Quantum Vapor with brass main gear

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Quantum Vapor with brass main gear

Post by mark poulson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:39 am

Has anyone here tried this reel yet:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Quantum_ ... e-VAP.html

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Quantum Vapor with brass main gear

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:35 am

The guy I sold my old Abu rods to had one. He loved it and swore by it. Strange to me because I have never used a Quantum, but it doesn't have the Daiwa/Shimano feel or the Abu/Lew's... Just kind of their own feel regardless of who makes them. I couldn't personally pay $150 for something without it being upgraded to a Tatula CT-R or Curado K. I would also take a regular Tatula over one, but the spool on that Vapor looks fairly light, and the guy I knew who owned one loved it. He was EXTREMELY rough on gear and left reels/rods outside even, and swore (still does) that his Quantum's are great. This guy used it with 50lb braid and for jigs at LEAST 3/8 but normally 1/2+.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 am

DirtyD64 wrote:The guy I sold my old Abu rods to had one. He loved it and swore by it. Strange to me because I have never used a Quantum, but it doesn't have the Daiwa/Shimano feel or the Abu/Lew's... Just kind of their own feel regardless of who makes them. I couldn't personally pay $150 for something without it being upgraded to a Tatula CT-R or Curado K. I would also take a regular Tatula over one, but the spool on that Vapor looks fairly light, and the guy I knew who owned one loved it. He was EXTREMELY rough on gear and left reels/rods outside even, and swore (still does) that his Quantum's are great. This guy used it with 50lb braid and for jigs at LEAST 3/8 but normally 1/2+.
I've fished Quantum reels for years. Their older E600 reels are bullet proof.
The original Smoke burner is my go to reel. I love the externally adjustable centrifugal brakes.
I was intrigued because , according to Tacklewarehouse, the Vapor has a brass main gear, a 90mm handle, still only weighs 6.7 oz, and has 11 bearings. It also appears to have externally adjustable brakes, although the verbiage says internally adjustable centrifugal brakes.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 pm

Mark, did you try the Vapor?
I am considering it for light inshore / brackish water duties as I dislike bringing my best reels to the salt and the Vapor sounds/looks good.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:02 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Mark, did you try the Vapor?
I am considering it for light inshore / brackish water duties as I dislike bringing my best reels to the salt and the Vapor sounds/looks good.
No, I didn't try one. I wound up buying (3) left handed Quantum Icon reels for punching for $60 each, nib, in the 7:1 gear ratios. I haven't had a chance to use them yet (too cold, wet, and windy) but they feel good when I try them in the garage.
I just spooled the last two up with 80 lb braid, and I'm champing at the bit!
The water here went up to 54, and then dropped back down to 49. It's hovering around 51 now, but we're in for more high 30's nights, with rain and wind, so we'll have this cold, muddy water for a while longer.
Grrr!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 am

I just recently purchased one off ebay. Should be here this week, and Im planning on giving it some use this weekend. From all that Ive read about them, they seem to be a good deal, especially at $75.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:17 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:I just recently purchased one off ebay. Should be here this week, and Im planning on giving it some use this weekend. From all that Ive read about them, they seem to be a good deal, especially at $75.
Please let us know how it performs for you. At $75, I'd buy them all day.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:23 am

I ended up buying a few Vapor and Energy reels - Ebay auctions, so I got them cheap-ish at approx. 55-60 USD each but will end up paying closer to 90 a piece with shipping and tax. Still, seems a good price and I look forward to using them for inshore and kayak fishing. Very few reviews out there considering how long they have been on the market.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:50 am

Opened up my Vapor this morning to see something. Most sites saying the main gear is brass, some saying aluminum. Its aluminum. On a good note, the pinion is dual bearing supported.
<")))><{

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Opened up my Vapor this morning to see something. Most sites saying the main gear is brass, some saying aluminum. Its aluminum. On a good note, the pinion is dual bearing supported.
Thank you for the information - then I won’t have to open mine.
I look forward to recieving my reels and trying them out. I hope spool weight is similar to or lower than the most recently TT-reviewed quantum energy (16 gram).

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:26 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:Opened up my Vapor this morning to see something. Most sites saying the main gear is brass, some saying aluminum. Its aluminum. On a good note, the pinion is dual bearing supported.
Well, that is disappointing. I had hoped it was brass, so I had a lighter weight alternative reel.

The main gear on the Icon is brass, but it is heavier than the advertised 6.9 oz. I know this because I did open the three I bought to lube them before I started using them for punching.
The Icon's 7:1 main gear fits in my 7:1 Smoke Burner reels, so I ordered new main gears for them, to replace the aluminum gears
They fit like a dream, work with the Smoke's brass pinion gears, and my reels feel much smoother on the retrieve.
I did order some spacer washers, the ones that sit between the drag start and the shaft bearing on top of the AR bearing, because the brass gear was a tad thinner than the aluminum, and I wanted to be sure the brakes worked right. The washers were just the right thickness, and the brakes work fine.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 am

I recieved my Quantum Vapors today and I have a really good first impression. The reel looks good and spool weight is low (13gr including brake unit and bearing) - I will use the reel for some inshore fishing in the coming weekend and hope that the good impression lasts.
Attachments
3A6C5B7F-6197-4089-A307-7F80E82757C0.jpeg
3A6C5B7F-6197-4089-A307-7F80E82757C0.jpeg (198.57 KiB) Viewed 6828 times

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Dalleinf wrote:I recieved my Quantum Vapors today and I have a really good first impression. The reel looks good and spool weight is low (13gr including brake unit and bearing) - I will use the reel for some inshore fishing in the coming weekend and hope that the good impression lasts.
Thanks for the report. Let us know how your fishing goes this weekend.