Pflueger Trion

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Pflueger Trion

Post by replica66[] » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:53 am

What are the pros and cons of the Pflueger Trion TR120X spinning reel? Anyone have one? Is the drag smooth? My neighbor gave one to me because he doesn't like freshwater fishing. (His wife got it for him.) He has it on one of those bright green Berkley "Trout Dough" rods. The rod is kind of a kid's rod it seems to me, but might be ok for panfishing.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pflueger Trion

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:26 am

It's a solid 30 dollar reel. It fishes above its price point. Those Berkley Dough rods seem fun to use.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

replica66[]
Angler
Angler

Post by replica66[] » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:17 pm

So over 100 views and only one reply? Wow. Doesn't anyone have anything bad to say about this reel, other than the price for an extra spool is way too much.
I went ahead and used this little pearl white reel and so far I like it. Very smooth and quiet. Anti-reverse works good, bail opens and closes properly. I have not had a chance to see how smooth the drags works yet..have not hooked into any big drag-pulling Redears yet (I fish for Bluegill, Redears and crappie). I'm thinking of buying another one.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:55 pm

I may have an extra. I'd have to look for it and I think I have the 15 but, I'm not sure though.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:44 pm

I have no experience with the Trion spinning reel. However, I have seen a few comments on it. All were good. I get the impression from what I have read that they are very good reels at their price point. Go ahead and use it. Then give a review on it. You may help out a few others. Not everyone fishes with a $200 plus spinning reel. :mrgreen:

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 am

I own a couple. One is the last gen, its about 8 years old and bought for the wife, and the current model which is new and bought for my 4 year old. I find myself grabbing them when I dont feel like cutting a dropshot rig or other lure off my higher end rods or deploying multiple minnow/bobber rigs out at once..Theyre the best of the 30ish dollar reels for sure. Pretty much a president thats not quite as buttery smooth. Trouble free, solid build, better than the shimano syncopate (rough, heavy and clunky), current abu silver max (handle will not stay tight, things fall off of it), etc. Spool with braid and have at it.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:00 am

replica66[] wrote:So over 100 views and only one reply? Wow. Doesn't anyone have anything bad to say about this reel, other than the price for an extra spool is way too much.
I went ahead and used this little pearl white reel and so far I like it. Very smooth and quiet. Anti-reverse works good, bail opens and closes properly. I have not had a chance to see how smooth the drags works yet..have not hooked into any big drag-pulling Redears yet (I fish for Bluegill, Redears and crappie). I'm thinking of buying another one.
I see you have 31 posts and I'm surprised you haven't noticed a trend here. You're asking about a $30 dollar reel on a site where anything under $200 is considered a value or entry level and under $300 is what is considered the norm. So the main reason you aren't getting responses is because the vast majority on here do not use reels in that price range or never used any in that range. I mean no disrespect but when asking about tackle, rods and reels specifically, you won't get much of a response with anything under the $100 price range and realistically if you want more than 3 or 4 opinions the range will have to be $200 or better. The anglers on this site are more about the tackle, that comes first and fishing second, they also represent a niche market, I'm not knocking anyone I'm just letting you know that if you need an assessment of a piece of tackle that is more geared toward casual anglers (under $100) you may be better served with a website made up of a more diverse crowd rather than a website designed for tackle enthusiasts.
Barlow's Tackle

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 pm

In I just want to see this thread do so well now :big grin: I like to fish for the sake of fishing, almost certain that's how I started out :-k ...... then the dark side took a hold :lol:

In all serious don't let anyone sway you from asking questions. It's part of how you learn and eventually someone will come around to help you out , some people may just get tired of answering the same stuff. Anyway I'm all dark side now but I do have a Trion for a trout spinning setup that I blow the dust off of from time to time :D As for the reel itself it is a very good reel. I cut my teeth on Old Pflueger President egg beaters and aside from being a bit heavy they were bad arse. The Trion I still have like many have stated is very good spinning reel for the coin! Enjoy! Maybe I'll see you on the other side :lol:

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:30 am

smalljaw wrote:
replica66[] wrote:So over 100 views and only one reply? Wow. Doesn't anyone have anything bad to say about this reel, other than the price for an extra spool is way too much.
I see you have 31 posts and I'm surprised you haven't noticed a trend here. You're asking about a $30 dollar reel on a site where anything under $200 is considered a value or entry level and under $300 is what is considered the norm. So the main reason you aren't getting responses is because the vast majority on here do not use reels in that price range or never used any in that range. I mean no disrespect but when asking about tackle, rods and reels specifically, you won't get much of a response with anything under the $100 price range and realistically if you want more than 3 or 4 opinions the range will have to be $200 or better. The anglers on this site are more about the tackle, that comes first and fishing second, they also represent a niche market, I'm not knocking anyone I'm just letting you know that if you need an assessment of a piece of tackle that is more geared toward casual anglers (under $100) you may be better served with a website made up of a more diverse crowd rather than a website designed for tackle enthusiasts.
I live in bass hell. Fishing comes in at about 3rd for me. I have become something of a gearhead just to keep my interest up enough to keep from quitting again. However, I can't afford $300 plus rods and reels. I do try to invest more than $30 on both...up around $100...more if it is a good deal. However, spinning is something I seldom use anymore so a $30 reel that holds up well to my occasional use is good enough for me. Will no doubt still be going strong when I am no longer here. Almost all my spinning reels cost more, but were purchased used. The best way to get good value for little money.