Curado K vs Curado 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Walleyehawger
Angler
Angler

Curado K vs Curado 70

Post by Walleyehawger » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 am

I am looking to grab a couple more reels. I currently have a couple cu70's and am happy with them. I have yet to see the new K in person. Is there much difference between the two? The K is $50 cheaper and it has me intrigued lol.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado K vs Curado 70

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:41 am

Walleyehawger wrote:I am looking to grab a couple more reels. I currently have a couple cu70's and am happy with them. I have yet to see the new K in person. Is there much difference between the two? The K is $50 cheaper and it has me intrigued lol.
The K is pretty small. I haven't fished one yet, and have only TRIED a 70 a few times. From owner (in person, not just online) reports, the K is a pretty solid reel. I think the 70 will edge out in lighter lures, even though the spools weigh almost the same, the lower capacity gives the 70 a lighter weight spool when full of line. The 70 doesn't feature a second bearing on the main shaft, the K does. The Curado K has 2 main shaft bearings, a roller (anti-reverse) bearing, 2 pinion, and 2 spool bearings... These are all CRITICAL bearing points and Shimano didn't seem to miss any. As a Daiwa fan ($250-$300 range), I keep wanting to try the Chronarch MGL, but after initial Curado K reports, I'm thinking about trying it instead on a MH-H rod and skipping the MGL for now.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:35 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Walleyehawger wrote:I am looking to grab a couple more reels. I currently have a couple cu70's and am happy with them. I have yet to see the new K in person. Is there much difference between the two? The K is $50 cheaper and it has me intrigued lol.
The K is pretty small. I haven't fished one yet, and have only TRIED a 70 a few times. From owner (in person, not just online) reports, the K is a pretty solid reel. I think the 70 will edge out in lighter lures, even though the spools weigh almost the same, the lower capacity gives the 70 a lighter weight spool when full of line. The 70 doesn't feature a second bearing on the main shaft, the K does. The Curado K has 2 main shaft bearings, a roller (anti-reverse) bearing, 2 pinion, and 2 spool bearings... These are all CRITICAL bearing points and Shimano didn't seem to miss any. As a Daiwa fan ($250-$300 range), I keep wanting to try the Chronarch MGL, but after initial Curado K reports, I'm thinking about trying it instead on a MH-H rod and skipping the MGL for now.

This^

I have the K XG now. It's really small compared to even the previous 200i. Not as small as the 70 but close. I've owned the 70 Curado and Scorpion. They were much better for light baits than the K. I spooled my K originally up with 10# Senshi. It holds ALOT OF 10# line. I've had some trouble with super light baits on it. Weightless plastics like 7" worms or non senko type baits gave me some trouble. Added. 1/4 oz weight and no problems. 4-5" senkos no problem either. I suppose a guy could back the spool with braid and then spool on light line and possibly get better results, but then I'd just rather have a smaller sized reel anyway.

I'm currently loving mine!

grkbass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by grkbass » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I have both a 70 and a Chronarch MGL, but am also looking at picking up a Curado K. I would use the K for my new jig reel. I'm very curious to hear from people who have experience with the K or have both the 70 and the K.

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:18 pm

I have had a 70 and the Chronarch MGL for awhile now, and just picked up a k. Had it on the water once throwing a 1/3 oz spinnerbait. It's a nice workhorse reel. Based on initial impressions I think it's the best performing 200 sized Curado to date. That being said, I believe it's going to be best for 1/4 oz and up, like others have said. I like the ergonomics quite a bit, but I still prefer a smaller reel.

From a versatility standpoint, a Met or Chronarch MGL is the way to go. They excel at light or more substantial baits, and if refinement is your thing, they're definitely a little lighter and sleeker. Of course, you're looking at $100-$200 more depending on where you buy.

I think vs the Curado 70, guys that like a beefy reel will prefer the k, guys like myself that want something smaller and lighter will like the 70. I'm keeping mine and may even add another in a faster ratio down the road but they'll be for heavier applications like larger moving baits or frogging. For flipping jigs or plastics or anything you're making more and shorter casts, I'm going to stick to smaller reels. Depending on your budget an MGL may be worth it over the life of the reel.

Walleyehawger
Angler
Angler

Post by Walleyehawger » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. I may actually be leaning towards something differ t for the next one now. I need a reel to put on my Zodias 7'6" cranking stick now lol.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:59 am

I think, if you looking for reel for ML/M rod - you need 70s. If you liikong for reel for MH/H rod - you need K.