Any info on abu Garcia Revo alx?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Any info on abu Garcia Revo alx?

Post by Ish87 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Does anyone own or have fished the abu Garcia revo alx? I have been looking these reels up and can't seem to find much information on it. All I know is that is a saltwater version of the revo mgx and that is a finesse reel but other than that not much out there. If anyone has used it and can give me some feedback on this reel i would appreciate it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any info on abu Garcia Revo alx?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 am

Ish87 wrote:Does anyone own or have fished the abu Garcia revo alx? I have been looking these reels up and can't seem to find much information on it. All I know is that is a saltwater version of the revo mgx and that is a finesse reel but other than that not much out there. If anyone has used it and can give me some feedback on this reel i would appreciate it.
I had a ton of interest in this reel. I have always like Abu and actually am excited to see what the new Gen4 Revo's have to offer. From what I understand about the ALX, it is based off the smaller frame like the newest MGXtreme and MGX. They are TINY little reels, like sub Alphas/Curado 70 size. They are aluminum framed and actually feel good in hand (very solid). The problem with these reels is that they braking system is very standard and offers poor results. It is a linear magnetic braking style, and while I am sure it is better than others, it is the same mechanics as what is offered in the WAY cheaper Max series and Gen3 Revo SX. I know the one reel I do not like that I own is a Tatula HD and it is because of its brakes, which are also linear magnets.
I have personally never cast an ALX, but see multiple reports stating that it can be wild. I did learn at Academy sports after weighing the ALX's spool that the 13.4 gram weight is low compared to some reels. This could help with lighter lures and control, but the basic braking system trumps this benefit and leaves the reel's performance in limbo in my mind. I really wish Abu would have used the IVCB (adjustable external centrifugal system) or even the 4 pin/magnetic (dual braking) system that some JDM variants sport. Had they used better brakes, the ALX would be one hell of a little reel. Good news is, with little searching, an MGX or MGXtreme can be found for just about $50 higher, if you are saltwater only, I would look elsewhere personally.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:00 am

I had one, was comfortable other than the line guide hit my finger due to how i hold the reel. I usually have the rod trigger between my my last two fingers, then my pointer finger on top of the rod wrapped around the front of the reel, and the front of the reel has nothing covering the bottom portion of the line guide so I had to move my finger to accommodate which was annoying. Also as stated the reels braking system was definitely lacking. I had mags set all the way up, and the tension pretty tight in order to just simply cast, and would still get backlash. For reference i have all of my other reels (daiwa, okuma, gen 3 stx) set at 1/2 to 1/4 power, then the spool tension to where there is just the slightest bit of back and forth with the spool, and rarely backlash with any. The ALX seems like it would be great for strictly flipping and pitching or punching applications, but for casting it was less than ideal. Ended up selling mine and getting another tatula sv...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am

I had one. Was one helluva caster for sure. Just a little too tiny for my liking. Sold it to fund something else, but it was a cool reel. Seemed to be pretty solid.
<")))><{

Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ish87 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:38 pm

What a bummer. I was really interested in that reel but thanks for all the feed back. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the shimano curado 70. I might just check that one out.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:38 am

Ish87 wrote:What a bummer. I was really interested in that reel but thanks for all the feed back. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the shimano curado 70. I might just check that one out.
What exactly are you wanting to use it for??? I am an Abu fan and possibly will try one of their new GEN4 Revo's once they are out. The only issue I have with the ALX is the brakes and price. The Revo ALX is simply a super compact version of the SX (gen 3). I haven't heard a soul state how its worth $250, never seen a single honest review about how it relates to the Alphas/SV105 or Curado 70. I don't have any time on the Curado 70, but I can STRONGLY suggest the 105/Alphas platform. The only problems with that reel for me has been the shorter handle.

Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ish87 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:47 am

I'm looking for a finesse inshore reel. I do a lot of inshore,jetty fishing and want something to cast light lures. Maybe down to 1/8 of an oz.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 am

Both the Curado70 and ALX would do just what you are asking for.
<")))><{

Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ish87 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:29 pm

[quote="LgMouthGambler"]Both the Curado70 and ALX would do just what you are asking for.[/quote so does the alx have problems casting heavier lures rather than casting lighter lures or is it the other way around?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Ish87 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Both the Curado70 and ALX would do just what you are asking for.[/quote so does the alx have problems casting heavier lures rather than casting lighter lures or is it the other way around?
I am not sure about the heavy versus light lures. Like earlier, I only stated I read some mixed reviews. There are a few positive youtube.com tests too of the ALX. I think from what I have read, the ALX does OKAY casting all lure sizes, it is just held back from its basic braking system. Linear magnetic braking from what I know chokes off casting distance more than it should and also gives a wild less controlled cast more often.

I would suggest an SV105.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Ish87 wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Both the Curado70 and ALX would do just what you are asking for.[/quote so does the alx have problems casting heavier lures rather than casting lighter lures or is it the other way around?
I had no problems launching anything with that reel. I did have to turn the brakes up to about 3/4, but it didnt hinder the casting ability at all. That sucker was a little beast.

As a matter of fact, Im awaiting the release of the Lews Super Duty LFS reel. If that thing is anything like the ALX was, Im gonna be really pleased.
<")))><{

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:38 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Ish87 wrote:
I had no problems launching anything with that reel. I did have to turn the brakes up to about 3/4, but it didnt hinder the casting ability at all. That sucker was a little beast.

As a matter of fact, Im awaiting the release of the Lews Super Duty LFS reel. If that thing is anything like the ALX was, Im gonna be really pleased.
I'm really confused by your opinion of some reels. You're on record saying all OEM reels are "crap", but you're excited about Lew's and Abu? Don't get me wrong, I like some of both their offerings, but I'm just wondering what changed since last time you belittled them.

For the record, I've owned an ALX and sold it. I much prefer an MGX or Xtreme for the reasons already mentioned. The previous generation MGX can often be found used like new under $160 or so. That's a steal. One of only four non Shimano or Daiwa reels I've really liked.

Ish87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ish87 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:44 pm

bassbassontherange wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Ish87 wrote:

I'm really confused by your opinion of some reels. You're on record saying all OEM reels are "crap", but you're excited about Lew's and Abu? Don't get me wrong, I like some of both their offerings, but I'm just wondering what changed since last time you belittled them.

For the record, I've owned an ALX and sold it. I much prefer an MGX or Xtreme for the reasons already mentioned. The previous generation MGX can often be found used like new under $160 or so. That's a steal. One of only four non Shimano or Daiwa reels I've really liked.
I would like to use then mgx reels but I don't fish freshwater. I fish only saltwater which is why I was asking for the alx but looks like I won't be getting that reel after all.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:53 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Ish87 wrote:

The newer generation OEMs seem to be built better than the previous ones. The Gen 4 Abus, and the new LFS models from Lews are internally put together better. Yes, they are all the same crap from all the companies that buy from OEM suppliers. Then again, my opinion on the new Shimano reels is they are built no better than the OEMs. But, that's my opinion, as I see more and more of these reels come across my bench. I'm not crazy about the TWS reels from Daiwa, so what are my options? I like a small profile reel, and Lews LFS seems to have that profile met. At least in those reels the worm shaft and pawl are metal and dual bearing supported. So do I buy "crap" or "crap"? If I'm looking for a new reel? Options, options... For my money, and performance I can get out of the reel, I opted to buy a Lews Tournament MB, and so far it's not too bad. Time will tell of course, but I'm gonna give the new designs a shot, as they fit the profile of the 50E reels very closely.

It's funny, a friend of mine was telling me back a while about reel parts. Hes a engineer, and I was denying what he was telling me for a good time now. And as things were coming out to the market, and I seen with my own eyes, all's I could say was "he was right". Now I have a totally new outlook on some things with reels, and where and how they are made. It's just mind boggling.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:05 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Ish87 wrote:

The newer generation OEMs seem to be built better than the previous ones. The Gen 4 Abus, and the new LFS models from Lews are internally put together better. Yes, they are all the same crap from all the companies that buy from OEM suppliers. Then again, my opinion on the new Shimano reels is they are built no better than the OEMs. But, that's my opinion, as I see more and more of these reels come across my bench. I'm not crazy about the TWS reels from Daiwa, so what are my options? I like a small profile reel, and Lews LFS seems to have that profile met. At least in those reels the worm shaft and pawl are metal and dual bearing supported. So do I buy "crap" or "crap"? If I'm looking for a new reel? Options, options... For my money, and performance I can get out of the reel, I opted to buy a Lews Tournament MB, and so far it's not too bad. Time will tell of course, but I'm gonna give the new designs a shot, as they fit the profile of the 50E reels very closely.

It's funny, a friend of mine was telling me back a while about reel parts. Hes a engineer, and I was denying what he was telling me for a good time now. And as things were coming out to the market, and I seen with my own eyes, all's I could say was "he was right". Now I have a totally new outlook on some things with reels, and where and how they are made. It's just mind boggling.
Share, please.