Finesse Spinning Reel Size Recommendation

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Finesse Spinning Reel Size Recommendation

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am

I plan on adding a finesse spinning reel to my collection. Normal finesse techniques such as dropshot, shakey head, tubes, wacky style, etc. I'll probably run light braid with a fluor leader. I'm looking for some recommendations as to the reel size.

I've read where some people have gone to the larger reels for better line management. Another plus would be a higher gear ratio. Daiwa and Shimano offer numerous choices as to reel size.

Which size would you buy and why? Thanks for your input in advance.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Finesse Spinning Reel Size Recommendation

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 am

You will get a bunch of different responses. I like a shallow spool and a high gear ratio. The Daiwa 2506 is ideal for me. I also run a shallow 2004 for #5 FC...drop shot only. Unfortunately, those spool sizes are not available domestically.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:41 pm

I agree with Tokugawa in detail. Something to consider, and it's important, is size of stripper guide on your stick. While big spinner for line management is real it's only relevant within certain boundary. Within that boundary, light braid ain't it. It'll work just fine, not requisite, though if you go big spinner you'll need a rod with big enough primary guide to cast it. In my opinion, you're free to throw light braid on any size spinner you wish.
PEACE

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 pm

I'm not positive on this, but I think I read somewhere that some manufacturers make the body of the 2500 & 3000 reels the same size. The only difference is the spool size and maybe a slight difference in the weight and possible difference in the gear ratio.

Is this generally true?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:31 pm

tacklejunkie2 wrote:I'm not positive on this, but I think I read somewhere that some manufacturers make the body of the 2500 & 3000 reels the same size. The only difference is the spool size and maybe a slight difference in the weight and possible difference in the gear ratio.

Is this generally true?
This is true for some models. Not a generality tho, so you'll have to do the homework on each model line.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:35 pm

I like 2500 size for everything.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:53 pm

A couple of things come to mind.

The first is a larger 3000 or 4000 series spinning reel is at no disadvantage over a 500 or a 1000 series in casting lures using ultra-light sized lines. In fact, since the coils of line that spiral off the reel are larger, it should cast farther. If you attached a 3000 series to a 5 ft. ultra-light rod, it'd cast farther for most weights. The exception would be casting something so very light that wind resistance is a limiting factor.

But, the issue then morphs over to at least two factors: One is that larger reel spools require a ton of very light lines to fill them to the typical point most of us load them . . . to within a small fraction of an inch from the lip; and, two, the weight of the reel and how it balances on the rod can be problematic. While a 2500 series reel is a great compromise, it might be too heavy for a 5 ft. ultra-light rod, for example.

Well, anyway, I tend to use 1000 series Shimanos on my ultra-light rods and I have a 2500 and a 3000 for bass rods.

Seems to work fine.

I'd have no qualms, though, putting a 2500 series on a small ultra-light, say like my 6'9" St. Croix UltraiLight rod. It'd likely get me another yard or two I suspect.

Brad

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:46 am

If you're using light braid to a mono or fluoro leader, a 1000 size reel will work fine.
Just remember to keep your leader short enough to keep the splice knot out of the spool, or the knot will stick and cause tip wrap and nightmares. ;)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:32 am

Why use a braid mainline with FC leader for finesse? It doesn't seem like there is much benefit and a bunch of downsides with knots.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am

Tokugawa wrote:Why use a braid mainline with FC leader for finesse? It doesn't seem like there is much benefit and a bunch of downsides with knots.
I use light braid with a heavy-ish floro leader for most of my finesse fishing. I do it for a mix of reasons;

1) Pickerel Protection. Most of the waters I fish have them and they are a very common bycatch.
2) Increased sink rate. I have found that going with say 8lb braid to a 10-12lb floro leader really helps keep tiny moving lures down in the water column. I did a little side by side and a 1/16oz inline spinner will stay a foot or so lower at a given retrieve speed with a heavy fluoro leader compare to a direct tie to light braid.
3) Less line left in the water when I have to break off a snag. I find that with a alberto line/leader knot and a trilene knot at the terminal connection, the line will break at the lure almost 100% of the time. When using straight braid or floro I will often have the line break dozens of feel up from the lure.

I prefer smaller, 1000 sized reels so light braid gives me the best casting distance and line management but I hate how it handles with small hard baits, especially if there is any wind. I do hate the sound of the knot ticking through the guides, but I have never found a light floro that works better than braid/leader. I am going to give a few different monos a go this year to see how they fair, but for most finesse applications I really prefer a sinking line or heavy sinking leader.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 am

I use usually a Daiwa Caldia Z 2000 (another painted up, added bearing Aussie variant) and I've had no troubles at all. I a man running your said line situation with 8lb Jbraid and 12lb leader. 2000 has fantastic line control. I use this setup day in day out, that being said I run micro guides.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm

I use 2000 size reels for everything. In heavy applications I use braid and for lite lines I use 6 lb sniper. My original fuego works well for the flouro

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:59 pm

For drop shotting you'll be fine with either a 2500 or 3000 sized reel. I personally prefer 2500 sized reels for the slight weight savings from the reel. I also run 10-15 pound braid to 5-8 lb fluoro leader depending on the situation.

I also use an alberto knot like Houndfish, and 100% agree that when I'm snagged in something, or need to break off, it's about 100% of the time at the hook/lure. The only downside is if you don't tie a long enough leader, and keep snagging and breaking off, you'll need to eventually retie a new leader on. To save you the headache of always re-tying a leader, my friend spools about 3/4 of the spool with braid, and the rest with fluoro.

I also like using braid for added sensitivity and the zero stretch it has, so when you reel set, you hook the fish right away.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:07 am

accodn2ryan wrote:For drop shotting you'll be fine with either a 2500 or 3000 sized reel. I personally prefer 2500 sized reels for the slight weight savings from the reel. I also run 10-15 pound braid to 5-8 lb fluoro leader depending on the situation.

I also use an alberto knot like Houndfish, and 100% agree that when I'm snagged in something, or need to break off, it's about 100% of the time at the hook/lure. The only downside is if you don't tie a long enough leader, and keep snagging and breaking off, you'll need to eventually retie a new leader on. To save you the headache of always re-tying a leader, my friend spools about 3/4 of the spool with braid, and the rest with fluoro.

I also like using braid for added sensitivity and the zero stretch it has, so when you reel set, you hook the fish right away.
I originally went to braid/leader to minimize line twist. Up to that time, I'd been using 2500 sized reels, because their larger spools meant less line twist.
But when I realized how well the braid/leader worked, as far as line twist, I immediately bought two 1000 size reels, and that's all I use now for spinning applications. A 1000 sized reel holds a lot of 20 lb braid.
The zero stretch/good hook set is just a bonus.