Alphas Finesse Custom

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Alphas Finesse Custom

Post by hotdogin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am

Just curious as to what modifications can be done to this reel such as spools, handles, etc.?
just hotdogin it

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas Finesse Custom

Post by LowRange » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Look at the ray's studio DIY parts if you want cheap color and carbon parts. They also have finesse spools that are very nice.

https://m.aliexpress.com/store/storeHom ... =205955473#/

Basszone also has some nice handles on ebay that are a close match for the Daiwa carbon handles.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Here is a few things that you can add to an Alphas Finesse Custom.
Cosugi Works Spool
Daiwa Steez Limited SV TN handle with Bass or Die Knobs
Alphas/Sol Clicking Star Conversion Kit
Daiwa Pixy/PXR Clicker Drag Conversion Kit
Daiwa SLPW colored drag star
alphas super finesse 2.jpg
alphas super finesse 2.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 8277 times
alphas super finesse 3.jpg
alphas super finesse 3.jpg (96.74 KiB) Viewed 8277 times
alphas super finesse.jpg
alphas super finesse.jpg (99.31 KiB) Viewed 8277 times
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Damn! That's impressive! Can the an SV spool fit in it?
spencerinstl wrote:Here is a few things that you can add to an Alphas Finesse Custom.
Cosugi Works Spool
Daiwa Steez Limited SV TN handle with Bass or Die Knobs
Alphas/Sol Clicking Star Conversion Kit
Daiwa Pixy/PXR Clicker Drag Conversion Kit
Daiwa SLPW colored drag star

alphas super finesse 2.jpg
alphas super finesse 3.jpg
alphas super finesse.jpg
just hotdogin it

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:11 pm

Yes.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 am

That is a very nice looking reel. I have a Finesse Custom and I like it a lot, the stock spool is a little wild but it will throw light lures as well or better than my stock PX68. I keep thinking about dressing mine up, but I am growing to like the ugly little thing the way it is.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:12 am

Houndfish wrote:That is a very nice looking reel. I have a Finesse Custom and I like it a lot, the stock spool is a little wild but it will throw light lures as well or better than my stock PX68. I keep thinking about dressing mine up, but I am growing to like the ugly little thing the way it is.
Stock, the alphas finesse is a nice reel. You start adding parts, it can get expensive fast.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 pm

I had to slap my hand away from the mouse the other day to avoid buying a really nice on off of ebay. So far I just stuck a DIY spool in mine to tame it down a little bit and upgraded the bearings. I might find some raw cork knobs for it and call it done.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 am

https://ibb.co/e6bPg5
https://ibb.co/kGW1Tk

This is my Alphas Finesse Custom. My favourite reel for trout fishing. It throws 1,9grs Minnows (I have no lighter baits) estimated 20m without probs.

The upgrades are:

- 90mm carbon handle
- cork knobs
- DIY spool
- HH Air BFS spool bearings
- two bearings under each knob
- one levelwind bearing
- handleside plate srews from HH

I actually prefere this reel over my Alphas Air. Both are great but think the Finesse Custom throws a little further while the Air provides a little more control.

Josh

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:04 am

:-k Idon´t know why the pics are not embeded :-k
Looks like you have to click the link :(

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:25 am

Did you click on Img or Url. It will post as an Image if you click on Img.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:29 am

clicked url first. Now I tried img but doesn´t seem to work :(

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am

I like the look of the cork knobs on yours! The longer straight handle is pretty nice as well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Josh-G wrote:https://ibb.co/e6bPg5
https://ibb.co/kGW1Tk

This is my Alphas Finesse Custom. My favourite reel for trout fishing. It throws 1,9grs Minnows (I have no lighter baits) estimated 20m without probs.

The upgrades are:

- 90mm carbon handle
- cork knobs
- DIY spool
- HH Air BFS spool bearings
- two bearings under each knob
- one levelwind bearing
- handleside plate srews from HH

I actually prefere this reel over my Alphas Air. Both are great but think the Finesse Custom throws a little further while the Air provides a little more control.

Josh
If you could elaborate further on the braking profile and casting weight range of the DIY spool for Alphas and Alphas Air spool I would love to hear it. Thank you.

Josh-G
Angler
Angler

Post by Josh-G » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:44 am

LowRange wrote: If you could elaborate further on the braking profile and casting weight range of the DIY spool for Alphas and Alphas Air spool I would love to hear it. Thank you.

That´s not that easy because I didn´t test the whole weight range of both reels. I fish them both true UL on trouts with true UL rods. Max lureweight is 5grs. and min. a 1,9grs. minnow. And both reels shine with those weights. The Air has a japanese #0.2 PE line and the Finesse Custom with DIY spool has japanese 6lb fluoro line. Maybe it´s the line that makes me feel that there is a difference between those two reels, maybe it´s the spool. I don´t know. The Air with PE provides unbelievable control. With the right setting there won´t be a birdsnest even if you cast 2grs. all day long. I recommended this reel to a friend who never fished a baitcaster before and within one day of training he was familiar throwing baits around 3grs. I think that´s pretty amazing for someone without a trained thumb.
The DIY with fluoro is a little more tricky and wild. But if you find the right setting the baits just fly till the horizon. Significantly further than with the Air. But where I fish distance doesen´t matter. With both reels I have to stop the bait with my thumb.
The lighter the bait the greater is the advantage of the DIY. But honestly I think it´s because of the line. Fluoro has tendency to jump of the spool while the thin PE has tendency to stick. So 2grs. on the DIY just fly away. The Air performs great with 2grs. too, but doesn´t get the same distance but is pretty bullet proof.
Like I said earlier 1,9grs. is my limit till now. But that´s the limit of my rod not of the reel. I have a new Matagi blank 0,5-2,5grs. here that waits to be build. And I´m sure in combination with the Finesse Custom with DIY spool I can go significantly lower than 1,9grs.
So I definetely recommend the DIY spool to anyone who want´s to go true UL. I had the Air first and than purchased the DIY for the Finesse. After the first session with the DIY the Air became redundant.

Best Regards