Steez SV TW vs Metanium MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez SV TW vs Metanium MGL

Post by Chicagoed » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if you could provide feedback on these two reels. How do these two reels compare against each other. Is one substantially better than the other? Or are they both relatively comparable. I plan on throwing weightless wacky rigs, finesse jigs, and trigs 1/8 to 1/2. I plan on putting it on either a NRX 852 or 802c. Any insights are appreciated.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez SV TW vs Metanium MGL

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:21 pm

I'd go Steez SV TW. The reel was made for the 852c. Perfect for the lighter plastics
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:43 pm

I have both & out of those 2, id go with the steez sv tw. But id say a better shimano option would be the aldebaran 50hg. The cheapest ive got a steez sv tw was 425 compared to 300 for the alde 50hg. I have the alde 50hg on my nrx852c & at 4.7oz, id say it was made for that rod.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Have both reels and agree with above statements that between those two I'd say the Steez would be better suited for finesse stuff. Also agree with considering the Aldebaran too. I also have an Aldebaran 50HG and it sits on my NRX 852. Perfect shakey head combo, imho.

Basically, here is how I utilize the three reels:

Aldebaran - shakey head and other finesse stuff
Steez - little heavier T-rigs, mostly Senkos
Metanium MGLs - heavier T-rigs and most jigs

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 pm

pharmboy2010 wrote:Have both reels and agree with above statements that between those two I'd say the Steez would be better suited for finesse stuff. Also agree with considering the Aldebaran too. I also have an Aldebaran 50HG and it sits on my NRX 852. Perfect shakey head combo, imho.

100% on point. Alde 50hg on a nrx852c for shakyheads, steez sv tw 8.1:1 on a nrx893c for t-rigs & metanium mgl xg on a nrx894c for jigs are my 3 favorite combos

Chicagoed
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Chicagoed » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:49 am

pharmboy2010 wrote:Have both reels and agree with above statements that between those two I'd say the Steez would be better suited for finesse stuff. Also agree with considering the Aldebaran too. I also have an Aldebaran 50HG and it sits on my NRX 852. Perfect shakey head combo, imho.

I'm currently running a pxlr on my 852. For me, it's my favorite shakey head setup. Also does very well throwing weightless trigs, wacky and finesse jigs. However it is not very forgiving skipping any of these. I read the steez would be best for it but wasn't sure if maybe the met would compare well with it. Regarding the aldebaran...do you think that will outperform a pxlr? So far I'm thinking steez and pxlr are the ones.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:08 pm

Have a both reels too...agreed with all you,guys! Just want to say ,this reels both great! And a bit for different lures,about Steez already a lot of info :mrgreen: and MGL-best hard lures (90-130mm jerks) machine ! In my hands,of cource ;)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Chicagoed wrote:Hey all,

I was wondering if you could provide feedback on these two reels. How do these two reels compare against each other. Is one substantially better than the other? Or are they both relatively comparable. I plan on throwing weightless wacky rigs, finesse jigs, and trigs 1/8 to 1/2. I plan on putting it on either a NRX 852 or 802c. Any insights are appreciated.

Something that came as a bit of surprise....really doesn't make a spit of difference in the reel ahem..real world.

This spring when i was comparing casting distances between the antares, steez sv tws and mgxtreme2

I was blown away that the antares. that lost to the other two reels throwing everything ranging from cranks, jerks, jigs, spinnerbaits etc on a measured field.

Beat the other two throwing wacky rigged zman zinkers.

Go figure....

I prefer the braking of the mag z, on the sv "live spool" (the one that doesn't have the extra shaft running through to the tensioner that other sv reels have)

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:51 pm

I have the Steez SV TWS and the MGL and the two rods.

* Kislter Z-Bone model LEXF-5H-73 Heavy X-Fast 7'3" 1/2 - 1 1/2oz
* Kistler Helium 3 Heavy XFast, 7' 3/8-1.5oz

One of the rods I want to use delicately for 3/8-3/4 oz Jigs, the other for paddle tails and random stuff. How would you pair them up?

Cheers.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 am

freelancer27 wrote:I have the Steez SV TWS and the MGL and the two rods.

* Kislter Z-Bone model LEXF-5H-73 Heavy X-Fast 7'3" 1/2 - 1 1/2oz
* Kistler Helium 3 Heavy XFast, 7' 3/8-1.5oz

One of the rods I want to use delicately for 3/8-3/4 oz Jigs, the other for paddle tails and random stuff. How would you pair them up?

Cheers.
I would go with the Steez - Z-Bone for your bottom contact. The Helium 3 is bada** single hook swimbait rod, paired with the MGL. Very nice combos!!