch to aluminum main gears just to save weight?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:16 am

Bantam1 wrote:I carry a Strider...but have love for Spyderco. Aside from cool knives...

So essentially what you’re saying is the Metanium MGL and 13 Metanium will always suffer from gear buzz?

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Any improvement in durability will help especially when you consider those of us who use Lefty's, the Alum. drive gear cost 50% more than the right hand drive gear and I can get two Brass for the price of one Lefty Aluminum (HG/XG). I have two new (brass drive gear) sets in the mail now. In my experience the drive gear usually wears out fastest no matter the brand because of the hardening of the pinions.

I hope this experiment pans out to make a great reel better!

Kurt

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Gears should always be replaced as a set. They wear together and once they wear, they should be replaced. Typically the pinion will wear faster than the drive.

I don't know what you guys are calling gear buzz. Are you trying to describe sound, or feel? Properly greased gears with our ACE2 grease takes care of most noise. If the gears are worn, they will need to be replaced. ACE 2 should be applied to 1/2 of the drive gear teeth.

The difference in cost is purely based on numbers sold. It costs less to manufacture more pieces at a time. Since lefty reels sell way less units than RH versions, the cost will be higher for replacement parts.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Bantam1 wrote:Gears should always be replaced as a set. They wear together and once they wear, they should be replaced. Typically the pinion will wear faster than the drive.

I don't know what you guys are calling gear buzz. Are you trying to describe sound, or feel? Properly greased gears with our ACE2 grease takes care of most noise. If the gears are worn, they will need to be replaced. ACE 2 should be applied to 1/2 of the drive gear teeth.

The difference in cost is purely based on numbers sold. It costs less to manufacture more pieces at a time. Since lefty reels sell way less units than RH versions, the cost will be higher for replacement parts.
Bantam, the "buzz" being referred to is feel. The XG and HG more so than the 6.2 reels. There is a very distinct vibration that Ive experienced with them in as few as 3 or 4 outings. Most of the time when opened, the gear was essentially dry of any lube on the gear.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm

The above describes it. And greasing the gears only fixes the problem temporarily, the vibration always comes back. Problem disappears with the K brass drive gear and so far has not returned. Mine is a 6.2 reel.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:40 pm

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:Gears should always be replaced as a set. They wear together and once they wear, they should be replaced. Typically the pinion will wear faster than the drive.

Bantam, the "buzz" being referred to is feel. The XG and HG more so than the 6.2 reels. There is a very distinct vibration that Ive experienced with them in as few as 3 or 4 outings. Most of the time when opened, the gear was essentially dry of any lube on the gear.
The difference in cost is purely based on numbers sold. It costs less to manufacture more pieces at a time. Since lefty reels sell way less units than RH versions, the cost will be higher for replacement parts.[/quote]
I wonder why this is only significant on the Metaniums and not the Curado or Antaries etc?

+1 on this The ACE2 dries out very quickly on the Aluminum gears after 4 or 5 hard running fish ACE2 usually starts to give up and the retrieve gets gritty feeling but it does work well on Brass gears. Shimano DG06 works very good on Metaniums but you need to make the switch before the gears are worn if you want to maintain and improve the original feel of the reel. My Mets have run long periods with no loss in smoothness using it, if the gears are starting to get rough there's no going back no matter what grease you use.

I should find out soon enough how the Brass conversion works I have two XG sets in the mail now with 1ea. 13 and MGL pinion.

Kurt