Some initial probs with Aldebaran BFS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Some initial probs with Aldebaran BFS

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 am

Hi all,

received my Aldebaran BFS yesterday. I spooled it up with 10# braid and a 8 pound Azuri leader, put it on my Belkei UL (1/32-1/4) and went out to test it.

Here is what I noticed in my 30mins of use:

* Magnetic breaks I had to put to 5-6 and the spool tension knob had to be pretty fixed as well, otherwise I always ended up with a severe backlash.

* Also the way to throw those lighter lures (1/8) had to be very carefully. It was more of a lob cast rather than a overhead.

Distance was good. I compared it against my Spinning 7' rod (1/8- 1/2 oz) and the BFS set up casted slightly further and more accurate.

Is there anything that I can do further increase distance and avoid backlashes?

Thanks all

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Some initial probs with Aldebaran BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:16 pm

The reel does prefer a smoother casting motion. I had 2, only have 1 now but, I never had a problem with casting. Try oiling the bearings and spool shaft. Also, take the side plate off and use something magnetic by the magnets for see if your brakes are moving freely.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:25 pm

ccass wrote:The reel does prefer a smoother casting motion. I had 2, only have 1 now but, I never had a problem with casting. Try oiling the bearings and spool shaft. Also, take the side plate off and use something magnetic by the magnets for see if your brakes are moving freely.
Thanks, will have a look. I might just need to get used to this new set up and dial everything in. Afterall I was throwing 1/8 oz lures...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 am

Also back your drag way off, and then turn it back up slowly until it's what you want. Too much drag can really affect the cast.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 am

There are some extra magnets that come with the reel as well that can be added for better control.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:14 pm

ss30378 wrote:There are some extra magnets that come with the reel as well that can be added for better control.
Was wondering what these were about ;)

Added, will try it tomorrow if the weather plays nice.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:03 pm

I run 8 magnet in mine, kinda set and forget so I use only the dial. Mine is paired with a volkey68L and #7 fcsniper. The only time I had a bad overrun was user error.

The only problem I had with this reel is that one of the magnet turned bad and it was kinda sticking out and messing with the spool so I had to remove it. Besides that it was one of my fav combo this year, I even just buyed a second one in a nice used state to replace the older platform.

Anyone know where to find the extra magnet in order to replace the one that gone bad and get a few extra at the same time just in case?