TDZ / TDX is there a better platform

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TDZ / TDX is there a better platform

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 pm

hungry_cow wrote:To me no, the TDZ platform is the best. I have a LIN 10, a Monoblock, IS 71, PX-Type R and love all of them. But notice I have one of each and really no desire to get another. I have 2 TDZ R+, an ITO, a Personal Order, and a A.O.I. in the TDZ frame. They are the best combination of comfort, casting, and refinement. Especially with the plethora of spool options.

The LIN 10 and Monoblock are unmatched in precision and refinement, but the LIN 10 is heavy as an all around reel, and the Monoblock doesn't cast as good in my hands with the same spools as the TDZ reels. The PX-Type R is slightly more smooth and refined, but more finesse oriented. The IS is slightly more refined and casts just as good but on most rods isn't as comfortable as the TDZ. With my bigger hands the TDZ is more comfortable than the super low profiles most frames are now built on. Also in my opinion the TDZ platform is the best looking low profile platform ever made, especially when you take into account the Ito, A.O.I. and all the personal order reels. And when you get it supretuned with brass gears its just about as refined as anything made.

So yes in my opinion it is still the best platform ever made. If I could only use one platform it would without a doubt be the TDZ platform.

The IS/Steez platform is good and I recently out of desperation put my Steez LTD on an old MBR 843 rod ( coincidentally the my first expensive rod and I paid retail at the time). Anyways I wanted to see if i could and how well it would cast s/b.. It does a superb job without a doubt.
But same rod with my TD-Z and its just a natural feeling that is comfortable and gives me extreme confidence.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 pm

This platform is still the most comfortable in my hands. The clutch spring on the SV103 is way stronger and better than the TDZ though. You will never go back to fishing a TDZ with 6.3 gears for bottom contact baits once you fish 7.9 and above. This is the big issue with the TDZ and right handed fisherman.
I'll also take the aluminum frame of the SV103 for today's longer rods and heavier line. I would take another SV103XS with a four bearing handle and knobs of my choice over any TDZ platform when it comes to heavy cover fishing.
It would be nice to have a few limited TDZ variants to replace my two OG Fuego's, but I think they would spend most of the time on the shelf. I mostly fish my old Fuego's with crankbaits. I may end up putting reducers in my oldest worn out Fuego to give me more spool options, if I ever get around to rebuilding it. The TDZ100M spool in the Fuego is fun for bombing rattletraps over grass flats.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 am

There isn't. I have 37 TD-Z's and keep buying more. Over 30 spool options, lefties have three gear options, so many limited models, etc. I have a few of the flip/pitch models too and they are phenomenal for their intended application. I run a few Alphas, Millionaires, Zondas, IS, Steez, etc in the lineup as well, but the TD-Z still reigns supreme.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Teal101 wrote:There isn't. I have 37 TD-Z's and keep buying more. Over 30 spool options, lefties have three gear options, so many limited models, etc. I have a few of the flip/pitch models too and they are phenomenal for their intended application. I run a few Alphas, Millionaires, Zondas, IS, Steez, etc in the lineup as well, but the TD-Z still reigns supreme.
How about selling me/trading me a few of your reels :D for a few of mine!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:44 am

Big-Bass wrote:
Teal101 wrote:There isn't. I have 37 TD-Z's and keep buying more. Over 30 spool options, lefties have three gear options, so many limited models, etc. I have a few of the flip/pitch models too and they are phenomenal for their intended application. I run a few Alphas, Millionaires, Zondas, IS, Steez, etc in the lineup as well, but the TD-Z still reigns supreme.
How about selling me/trading me a few of your reels :D for a few of mine!
You're a righty and I'm a lefty ;)
I like TD-Z's

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:54 am

LowRange wrote:Yes, the Alphas. :whistle:
x2, I love the Alphas frame. It just disappears in my hand. I really enjoy the TDZ frame, though I only currently own 1 reel on that platform, an OG Fuego.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:26 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
x2, I love the Alphas frame. It just disappears in my hand. I really enjoy the TDZ frame, though I only currently own 1 reel on that platform, an OG Fuego.
I love my lone Alphas for finesse also, but a 33mm or smaller spool isn't the best choice for heavier line. It's not much of an all around platform. I wouldn't go punching with one. :lol:
Last edited by toddmc on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:15 pm

