Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 am
Location: Megabass, Daiwa

Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby M Perry » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Feedback/opinions on this reel? I read the TT review on it a whole back. Have had one for a while I finally opened up and paired with a Megabass US Destroyer Onager to use as my big bait setup. Been a Daiwa guy for many years but rarely venture into the Daiwa JDM side.
So far I love the combo but curious why so little feedback out there on the Shrapnel.

Real Pudd legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby Real Pudd legend » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:41 pm

My buddy has one and he was throwing swimbaits for stripers at the river . That thing is one bad boy, super smooth and it's absolutely launches. It's like a pluton on steroids. Cranking power is tremendous , I feel it to be one of the best round reels out there !

User avatar
GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:11 pm

I've been wondering the same actually. I'll pose a theory; there is nothing wrong with it, modification options are limited, and most don't throw baits worthy. Outside that, I've no idea. It's not for everyone, that much is clear. Thing is a beast...
PEACE

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:30 am

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby Mike and Pike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:47 pm

IPT was what kept me from grabbing one for muskie.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:30 am

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby Mike and Pike » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:IPT was what kept me from grabbing one for muskie. Seems like a bad pick up rate for a reel that size in the era of hyper fast ratios.

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby freelancer27 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 am

I think for bass fishing it is a bit overkill. Especially if you can get the nicer Conquest for less money...

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 am
Location: Megabass, Daiwa

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby M Perry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:29 pm

freelancer27 wrote:I think for bass fishing it is a bit overkill. Especially if you can get the nicer Conquest for less money...


There are some great deals on the Shrapnel out there. Can he had quite a bit cheaper than you think. Some are in the 50% off range.

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby freelancer27 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 pm

M Perry wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:I think for bass fishing it is a bit overkill. Especially if you can get the nicer Conquest for less money...


There are some great deals on the Shrapnel out there. Can he had quite a bit cheaper than you think. Some are in the 50% off range.


I think a Shrapnel becomes interesting if it is like 100 USD cheaper than a comparable Conquest. Just my 2 cents.

Where are you seeing these deals btw?

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 am
Location: Megabass, Daiwa

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby M Perry » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
M Perry wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:I think for bass fishing it is a bit overkill. Especially if you can get the nicer Conquest for less money...


There are some great deals on the Shrapnel out there. Can he had quite a bit cheaper than you think. Some are in the 50% off range.


I think a Shrapnel becomes interesting if it is like 100 USD cheaper than a comparable Conquest. Just my 2 cents.

Where are you seeing these deals btw?



$399.97 at Tackle Warehouse. Cheaper than that if you buy during a TW sale.

User avatar
Blauwe Lori
Angler
Angler
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Daiwa Ryoga Shrapnel

Postby Blauwe Lori » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 am

I m NOT very satisfied about the reel
The reel is strong. No doubt
But IT wind the line NOT very Nice on the spool
I expect more from such a expensive reel
I fish more fun With the ryoga 2020L


Return to “Reels”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Keepinitreelfishing, RIng and 11 guests