Long distance spool for sv103

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Long distance spool for sv103

Post by Rippin-lips » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 pm

The SV103 has pretty strong magnets in the palm side plate. I’ve tested mine using a tdz r+ spool with a 1/2oz bait and I was very surprised as to how overly braked it still was. With loose spool tension I could still cast with zero thumb when having the brake dial on 3. On 2.5 it still required almost no thumb. Just enough to stop the initial fluff but it was nothing crazy. The zillion 1016 sv spool with upgraded inductor spring has been the best all around comprise I’ve found. It’s still able to have the sv control but it also gets some distance too.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:32 pm

I'm mainly looking to cast 1/2oz up. Frogs, swimbaits, jigs...whatever. the stock spool seems to have nice distance. I got OS bearings in it. I'll be running 30lb braid. I got a RCS 1016 but, amongst all the spool tuning, I've turned it into a MEGA longcast spool for a T3...just a pitching beast and a birds nest machine in the SV103. Some more tinkering, that'll probably be my spool.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:58 pm

Hey guys.

Well I got myself a RCS 1016 t3 for the last few months. Its been doing ok, better than the stock SV one for sure.
Cast pretty well but I'm not that satisfied yet...i find its got good control and distance for 1oz but its lacking something. i dont know exactly what is is. I didn't get the steez A spool as i reckon it will be very similar to the rcs1016 at a higher price.

ccass what did u do to yours to make it mega long cast?

Perhaps a cheap mod will be to put the inductor from the alphas sv onto the SV103 spool as the rotor is shorter than the sv103's stock one? Will try that out soon.

Just ordered a ZpI PG and will try that out soon...Asked ZPI about it and its made from extra super duralimin and can be used is salt water if washed well after use. Perfecto!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:11 am

fishingkat wrote: ccass what did u do to yours to make it mega long cast?
I'd say for you, just stretch the spring just a tiny little tad. Will make a decent difference.

I did more to it but, that's a good place to start.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:40 am

I have an old SS/SV spool sitting around, not the lightest spool, but I am willing to tear into it without fear. Is there any inductor/spring combo that I could order for it? If I WAS able to add a 1016 Zillion SV inductor & spring shouldn't that increase the performance quite well??? It would be a few grams heavier than the G1 1016 SV TW spool, but would still be much better than a stock SS/SV, right???

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I have an old SS/SV spool sitting around, not the lightest spool, but I am willing to tear into it without fear. Is there any inductor/spring combo that I could order for it? If I WAS able to add a 1016 Zillion SV inductor & spring shouldn't that increase the performance quite well??? It would be a few grams heavier than the G1 1016 SV TW spool, but would still be much better than a stock SS/SV, right???
Zillion 1016 sv with a stiffer spring is a good combo in the 103. The rcs 1012 sv is nice too. It’s shallow though and you’ll be pushing it on line capacity. I took my Sv103 inductor and milled it down 40 thousandths to match the zillion 1016 inductor. It helped a tad but not enough. I noticed after putting both back together that the zillion spool has the inductor closer to the spool. Even though both were now the same length, the 103 still sat higher. You can order just the inductor from PLAT. I believe it’s around $30 or so. Grab a zillion hlc spring while you’re at it. The alphas sv inductor would probably work out good.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:16 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I have an old SS/SV spool sitting around, not the lightest spool, but I am willing to tear into it without fear. Is there any inductor/spring combo that I could order for it? If I WAS able to add a 1016 Zillion SV inductor & spring shouldn't that increase the performance quite well??? It would be a few grams heavier than the G1 1016 SV TW spool, but would still be much better than a stock SS/SV, right???
What ripping lips said.

But avoid the sv springs. All are soft
Get one outta the td r+, OG zillion hlc, z2020 or a rcs1016. These are the harder ones.

Check if the ramp (part touching spool) is white. If it's black get on from the zillion sv which is white. Makes a big difference.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:17 am

The spool from the Ringa SSS is another great long caster.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:55 am

I've tried the G1 1016 Spool from the Steez A and it casts pretty good in the SV103. Definitely a good deep spool option.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:16 am

Anyone try the ito/type r spool in it? With the sv103's stronger magnets, it might jive well.
Another option might be the older zpi 001 spool.

I've got both of those spools, as well as a R+ and a rcs 1016. Haven't tried any of them though.

To be honest I'm pretty happy with the distance of the stock spool. I was just planning on getting the Zillion TW SV stock spool or SLP g1 1016 and calling it a day.

@fishingkat Members have said that the zpi Pg spool is pretty wild in the sv103. Don't remember if lure weight was mentioned, it could be good with heavier baits you're using though.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Ito spool compared to stock sv103xs spool. Sv103 inductor is huge compared to the ito. Hard to tell from the pics, but it's also much thicker.

Gonna give the ito a go in the sv103. But due to the cage style bearing setup on the sv103 spool, I gotta use mismatched bearings. So won't be very scientific :/

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Gave the ito spool a go in there for some yard casting.
Used x4 black Elseil rod, .30mm mono(10lb sufix siege). Spool tension was set to right at no side-to-side spool play(I always run it a hair tighter with this spool, do to fast start up).

With 22g rattletrap the thing was a rocket launcher. Only got to try down to brake 5 setting before it ended up in the top of a tree. :lol:

With a 17g strike king silent squarebill(no moving weight), it casts about the same as with the stock sv spool, maybe a hair farther.
Brake setting 3 is the point of fluff. Everything above that is surprisingly tame.

Again, I was using mix matched bearings(stock ito spool bearing with stock SV103 palm plate bearing), so take it with a grain of salt. But I don't know if it'd make that much of a difference?

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Can anyone who uses it specifically with the G1 SV spool chime in on the performance difference, if any at all?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:32 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:Can anyone who uses it specifically with the G1 SV spool chime in on the performance difference, if any at all?
I have used my SV103 with G1 1012 and 1016, which certainly makes a big difference with regard to casting length and ease of casting very light lures. Both are nice spools in SV103. I have used the stock SV103 spool in my T3s on long-cast mode.

As noted in spookybaits pics, the SV103 has a huge inductor and the G1 spools certainly have smaller inductors (I have no ito spool so I cannot compare with that spool).

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:05 am

fishingkat wrote:
What ripping lips said.

But avoid the sv springs. All are soft
Get one outta the td r+, OG zillion hlc, z2020 or a rcs1016. These are the harder ones.

Check if the ramp (part touching spool) is white. If it's black get on from the zillion sv which is white. Makes a big difference.
Everyone got me so scared of the "sticking" caused by the old black ramp that I had my SV105 fixed before it ever even stuck, didn't even happen one time. They fixed it though so now it never will, was in warranty so worth it to me. Now I just need to locate the inductor and spring, I know a few places where to buy the better ramp.

That ITO spool's inductor looks legit, in my opinion Daiwa's have 20 brake settings for a reason. I never use anything higher than 10 it seems, if even that unless skipping.