Long distance spool for sv103

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Long distance spool for sv103

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:51 am

Should note that I have only used the nrc001m with thin braid...

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:47 am

fishingkat wrote:Anyone done a comparison on the ZPI Pg vs the SLP g1 SV 1012 or 1016?
I tested 3 spools in the Steez sv tw all in the same day over the course of 4hrs. The wind was 10-15mph so I didn’t try anything in the 1/8-1/4oz range but did throw a handful of baits from 3/8-1/2oz. The 3 spools were the Zpi PG - zillion G1 1016 - steez G1 1016. The pg isn’t as fast as the M from what I’ve heard. For me I found the zillion G1 spool to be the overall better spool for me. It took less braking to bomb a cast and it also took less braking to skip a bait a decent distance without having it end up backlashing and feeling like it was choked down. I’m still pretty new to skipping still though. This is my opinion obviously on the zillion spool being the best choice of the 3, but for how I like to fish it suites me the best.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:52 am

I keep meaning to try the Zillion G1 1016 in my Steez sv tw, but both of mine are loaded with heavier line then I would even use on that reel. I picked them up last time TT had then in stock and kinda regret not getting a third. I have used them so far in both a sv103 and a Ringa SSS and that spool is great in both. I also have a RCS 1012 sv spool that I have tried in both of those reels and is is freer casting and less controllable in both, but I think it edges the Zillion G1 1016 a bit overall, the loss of control is minor compared to how well it casts. But at about twice the price of a Zillion G1, I don't feel like it is that huge a difference for most 1/2oz plus lures.

I also have a pair of stock sv103 spools I am going to send out this week to get the spring replaced, I hope that makes them more usable for heaver lures so I can free up on of my Zillion G1 spools.

With all this spool chat going on, has anyone found a strong, compact container that will tight fit a spool plus a little padding? The clear/white plastic twist-in-half containers that some spools ship in are OK, but I would love something that is a bit tougher and closes more securely. I though about looking for a pill bottle, but it's hard to find good sizing info online and the one pharmacy I tried to ask at was not at all interested in dealing with me.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Houndfish wrote:I keep meaning to try the Zillion G1 1016 in my Steez sv tw, but both of mine are loaded with heavier line then I would even use on that reel. I picked them up last time TT had then in stock and kinda regret not getting a third. I have used them so far in both a sv103 and a Ringa SSS and that spool is great in both. I also have a RCS 1012 sv spool that I have tried in both of those reels and is is freer casting and less controllable in both, but I think it edges the Zillion G1 1016 a bit overall, the loss of control is minor compared to how well it casts. But at about twice the price of a Zillion G1, I don't feel like it is that huge a difference for most 1/2oz plus lures.

I also have a pair of stock sv103 spools I am going to send out this week to get the spring replaced, I hope that makes them more usable for heaver lures so I can free up on of my Zillion G1 spools.

With all this spool chat going on, has anyone found a strong, compact container that will tight fit a spool plus a little padding? The clear/white plastic twist-in-half containers that some spools ship in are OK, but I would love something that is a bit tougher and closes more securely. I though about looking for a pill bottle, but it's hard to find good sizing info online and the one pharmacy I tried to ask at was not at all interested in dealing with me.
I have a plastic container I bought at Lowe’s in the tool section. It’s an organizer for nuts/bolts/ect. I’ll take a pic later.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Picked this up and cut foam to fit the compartments. I also added some type of foam tape to the top of the lid. They don’t move when the lid is closed and it’s pretty sturdy.

fishinblack
Angler
Angler

Post by fishinblack » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 am

I have two ZPI 001M spools. I use them in a SS SV 103 (with 75 m 10 lbs DoA FC) and in a Steez SV TW 1016 with 12 pound braid.
Definitely one of the quickest spools i have ever fished (even a bit faster than the Megabass IS BFS spool).
The ZPI spools are absolut performance monsters!
Mag brakes in the SS SV 103 is 5-7 clicks and in the Steez 4-6 (which implies 2-3 clicks in the SS, because of different gradations).
For me, the ZPI are a bit harder to handle than the stock SV spools, but they cast further (a lot!) and lighter.
If you have a quick thumb to control the cast, try the ZPI :whistle:
Instagram: @fish.in.black

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 am

Rippin-lips wrote:Picked this up and cut foam to fit the compartments. I also added some type of foam tape to the top of the lid. They don’t move when the lid is closed and it’s pretty sturdy.

Cool idea, thanks!

I think I still want something smaller to hold a single spare spool so I can swap out when I am hiking around, but eventually I will find the pill bottle of my dreams.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 am

Houndfish wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:Picked this up and cut foam to fit the compartments. I also added some type of foam tape to the top of the lid. They don’t move when the lid is closed and it’s pretty sturdy.

Cool idea, thanks!

I think I still want something smaller to hold a single spare spool so I can swap out when I am hiking around, but eventually I will find the pill bottle of my dreams.
I'd think a prenatal vitamin prescription bottle could work. They are usually tall though.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 am

ccass wrote:
Houndfish wrote:

Cool idea, thanks!

I'd think a prenatal vitamin prescription bottle could work. They are usually tall though.
Yea, my ideal is one just a bit bigger then the spool, so it's will not bang around and there is room to glue a little closed cell foam to the bottom of the bottle and the cap. I just need to find a pharmacy who will deal with me and not start fingering the alarm button when I walk up babbling about protecting my spools. :big grin:

I bank beat about half the time and only carry a single combo, so being able to have say a braid spool and a floro spool on me is a huge advantage. I also like the idea of having a spare spool along when hiking in places with a BFS combo, they are more prone to get an unrecoverable backlash, esp when fishing tight rivers and creeks.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 am

When I used to bank beat with a few spools, I used pill bottles or vitamin bottles with some foam in them. Hit the dollar store or a flea market, you can find lots of perfect size bottles.
(I keep my hooks & weights in pill bottles too)

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Dang that ktf spool would look $$ in my tdz strapped to my helium 3. I have 105 spool in it now for weightless plastics and lt trigs.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Bought these from a yahoo japan action. Haven't been able to find them again. They are the twist on containers but they have foam inserts for both ends.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Those of you looking for spool storage options; if you know someone with a machine shop, mechanic etc, a lot of the taps etc that they use, come in heavy duty screw style packaging. Similar to the proprietary spool cases the reel companies used to supply but heavy duty and probably for free.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 am

Sore Thumb wrote:Those of you looking for spool storage options; if you know someone with a machine shop, mechanic etc, a lot of the taps etc that they use, come in heavy duty screw style packaging. Similar to the proprietary spool cases the reel companies used to supply but heavy duty and probably for free.
That's it!

I knew I had seen that style of screw-together container before but I could not for the life of me figure out where or in what context. Big drill bits come in them as well. Now it should be easier to get some useful results out of google.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu May 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Houndfish wrote: With all this spool chat going on, has anyone found a strong, compact container that will tight fit a spool plus a little padding? The clear/white plastic twist-in-half containers that some spools ship in are OK, but I would love something that is a bit tougher and closes more securely. I though about looking for a pill bottle, but it's hard to find good sizing info online and the one pharmacy I tried to ask at was not at all interested in dealing with me.
Here is a solution for spool storage. Put those plastic twist in half containers, preferably the ones with foam at both ends inside a plano bait jar organizer stowaway. Holds the twist in half containers securely.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious