Help me pick a big spinning reel.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help me pick a big spinning reel.

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm

I've asked about them on this forum before, and now I'm going to buy one. Looking to pick up a 4000 size shimano spinning reel. They always look huge to me, but the only way I'll ever know how I feel about one is to use it. I am open to any suggestions concerning models, budget is from $80-$200. I'm not afraid to look for used or past models either, as I do all my own reel maintenance. I'm looking for this reel to throw 6" paddle tail swimbaits on relatively light heads(1/4oz). I'd normally use casting equipment, but night fishing, and sometimes freezing temps lend themselves to spinning equipment. I'll probably also try this reel with braided line for dock fishing with soft plastics. Any suggestions on this topic concerning good lines to use, rods to pair with, any good deals going right now please let me know. I look forward to trying it and reporting back with my results.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help me pick a big spinning reel.

Post by timsford » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:35 pm

I have a friend that uses only spinning tackle and he used a previous generation sahara 4000 on a 7ft compre med xfast. I've used it a few trips just to try it and the 4000 is just too big for my comfort for chucking all day. I normally use 2000 size daiwas on my ml rods and 3000 size on my medium and mh rods and his 4000 is both too heavy for my liking(even though his Sahara is composite or graphite framed), and too big physically to make a comfortable one handed skip or roll cast and to work the bail and handle the way I prefer. That's all personal though so I'd definitely try one on my rod in a store first. He gets a pretty long cast but I was coming within a foot or two with both of us using the same topwater, even though my rod was 9" shorter and I was using 10 lb trilene xl vs his 12 lb. I could way out distance him with my old citica d and 12lb hybrid on a 7'2" med powered rod. The bait was a little easier to cast since it was more compact but it weighed the same as the baits we were using to compare spinning rods. Personally my favorite newer reel as far as price 's performance would be the daiwa procyon. It has an aluminum frame and is a quality reel that will last and hold up awhile. If you haven't ever fished one a whisker as 1300 or 1600 would also be a great choice. They still outcast or equal any other reel I've personally used and they last forever. They aren't as smooth or pretty as newer reels around that price though. The bg is another newer reel with an aluminum frame that should take some abuse and last. I don't own any shimano spinning reels so I can't comment on what would be good if u choose shimano. Whatever I picked I'd personally stick with a 3000 size reel and it would have an aluminum frame for durability and feel on retrieve. A 3000 will hold plenty of line for swimbaits if you use braid. My friends 4000 didn't handle 17lb mono well at all and 14lb is still a bit much for the reel but too light for swimbaits imho. It would be much more comfortable to skip and target cast around docks also. Good luck and definitely 1st at least mount one on your rod and get a feel for it before you buy.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Also unless you are just dead set on a spinning rod the tatula sv is extremely rare to backlash even at night and great for skipping docks and trees with no birds best also. Another option would be a t3 1016 With an sv spool installed. It is the best pure caster for both distance and control I've used personally, but has a composite frame so I don't know how well it would handle big swimbaits. I've heard some of the shimano dc reels are excellent at night and require no thumb but I've never owned or even priced any so I don't know if that's feasible. If you use a rod with normal sized guides they should be fine with a little ice build up

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 am

There are some good deals on Shimano Stradic Ci4+ FA reels out there. The one I am speaking of is the reel before the most recent Ci4+. I have an older 7'4" Medium spinning rod (very strong Medium) and plan on putting some kind of large spinning reel on it. My wife uses a 30 size reel and likes it, I prefer 20 or 10 sizes for bass fishing (dropshot primarily). If I can find a large Stradic Ci4+ FA, I plan on using 20-30lb braid on it and using it for random fish, like catfish, or letting her use it to throw larger baits like you mentioned. She can use a baitcaster, SV reels are super user friendly, but some just prefer spinning setups.

So I would recommend hunting the previous model Ci4+ Stradic in 4000 size, even though I like spinning reels, there are always advantages to using a larger sized spinning reel.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:13 am

IMO you should go to the store first to get a hold of the 4000 sized reel first. I've fished 4000 sized reels before and it's just personal preference for me, but it was just felt too big. The largest I'd probably go is a 3000 sized reel as they hold PLENTY of line for the type of fishing you're planning on doing, especially if you spool it with 15-20 lb braid.

Timsford and DirtyD64 made some great suggestions for what reels you should look at, but I'd also throw in the Daiwa Ballistic EX. You can find some good deals on that reel as well. Are you also planning on fishing in salt water?

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks for the tip. Funny enough I do have a ballistic ex 3000! The advice about looking at some casting reels I'm just going to ignore, because I already have a pile of nice casting reels, sv spool and DC cast control included. I really just want the 4000 size reel to try it more than anything. Just to buy one and use one and see how I like it. Plus I fish every winter in weather where it is too cold to fish a casting reel as the levelwind line guide freezes over after one cast. Spinning equipment works so much better in the really cold temps. I do like the advice of trying one in a store. I'll slap one on a rod the next time I stop at caboolas.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:16 pm

I have the exact ci4 reel DirtyD4 speaks of in 4000 size. I bought it new when they came out. Just used it today. It's a great reel and it feels smaller than other shimano 4000s in hand. I use more expensive reels and have more daiwa than shimanos, but I go back to this one frequently. It just feels good in hand right down to the Eva nob. I prefer it to my sustain. Can't beat it for the price, especially how cheap you can find them now. Also, with reasonable maintenance, you'd have to try really hard to damage it.