Quantum Tour MG 100 vs Team Lew's Hyper Mag Speed Spool SLP

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Quantum Tour MG 100 vs Team Lew's Hyper Mag Speed Spool SLP

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for a light (robust) casting reel that I would like to pair with my Kistler Helium 3  7' Heavy (the rod weighs something like 3.9 oz). To make this a super light and sensitive combo that does not break the bank (I paid 150 USD for the rod) I am looking at the following two options (both in the 7 gear ratio):

* Team Lew's Hyper Mag Speed Spool SLP
* Quantum Tour MG 100 

This reel (combo) would be mainly used for Jigs and paddle tails. 

Wondering if people have any experience with either of the two and make a recommendation.

Thanks very much.

Cheers,
​​​​​​​Seb.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Quantum Tour MG 100 vs Team Lew's Hyper Mag Speed Spool SLP

Post by mark poulson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 am

I use both Quantum and Lew's reels.
I would lean toward the Lew's, just because it has externally adjustable centrifugal brakes.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:25 am

Lew's for sure, great customer service, overall great company. Don't mean to be a Quantum hater, I'm sure they have some winners too, but from personal experience (friend's owning more than a few) I haven't heard the best stories. Fished a buddies Quantum a few years back before I got big into fishing and it went out after 4 months of 1-2 trips a week fishing.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Lew's for sure, great customer service, overall great company. Don't mean to be a Quantum hater, I'm sure they have some winners too, but from personal experience (friend's owning more than a few) I haven't heard the best stories. Fished a buddies Quantum a few years back before I got big into fishing and it went out after 4 months of 1-2 trips a week fishing.
Agree, their customer service is awesome! I have two LEws BB2 Inshore and they are holding up well. So, I guess i will go with the lews! Also it is 0.3 oz lighter, which is a huuuuuuuuge (jk) benefit! ;)