SVS braking issue

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

SVS braking issue

Post by dustlane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 pm

I just got a new Curado K. I love the reel except for one very important part. The brakes. I just can’t get used to them. I’ve been using Quantum’s ACS system and it works great. But I like to use different reels and I really want to keep this Curado but I just don’t know if I can ever get used to the braking system. With the ACS system I can physically see where the dial is adjusted. That way I know from one day to he next and from one bait to the next what setting the reel is on. With the Curado I can’t tell until I make a cast. I just can’t get comfortable. Anybody else been in my spot and got used to the brakes? I’m really close to returning the Curado and getting a Quantum Vapor or Smoke. Any tips?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SVS braking issue

Post by rockchalk06 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:29 am

Why can't you see where the dial is? Turn the reel over and look at your dial. It doesn't change from cast to cast unless you move it or it's come loose. Set the tabs to 2 on and 2 off. Dial to max and work it down.

If you cannot remember that setting from day to day, I don't know what to tell you.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 am

The majority of my fishing is either super early morning or at night. Therefore visually it’s tough to know where the dial is. And there are no nibs or anything so I can feel it. I realize that the majority of my issue is pure habit from my Quantums and my Lew’s BB1 Pros and Team Lew’s but I really want to give the Curado a fair shake. I’ll give it a little more time and try your recommendations and hope for the best. I do miss the standard VBS system. I would set those and never touch them again. Thanks for the input

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:42 am

dustlane wrote:The majority of my fishing is either super early morning or at night. Therefore visually it’s tough to know where the dial is. And there are no nibs or anything so I can feel it. I realize that the majority of my issue is pure habit from my Quantums and my Lew’s BB1 Pros and Team Lew’s but I really want to give the Curado a fair shake. I’ll give it a little more time and try your recommendations and hope for the best. I do miss the standard VBS system. I would set those and never touch them again. Thanks for the input
That was my complaint as well. That's why currently I have only D's, E's and Daiwa's in my lineup. I put my Shimano VBS to 3 on and 3 off and leave it be unless I have fluorocarbon and it's windy then I will go 4 on 2 off.

You could essentially do the same with the the newer system. Just do 2 or 3 on and set the dial to 3 and forget it's there. That's what I did with my 2 Met 16's, CU200k, CHMGL and CU70's. I ended up selling or trading them all off in the end though.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:04 am

As much as I like the Curado I’m afraid that’s what I’m gonna end up doing. I’m gonna give it another shot though. Awfully nice reel otherwise.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:40 pm

dustlane wrote:The majority of my fishing is either super early morning or at night. Therefore visually it’s tough to know where the dial is. And there are no nibs or anything so I can feel it. I realize that the majority of my issue is pure habit from my Quantums and my Lew’s BB1 Pros and Team Lew’s but I really want to give the Curado a fair shake. I’ll give it a little more time and try your recommendations and hope for the best. I do miss the standard VBS system. I would set those and never touch them again. Thanks for the input
Yep, VBS to me was the best centrifugal braking system to date.

Lets try something new. ](*,)
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:07 pm

I initially set my Chronarch MGL brakes by vision, but now just move up and down without ever really checking the numbers. Maybe the lighter spooled SVS reels are more forgiving, haven't tried the new Curado. I have owned a BB1PRO though so I do get the benefit you speak of, but rarely did I change lures so much or so drastically that it took much adjustment though.

Good luck though, I keep a cheap Walmart headlamp around my neck for low light situations and finding things in the dark.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:23 pm

I have a light as well. It’s a God send. However, my eyesight is another issue. I need all the help I can get. Ha

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 am

I really like SVS. I don't like the difficult nature of knowing what setting the dial is on or how crummy the dial itself is (shimano wtf) but I like the ability to choose which brakes are on internally and then setting the dial to whatever I want when I want based on conditions and baits. I would prefer if it was more easily operated when the reel is palmed, clicked and had easy to read markings. I would also prefer a metal dial or at least a nice plastic dial like the Daiwa reels.