Is 1/8th ounce considered bfs?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Is 1/8th ounce considered bfs?

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 pm

I don't want to get flamed for a video title. I built a rod at home depot and spent most of the time throwing little rapala ul minnows which weigh in at 1/8 oz.

Is that bfs :)

Had a blast too!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is 1/8th ounce considered bfs?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Red Pill...yeah

Blue pill...no

Depend on your frame of reference. I cast 1/32oz heads with tiny ice fishing plastics. I also LOVE casting those UL Rapala lures. I personally would say yes but, I also factor in the equipment used. If you have a lighter powered rod and a bait casting reel capable of casting the stuff then, yeah. If you are whipping the 1/8oz lure on a medium heavy rod that doesn't load and the bait is being whipped instead of casted, I wouldn't consider it BFS.

BFS is also a way to present lures as well. Just think ultra clear, overpressured lakes that require a super finesse presentation to get a bite.

Lastly, in the traditional and most functional sense, anglers in Japan use finesse baitcasting reels to be able to toss shakeyheads or finesse worms into brush or other situations with FC line with worrying about the memory/slinky effect of a "heavier" FC line. Like using 10lb Shooter, would be a headache pitching with a spinning reel but is fine on BFS. Baitcasting reels also are less affected by line twist/twist the line less.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:52 pm

I consider 1/8 oz total weight finesse for sure. Anything heavier not so much.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:52 am

I consider anything below 1/4oz as BFS, but only because that seems to be a common weight for a 3-4" plastic + hook. I think the only bass plastic that I could find that weighed 1/8 was a 4" pin worm and a fine wire 1/0 hook.

I am more interested in this Home Depot rod build.....

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:06 pm

1/8 and below is for my spinning rods :)

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:30 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I consider 1/8 oz total weight finesse for sure. Anything heavier not so much.
I'd agree 1/8oz is the upper fringe of BFS.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 am

Is BFS the equivalent of UL spinnfishing?
http://www.realsreels.com/Fishing/Water ... INNING.pdf
If so, I consider below 1/4 oz to be BFS. Obviously, a lot of what a BFS fisherman will be throwing will be “much” less than 1/4 oz.
Also, there is naturally some user skill involved, but I have difficulty throwing 3/16-1/4 oz lures without “frequent” issues with my older non-BFS reels so the limit is in that range IMO.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am

As has been said, it was hard to cast anything under 1/4 ounce with most of the average rods and reels in the early days of bass fishing. In the 80's, I struggled to cast 1/8 oz bullet weights with small (4 inches or less) handpours that were considered the early finesse softbaits of the day. I've always considered anything 3/16 oz or less as a finesse bait when it is being used on baitcasting tackle. I've never seen a rule book for what is considered BFS, but 1/8 oz is considered BFS to me. Your average bass fisherman of today still probably can't cast most baits less than 1/4 oz effectively with modern light-spooled finesse baitcasting setups.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:1/8 and below is for my spinning rods :)
I hear you. Most people aren't going to punish themselves by fishing baitcasting tackle with anything under 1/4 oz. I usually fish my spinning tackle for bottom contacts baits under 3/16 oz because it is easier to open your bail and not have to feather your spool when the bait goes down in deep water. But, I really don't like reeling any size reaction bait on spinning tackle. Therefore, I use my BFS casting setups for reaction baits quite often. I've been throwing the Keitech Swing Impact 2.8 with a 1/8 oz bullet weight and an 1/0 EWG hook with success in heavy cover over this last year or two. It is way more fun on casting tackle.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:50 pm

Punish? I don't know about that. With the right reel and rod it's an absolute blast casting lures under 1/4.

Back to the subject. The Concept of BFS originated as using baitcasters to cast lighter than average lures where's there's an advantage over spinning reels. Example pitching into tight quarters and into cover. The speed, accuracy, and efficiency of a baitcast beats a spinning reel in this category. With fishing in moderate cover running 10-14lb is beneficial but not ideal on a spinning reel.

There was never a weight limit to what BFS is. As time went by BFS was adopted by the trout guys and that's where it has evolved into pure open water fishing where people are pushing it down to 1/16 and plastic. So I think 1/8 is plenty BFS. A small jig with a small craw can get to 1/4 easily and to me that's not the easiest to pitch without the Right gears and BFS gears drastically improves it.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Bass1980 wrote:Punish? I don't know about that. With the right reel and rod it's an absolute blast casting lures under 1/4.

Back to the subject. The Concept of BFS originated as using baitcasters to cast lighter than average lures where's there's an advantage over spinning reels. Example pitching into tight quarters and into cover. The speed, accuracy, and efficiency of a baitcast beats a spinning reel in this category. With fishing in moderate cover running 10-14lb is beneficial but not ideal on a spinning reel.

There was never a weight limit to what BFS is. As time went by BFS was adopted by the trout guys and that's where it has evolved into pure open water fishing where people are pushing it down to 1/16 and plastic. So I think 1/8 is plenty BFS. A small jig with a small craw can get to 1/4 easily and to me that's not the easiest to pitch without the Right gears and BFS gears drastically improves it.
I've been a big fan of trout fishing with baitcasters....every since the presso and pixy.
But with everything else it seems a name is given to something :)

wasn't sure if that weight categorizeds as part of the bfs "denotation"

Mainly because I built a rod out of corner molding zip ties and electrical tape and had an absolute blast with it...until this past weekend when I found that inside corner molding looses it's flexability in the cold!!! lmao POW!!!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:36 am

Bass1980 wrote:Punish? I don't know about that. With the right reel and rod it's an absolute blast casting lures under 1/4.
I don't think that you read my entire post. You will see that I like and use BFS quite often. I agree that BFS is fun in my post. Casting lures under 1/4 oz. on casting tackle is difficult for a lot of people, which makes it punishment for them compared to a spinning rod. Most people are going to choose the easier option, which makes BFS that much more respectable. I've been fishing light lures on casting tackle for almost four decades. The new lighter spool reels make it a lot of fun, and much easier than when I started. But, you have to be an experienced angler to use BFS equipment effectively in difficult conditions. That is what I was suggesting when I used the word "punish".

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
I've been a big fan of trout fishing with baitcasters....every since the presso and pixy.
But with everything else it seems a name is given to something :)

wasn't sure if that weight categorizeds as part of the bfs "denotation"

Mainly because I built a rod out of corner molding zip ties and electrical tape and had an absolute blast with it...until this past weekend when I found that inside corner molding looses it's flexability in the cold!!! lmao POW!!!
There are a lot of light blanks at Mudhole and elsewhere that can be built on the cheap, and are good for trout. I've fished baitcasters for trout with 4 and 6 lb. line in the Eastern Sierras quite a bit over the years.