Over-Braked Daiwa's

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Over-Braked Daiwa's

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Simple question, is the Tatula SV overbraked? I love my 2 Zillion SV TW's and they are definitely not over braked for my fishing needs, but I really don't want to spend for another expensive reel for my 6'6" Avid X. I don't want a junker, but I don't need a Steez either. My Zillion SV TW's are better suited on my 7' Medium, fast Villain 2.0's and now my Chronarch MGL is moving to a nicer $200 MH rod. For now I have the Zillion SV TW on the 6'6" though and if I get a Tatula SV for jerkbaits I just want to make sure it isn't way more choked off than the Zillion. If i decided to go more expensive i would probably get the Chronarch MGL XG or another ZIllion, but I just don't fish with the short rod much, honestly I can fish with the 7' Medium, fast's just as well.
I have also considered a Curado 70, but really don't like the short handle.

So in short, is the Tatula SV over braked? Is it closer to the Zillion SV TW or closer to the SS/SV?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Over-Braked Daiwa's

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:38 pm

I feel it isn't as free as the Zillion SV but, it doesn't feel so overbraked that it is useless. I had a positive experience with it. The price can't be beat. Here is a video on the water I did. It is part of a 4 part series I did on the reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBZYptMdww&t=745
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:55 pm

I recently picked up the Tatula Sv , I did not have a chance to fish it bone stock as I made a few upgrades . Double bearing levelwind , carbontex drag washers and lastly ZPI ceramic SIC spool bearings . After the mods I took it out and casted it around with a jig then a beat up old Sammy 110. So far so good, it casts pretty darn well and super smooth . Distance was not a problem , in regards to being free I believe having a bearing on the spool makes it start up faster and feel a little more effortless. Overall I like the Tatula SV a lot for $124 I paid . It performs well above its price point, hopefully in the future I don’t have that stuck inductor issue like I did at one time with my Zillion SV TW. I changed out the spring and never had to worry about it again.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:47 am

ccass wrote:I feel it isn't as free as the Zillion SV but, it doesn't feel so overbraked that it is useless. I had a positive experience with it. The price can't be beat. Here is a video on the water I did. It is part of a 4 part series I did on the reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBZYptMdww&t=745
Already seen that video!!! I am D. Dean on youtube (I don't do videos yet, but have put a few comments on yours). But yeah, I have checked out your videos for a while. I will trust your judgement. It is hard for me to not just buy another SV105 while they are cheap, but I really don't like that tiny handle (no 100mm handles in stock at TTTrap) and sometimes it feels overwhelmed. Daiwa recently sent me a new white ramp from the Zillion SV TW where my 105 wouldn't stick though and I swear it casts further now even though I know it shouldn't matter. I don't remember, are you all Daiwa reels???

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:05 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:I recently picked up the Tatula Sv , I did not have a chance to fish it bone stock as I made a few upgrades . Double bearing levelwind , carbontex drag washers and lastly ZPI ceramic SIC spool bearings . After the mods I took it out and casted it around with a jig then a beat up old Sammy 110. So far so good, it casts pretty darn well and super smooth . Distance was not a problem , in regards to being free I believe having a bearing on the spool makes it start up faster and feel a little more effortless. Overall I like the Tatula SV a lot for $124 I paid . It performs well above its price point, hopefully in the future I don’t have that stuck inductor issue like I did at one time with my Zillion SV TW. I changed out the spring and never had to worry about it again.
I fished mine stock and it was pretty decent. I could tell the Tatula SV TW wasn't a long casting reel but, for pretty much every technique besides deep cranking, it would be adequate.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Something to consider....I've been in a few tats....2 had greased spool bearings (same as what i found in the lexas)....and those two had grease on the main shaft (which will drastically slow down the spools)

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 pm

I have had the Type R, Ct-R and now the SV , I can honestly say the Tat SV casts a lot better than those but I did not upgrade the spool bearings on those. Sv feels more refined on the retrieve for sure .

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Dies anyone have a direct comparison with the Tatula SV versus SV105/Alphas??? Or against the SS/SV? It seems the Zillion SV TW unanimously out casts the Tatula SV, just haven't heard anyone else compare the 2 reels.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Dies anyone have a direct comparison with the Tatula SV versus SV105/Alphas??? Or against the SS/SV? It seems the Zillion SV TW unanimously out casts the Tatula SV, just haven't heard anyone else compare the 2 reels.
I had/have the Tatula SV and the SV105. Granted, the line and rods are different and I am throwing different lures but, I feel the SV105 cast farther but, I wouldn't say the Tatula SV is drastically behind the SV105.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:21 pm

I just acquired a Tatula SV and at first I was totally unimpressed. I took it apart and there was grease on the spool shaft. I then took the bearings out and cleaned them in acetone and that freed them up some, but still casting while improved, was not acceptable. I had an extra set of HH air BFS bearings and put them in and it made a HUGE difference. Most of the time I'm fishing one of my many reels with BFS style spools, either from Megabass, Daiwa or DIY. This reel still won't cast with the best of these
, but I don't expect it too, but it is close enough with the SV spool that I won't be buying a DIY replacement should they ever make one.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:18 pm

daiwafan wrote:I just acquired a Tatula SV and at first I was totally unimpressed. I took it apart and there was grease on the spool shaft. I then took the bearings out and cleaned them in acetone and that freed them up some, but still casting while improved, was not acceptable. I had an extra set of HH air BFS bearings and put them in and it made a HUGE difference. Most of the time I'm fishing one of my many reels with BFS style spools, either from Megabass, Daiwa or DIY. This reel still won't cast with the best of these
, but I don't expect it too, but it is close enough with the SV spool that I won't be buying a DIY replacement should they ever make one.
Thanks, I'm not terribly picky with reels though I do like an honest assessment. I like my SS/SV103 pretty good, and I don't think they are as choked off as people claim, just like to put them on the bottom of the SV restrictive reels. So far from what I have used, the SS/SV would be a 0/10 (for SV brake force) and the Zillion SV TW is +8/10 (hard to rank because I haven't cast many of the top of the line SV reels).

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:12 am

I have a pair of sv105's and they are both pretty free casting, especially with anything 3/8oz and up.

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:24 am

I bought 4 tatula’s. 2 8:1, 1 7:3, and 1 6:3 and the only one I felt didn’t feel over braked was the 6:3. Not sure why the 6:3 cast better but i sold the other 3. I have SV103 and sv105 and the both cast better than the tat.