Which BFS reel: Conquest vs Aldebaran vs SV103 (with BFS spool)

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Which BFS reel: Conquest vs Aldebaran vs SV103 (with BFS spool)

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I am about to pull the trigger on a BFS set up (assuming I can sell my Metanium).

As the rod I will most likely go with: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Major-Craft-BEN ... SwmLlX2Qtc

I am wondering which reel to pair it with:

Options that i am considering:

* Aldebaran BFS (light and compact, price is ok)
* Calcutta Conquest BFS (incredible machinery and robust, salt water safe, price is of course something to swallow)
* SV103 (that I have) with a BFS Spool -RCS BAITCASTING SV SPOOL 1012 SV G1 (probably the best bang for the buck. I just want to avoid spending a good amount of money on BFS and then have to update the reel eventually, given that the I could not fully leverage the potential here).

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which BFS reel: Conquest vs Aldebaran vs SV103 (with BFS spool)

Post by mrpao » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 pm

I would go with the aldebaran because it's so much lighter than the other two.
Personally, I feel a BFS reel should be a light reel to help feel lighter baits better.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 pm

I am assuming the Aldebaran is the XG??? Personally I would pick it for the speed. The Conquest BFS is a very interesting reel though.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Conquest50S is my vote. Conquest50 reels are absolutely amazing reels.
<")))><{

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 pm

I thought you were trying to keep the price down. Why not a Scorpion BFS which is $100 cheaper than the Aldebarian BFS?
Or a SV 105 or Alphas Air?
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 pm

spencerinstl wrote:I thought you were trying to keep the price down. Why not a Scorpion BFS which is $100 cheaper than the Aldebarian BFS?
Yeah, I know. But you know how it is. Once you put a bit of research into the topic and watch a couple of videos, G.A.S. quickly starts to increase.

I looked at the Scorpion a bit more and I just do not like the quality of the build. The Conquest of course is all mighty, wondering how the Aldebaran holds up though.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Don't put a conquest on a Benkei. Save it for when you put together a classy trout rig. You don't know it yet but you'll end up with more than one BFS rig. Seems to be how this works.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:51 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:I thought you were trying to keep the price down. Why not a Scorpion BFS which is $100 cheaper than the Aldebarian BFS?
Yeah, I know. But you know how it is. Once you put a bit of research into the topic and watch a couple of videos, G.A.S. quickly starts to increase.

I looked at the Scorpion a bit more and I just do not like the quality of the build. The Conquest of course is all mighty, wondering how the Aldebaran holds up though.
The Aldebaran BFS does look like a sweet reel. What are the gears made of?
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Interesting this guy here seems to be able to use a regular Conquest 100 for BFS fishing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbM5zxzBJKo

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:11 am

freelancer27 wrote:Interesting this guy here seems to be able to use a regular Conquest 100 for BFS fishing...

I also use the Conquest 101HG for BFS but again you need an aftermarket spool... I have the Avail 1024. It works well but I think you have better options in the reels already mentioned.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:33 am

freelancer27 wrote:Interesting this guy here seems to be able to use a regular Conquest 100 for BFS fishing...

One of my friends has one and he can cast light cranks and smallish jigs. I was surprised by its ability. Not quite a BFS reel but, a surprisingly versatile caster.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nikbrewer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:27 am

What dont you like about the scorpion? SInce it is basically a curado 70, and i have several i love, just wondering what the issue is.

I have a SV105 and love it. Cast 1/8" swim baits all day. Also have a basic tatula ct with a rays spool, and it cast slightly farther than the sv105 some days. Also, the stock curado 70 has worked well with small baits.

All the reels you listed are very nice, but don't think those are the only reels that will get the job done. With the right rod, and some practice, you can throw pretty light baits with most reels.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:05 am

nikbrewer wrote:What dont you like about the scorpion? SInce it is basically a curado 70, and i have several i love, just wondering what the issue is.

I have a SV105 and love it. Cast 1/8" swim baits all day. Also have a basic tatula ct with a rays spool, and it cast slightly farther than the sv105 some days. Also, the stock curado 70 has worked well with small baits.

All the reels you listed are very nice, but don't think those are the only reels that will get the job done. With the right rod, and some practice, you can throw pretty light baits with most reels.
I am just not a fan of the coating of the silver Shimano reels. They scratch too easily for me.

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
nikbrewer wrote:What dont you like about the scorpion? SInce it is basically a curado 70, and i have several i love, just wondering what the issue is.

I am just not a fan of the coating of the silver Shimano reels. They scratch too easily for me.
If you're switching because of the finish on your MGL then I understand. Otherwise, I'd actually consider the reel you already have. I have all the reels you listed except for the conquest. The Aldebaran is my favorite for ultralight applications, and it's a great real all together. However, unless you're throwing things like a 3" weightless senko on a regular basis, the MGL is more than sufficient. Even then it's serviceable.

Guess what I'm trying to say is for strictly BFS get the Aldebaran. Think twice about selling the MGL though. You'll probably regret it later. Best reel I've used for almost any regular application.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:09 pm

bassbassontherange wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:

If you're switching because of the finish on your MGL then I understand. Otherwise, I'd actually consider the reel you already have. I have all the reels you listed except for the conquest. The Aldebaran is my favorite for ultralight applications, and it's a great real all together. However, unless you're throwing things like a 3" weightless senko on a regular basis, the MGL is more than sufficient. Even then it's serviceable.

Guess what I'm trying to say is for strictly BFS get the Aldebaran. Think twice about selling the MGL though. You'll probably regret it later. Best reel I've used for almost any regular application.
Thanks for this response! Yeah, I am little bit on the fence if I should sell the Metanium to finance a BFS set up.

Maybe a BFS spool for the SV103 or event the Metanium is a better choice...