Real Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Real Question

Post by medicpelle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:14 am

Anyone else notice the lack of quality lower geared (5:3, 5:4) reels available? Seems like there are very few options on the market with the HS reel trend.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Real Question

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:39 am

Yes, it is a definite new trend. I wish I had picked up a 5.5 Zillion TWS when they were blow out cheap (like $125) because the had such a big wide spool the IPT was like 24" which is still fast enough for me to fish spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. On the other hand, reels are all so well built now, I feel like a slow speed is useless because a 6 speed is just as strong, durable, and torque capable. Pretty much now, a 6 speed is the new slow speed/reaction bait reel speed, and a 7 speed is the new all purpose. Anything higher than that is now considered "fast" and I am assuming whether it is beneficial or not, the companies are following suit.

It seems that the more expensive you go, the harder slower speed (under 6) reels are to find. Abu still offers a $200 5 gear and a $100 5 gear, Daiwa sells the Tatula CT (non type R) in a 5. Not sure about the others... Only expensive reel I saw on TW that was a 5 speed is a $600 Antares and I'm sure once that model is gone off the site it won't have a replacement in that speed.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 am

That's not going to change anytime soon. The reels that have low gear ratios are great for deep cranks, slow rolling big swimbaits, and a few other applications, but the majority of people want faster ratios for most applications. Of the twenty or so baitcasters that I own, only my DD crank reel (5.5) is lower than 6.3. I will even go with a faster ratio for deep cranking if I am point hopping and covering water quickly. I find that the 6.3 ratio reels give me the most comfortable rhythm with most moving baits when I'm not fishing in heavy winds.
Most people are buying the super high speed reels because they are so much more efficient for bottom contact baits. They are replacing their slower speed (6.3-7) reels that were used for bottom contact baits. This trend will probably start to even out in a few years because serious anglers that have many reels realize that they need reels with many different ratios.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Just another observation - your choices are even more limited if you're looking for a left hand retreive.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:42 pm

I love the wider spools and lower gear ratio for all my cranking with the occasional exception of square bills. I have four gen 1 winches that I'm needing to replace. They have held up pretty well through the years but they are about worn out. I seen the new gen 4's came out but I haven't heard much on them yet. Being a Diawa guy I like the old zillions, wish I had a few of those in the closet.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:40 pm

medicpelle wrote:I love the wider spools and lower gear ratio for all my cranking with the occasional exception of square bills. I have four gen 1 winches that I'm needing to replace. They have held up pretty well through the years but they are about worn out. I seen the new gen 4's came out but I haven't heard much on them yet. Being a Diawa guy I like the old zillions, wish I had a few of those in the closet.
You can still find used OG Zillions on ebay and elsewhere. You can buy any ratio and put in 4.9 gears from the Tackle Trap. One of my Daiwa staffer friends is buying up the 4.9 OG Zillions because he deep cranks a ton, and he still prefers them. I like the 5.5 ratio a little better.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm

toddmc wrote:
medicpelle wrote:I love the wider spools and lower gear ratio for all my cranking with the occasional exception of square bills. I have four gen 1 winches that I'm needing to replace. They have held up pretty well through the years but they are about worn out. I seen the new gen 4's came out but I haven't heard much on them yet. Being a Diawa guy I like the old zillions, wish I had a few of those in the closet.
You can still find used OG Zillions on ebay and elsewhere. You can buy any ratio and put in 4.9 gears from the Tackle Trap. One of my Daiwa staffer friends is buying up the 4.9 OG Zillions because he deep cranks a ton, and he still prefers them. I like the 5.5 ratio a little better.
Wonder what the IPT was on the 4.9 Zillions... my gen 3 revo winch (sold) recovered like 22 inches and it was just too slow...

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Good idea about swapping the gears out, kinda forgot about doing that. I prefer 5:1/5:3 myself. I have tried the 4: on mag cranks but didn't like it as much as the 5's. It just amazes me the lack of new options.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Yes, it is a definite new trend. I wish I had picked up a 5.5 Zillion TWS when they were blow out cheap (like $125) because the had such a big wide spool the IPT was like 24" which is still fast enough for me to fish spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. On the other hand, reels are all so well built now, I feel like a slow speed is useless because a 6 speed is just as strong, durable, and torque capable. Pretty much now, a 6 speed is the new slow speed/reaction bait reel speed, and a 7 speed is the new all purpose. Anything higher than that is now considered "fast" and I am assuming whether it is beneficial or not, the companies are following suit.

It seems that the more expensive you go, the harder slower speed (under 6) reels are to find. Abu still offers a $200 5 gear and a $100 5 gear, Daiwa sells the Tatula CT (non type R) in a 5. Not sure about the others... Only expensive reel I saw on TW that was a 5 speed is a $600 Antares and I'm sure once that model is gone off the site it won't have a replacement in that speed.
Check this out:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_JD ... e-JDF.html

I have only had the 9.1 JDM Zillion TWS. Still solid as ever and smooth. At 180, it's a steal. The spool in the JDM is better than the USDM (idk how much).
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 am

ccass wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Yes, it is a definite new trend. I wish I had picked up a 5.5 Zillion TWS when they were blow out cheap (like $125) because the had such a big wide spool the IPT was like 24" which is still fast enough for me to fish spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. On the other hand, reels are all so well built now, I feel like a slow speed is useless because a 6 speed is just as strong, durable, and torque capable. Pretty much now, a 6 speed is the new slow speed/reaction bait reel speed, and a 7 speed is the new all purpose. Anything higher than that is now considered "fast" and I am assuming whether it is beneficial or not, the companies are following suit.

Check this out:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_JD ... e-JDF.html

I have only had the 9.1 JDM Zillion TWS. Still solid as ever and smooth. At 180, it's a steal. The spool in the JDM is better than the USDM (idk how much).
Black Friday coming up, get 15% additional off(subject to change). But they may be sold out if you wait, check inventory often.