Abu is complete garbage compared to Daiwa and Shimano

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Abu is complete garbage compared to Daiwa and Shimano

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:21 pm

Now that i have your full attention, how do you feel about Abu reels compared to MB, Daiwa and Shimano? I'm kinda new when it comes to using high end Abu's, and in my opinion, they feel extremely cheap compared to the other three. How can a $300 LTZ be more wobbly, have poor tolerances, crappy paint compared to a sub $150 Tatula?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Abu is complete garbage compared to Daiwa and Shimano

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:11 pm

They're not complete garbage.
But their pricing is rediculous.
No clue why anyone would pay anywhere close tomsrp for anything they offer.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:29 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:They're not complete garbage.
Exactly what i'm thinking. This is especially true when there's so many more option from Daiwa and Shimano.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:24 pm

They can usually be found for around 1/3 off BNIB. I used a Revo Rocket for a while. I thought it was a decent reel. I prefer Daiwa but, I wouldn't say Abu is junk.

I always wanted to try a JDM Abu.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09 am

I have several ABU's, over the years they have been solid performers. Put Air HD brgs. in them and they cast well.
I admit I like my Daiwa reels better but the ABUs' are not "garbage".

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blauwe Lori » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 am

The Abu from Sweden was Good
Now it is cheapy made
Except the Morrums

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:31 am

They're alright. The low profile reels are OEM sourced from Doyo. Many brands reel's are Doyo but the Abu Doyos are my favorite. I like the tuning parts for the JDM reels and some of the Doyo platforms they have chosen are pretty good. I have a gen 3 Elite IB7 that I like. Clicking drag, all aluminum body construction and is butter smooth. The low price of the reels in used condition and the abundance of tuning parts make tinkering around with one fun. That's why I bought mine. In hindsight I should have bought an Abu from bass.co.jp used reel section. They have a bunch of tuned up JDM Abu low pros for good prices.

http://www.bass.co.jp/index.php?m=feature&pageid=81

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Maybe will more correct to say "Abu low profile made in china -is bad compare to D and S" ,then put to all ABU ? [-X
How about classic 2500 ,for example? On really bad weather condition all Daiwa and Shimano(maybe except DC) step back ,and this small buddy cast like nothing to do!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:25 pm

fffishing wrote:Maybe will more correct to say "Abu low profile made in china -is bad compare to D and S" ,then put to all ABU ? [-X
How about classic 2500 ,for example? On really bad weather condition all Daiwa and Shimano(maybe except DC) step back ,and this small buddy cast like nothing to do!
Most of them aren't even made in China but Korea, and they feel pretty darn cheap.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 pm

SSS wrote:
fffishing wrote:Maybe will more correct to say "Abu low profile made in china -is bad compare to D and S" ,then put to all ABU ? [-X
Most of them aren't even made in China but Korea, and they feel pretty darn cheap.
That's what I mean :)

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:01 pm

ccass wrote:
They can usually be found for around 1/3 off BNIB. I used a Revo Rocket for a while. I thought it was a decent reel. I prefer Daiwa but, I wouldn't say Abu is junk.

I always wanted to try a JDM Abu.
That's also a problem. For dealers. When amazon sells the Mgxtreme2 for 100$ less than the standard version...and the wholesale costs are still the same...they can't move $$$ inventory.

Not really an issue as there will not be many brick and mortar stores other than bps and dicks in the next few years anyway :(

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Gen 2 premieres were great. That’s all I can say
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 am

The new Gen4 reels are actually very nice. That being said, I wouldnt spend more than $200 on one as the return is not worth it. You can have all you need in the X, SX, and ALX reels when you look for the good prices.
<")))><{

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:59 am

In the earlier 80's nearly every reel in my bass club was an Abu Ambassador. No more.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:21 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:The new Gen4 reels are actually very nice. That being said, I wouldnt spend more than $200 on one as the return is not worth it. You can have all you need in the X, SX, and ALX reels when you look for the good prices.
I want to try them, hard to justify though. We run 2 new ABU Revo spinning reels, an STX20 and a Premier30, love them. They both just aren't like my Stradic Ci4+ FA though. I really wish I had gotten the newer Ci4+ FB, but ABU has really treated me right with customer service. The Premier 30 handles my wife's fishing well, on a MH spinning rod, but my little STX20 has really, really been worked over hard. It is still smooth and nice, but you can just tell a big smallmouth puts the hurt on it during a fight. If either of those ABU's go out though, we'll be replacing with something sturdier from Shimano or maybe Daiwa...