Two 2017 editor’s choice reels. Which is better?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Freespoolit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Two 2017 editor’s choice reels. Which is better?

Post by Freespoolit » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18 pm

There were two reels that really stood out to me this year in the editor’s choice awards.

Of course it’s the Shimano Chronarch MGL and the Daiwa Tatula SV TW.

For those who have fished both reels, which do you prefer? Both reels received glowing reviewings from TT.

I own the Chronarch MGL and I own the first gen Tatula.

The Chronarch casts like a dream and retrieves even better. Unfortunately, I have never fished the Tatula SV.

Given the price difference, are they even comparable? What are your thoughts on the two reels? Which do you like better?

Thanks for your input.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Two 2017 editor’s choice reels. Which is better?

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:26 pm

I would prefer the MGL I owned one and returned it(for another 70). Here is the but. But unless a great deal is on the MGL Id get my 3rd 70. I have the gen1 tat and tat sv Id get another 70 over those. Holding MGL & tat sv side by side quality and feel is clearly evident in the higher priced MGL
1. 70
2. MGL
3. Tat sv
4. Tat
Slight bit of regret on the tat sv purchase. Got good ebay deal so not worth the hassle to return it. Had I bought it at say BPS or Cabelas it would be back in their store.