toddmc wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I love my lone Alphas for finesse also, but a 32mm spool isn't the best choice for heavier line. It's not much of an all around platform. I wouldn't go punching with one. :lol:
My Alphas Type F holds about 80 yds of 50# braid. I flip into some pretty nasty cover with it regularly and have never had a minute's problem with it. Another of my Alphas reels has a Zonda spool and it has about 85 yds of 17# Sufix Siege on it. Going on 2 seasons pitching a jig w/ plastic trailer into cover with that one and it's still a great performer......oh, and I throw a frog with a PX-R!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:32 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
toddmc wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I love my lone Alphas for finesse also, but a 32mm spool isn't the best choice for heavier line. It's not much of an all around platform. I wouldn't go punching with one. :lol:
My Alphas Type F holds about 80 yds of 50# braid. I flip into some pretty nasty cover with it regularly and have never had a minute's problem with it. Another of my Alphas reels has a Zonda spool and it has about 85 yds of 17# Sufix Siege on it. Going on 2 seasons pitching a jig w/ plastic trailer into cover with that one and it's still a great performer......oh, and I throw a frog with a PX-R!
Yes, the platform will work for lighter duty pitching with braid. I could do this with a spinning rod also, but that doesn't make it the best tool for the job. I'd much rather have a bigger diameter spool. I punch, which is what previously mentioned, with 65 and 80lb. braid. I wouldn't put either on a 32mm spool.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm

TD-Zs are more versatile than Alphas but I can't get over the geary retrieve of mag reels and TD-Z is no exception. For that reason alone I'd rather have an SV103 or Alphas. Not knocking the TD-Z by any means. For the record my TD-Z is smoother than my SS SV, IS73 and Steez LTD but not as smooth as any my Zonda, 2 Alphas SVs and about on par with a old Ito ai. I'm done with mag reels.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 pm

LowRange wrote:TD-Zs are more versatile than Alphas but I can't get over the geary retrieve of mag reels and TD-Z is no exception. For that reason alone I'd rather have an SV103 or Alphas. Not knocking the TD-Z by any means. For the record my TD-Z is smoother than my SS SV, IS73 and Steez LTD but not as smooth as any my Zonda, 2 Alphas SVs and about on par with a old Ito ai. I'm done with mag reels.
Pack the bearings that make contact with the frame with grease. This helps dampen the vibrations a little. I do agree that aluminum framed reels will have a little less vibration, which feels better for reaction baits, but you want to be able to transmit more vibration for bottom contact baits. That is what I use my Steez for.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:33 am

Please somebody help us right handers out and find some higher gear ratios that work. ](*,)

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:38 pm

goldrod wrote:I have only the TD-X 103P and the TD-Z 103 I believe.
By my own admission I am a late bloomer but The tdx can throw a shad rap size 7 a good ways. its so smooth and i guess thats what gets me. I doesnt have the original spool but a Steez 103sha spool and a 100mm handle and Type R drag star with bearing and drag upgrades of course but man. Its not a heavy reel and I've come to appreciate the two reels more that most of the new stuff out there. I do have a D5 that is love but the TD is just something different.. I wish i was more up to speed when they first came out but from 1998-2005 i was just getting my feet wet and I dont think i discovered this site til sometime after 2006.
Love my TD-Z 105H reels. Cast a #5 Shad Rap quite well. I've had a TD-X 100HSDF for several years, but must admit it seldom got used and hasn't been used in several years. Mainly because I am not a fan of its looks. I was recently given 2 other TD-X reels (one looks like the HSDF, the other like a regular low profile). Nothing to look at cosmetically, but the internals have been gone through and upgraded. Both cast very well. Your comment makes me want to use them all more than I have been.

I am also a big fan of the Alphas reels.

I didn't get back into fishing until 2009 (which was when I also decided to try baitcast reels) so I missed out on all the same reels you did. I am slowly picking up some knowledge of them, but nothing like a lot of the guys on here have.

runmax08
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax08 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 am

Great for light weight presentations. (1/2 ounces and under). But tdzs lack the power and torque to move big fish from heavy cover. Therefore the new Tatula SV TW might be the best reel for its price ever.....IMO.. They say the Tatula s crank better under a heavy load.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 am

runmax08 wrote:Great for light weight presentations. (1/2 ounces and under). But tdzs lack the power and torque to move big fish from heavy cover. Therefore the new Tatula SV TW might be the best reel for its price ever.....IMO.. They say the Tatula s crank better under a heavy load.
I routinely run 1-2oz on my TD-Z's punching heavy cover and have removed plenty of 5lb+ fish from cover with them. I also use TD-Z's for all my frog work and have yet to have an issue. The only failure is aftermarket dress up aluminum nuts stripping out. Went to non aluminum and have no more issues.
I like TD-Z's