Tatula TW SV vs Curado 70hg

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tatula TW SV vs Curado 70hg

Post by DaisyZillion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 pm

I know it may look like a Daiwa vs Shimano post but I'd really like to know the barebones unbiased performance difference between these 2 reels. Has anyone undertaken this exercise yet?

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula TW SV vs Curado 70hg

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:26 pm

I like my Curado 70 better and I own both. But the Tat SV is no joke either. Great reel! I just have too many! :D

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Cheers! Slight advantage to the curado.

thebillsman
Angler
Angler

Post by thebillsman » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 pm

I'm in the same position except I own a Curado 70 and really like it. However, I'm considering the 8.1:1 Tatula SV to replace a Lews TP for light plastic duty. I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger or not but the prices on new Tat SVs are silly low.

I just wish it came with a true SV floating spool.

Never had a Daiwa before..

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:27 am

Curado is a caster for distance. Tatula is a controlled caster, with a great ability to skip baits when needed. Curado is smaller profile. Tatula is built a little tougher.
<")))><{

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:28 am

The Tatula SV TW will get you controlled casting. The Curado will get you more distance. The Tatula is found at much better prices. The only thing I would not do with the Tatula would be deep crankbaits or other true long cast techniques. Other than that, I'd use the Tatula SV TW. Super reel for the price. I got a 4 part series on YouTube (non-monetized). Part 1 is unboxing. Part 2 shows the casting weight range and Part 3 is on the water.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvIgb ... au5rS7RNUw

Part 4 is coming soon. It will cover the breakdown and cleaning.
Last edited by Hobie-Wan Kenobi on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:26 am

Search for THE REEL TEST on youtube, guy tests both for a light lure, the Curado 70 wins by a few feet. He tests the Tatula SV vs Curado 70 for a 3/8 or 1/2 lure and the Tatula SV wins, by a few feet. Most reels are within 95% of each other, so in my opinion the more controlled Daiwa's get my vote. I just don't always max cast everytime, control is important to me. I have interest in trying a Shimano casting reel still though, and once again, I think all reels are very close performance wise.

bassbassontherange
Angler
Angler

Post by bassbassontherange » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 am

I own both. The tatula is very good for skipping, but don't discount the 70 as far as a "controllable" platform. They're both pretty nice at their price points, but I prefer a smaller form ergonomically like the 70 has, especially for anything I'd use a fast gear ratio for. Moving baits and heavier applications are a sweet spot for the tatula, in my opinion. Still, I would rather spend an extra $80-$100 and get an sv103 or Met. I think the refinement is worth it, especially when you look at it as a ten year investment.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:51 am

bassbassontherange wrote:I own both. The tatula is very good for skipping, but don't discount the 70 as far as a "controllable" platform. They're both pretty nice at their price points, but I prefer a smaller form ergonomically like the 70 has, especially for anything I'd use a fast gear ratio for. Moving baits and heavier applications are a sweet spot for the tatula, in my opinion. Still, I would rather spend an extra $80-$100 and get an sv103 or Met. I think the refinement is worth it, especially when you look at it as a ten year investment.
Agreed 100%, I don't own either, but own the SV105 and Zillion SV TW, at the price they are currently, no way I would buy the Tatula SV (compared to an SV105/Alphas). This is for me though, don't really fish super heavy duty and the majority of the time a compact reel gets the job done easily. I still hope Daiwa has something extra compact on the way, and think it would be awesome if Shimano did they same (cheaper than the Aldebaran though, like a Chronarch 50 MGL).

Lightning
Angler
Angler

Post by Lightning » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 am

Both are good reels. Curado fits the hand better. I prefer the Tatula. They can be found for less $ , easier to get locked in and its near impossible to backlash. Now if the K series is as good as there hyping and a 50 or 70 size reel in the works, that might change things.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
bassbassontherange wrote:I own both. The tatula is very good for skipping, but don't discount the 70 as far as a "controllable" platform. They're both pretty nice at their price points, but I prefer a smaller form ergonomically like the 70 has, especially for anything I'd use a fast gear ratio for. Moving baits and heavier applications are a sweet spot for the tatula, in my opinion. Still, I would rather spend an extra $80-$100 and get an sv103 or Met. I think the refinement is worth it, especially when you look at it as a ten year investment.
Agreed 100%, I don't own either, but own the SV105 and Zillion SV TW, at the price they are currently, no way I would buy the Tatula SV (compared to an SV105/Alphas). This is for me though, don't really fish super heavy duty and the majority of the time a compact reel gets the job done easily. I still hope Daiwa has something extra compact on the way, and think it would be awesome if Shimano did they same (cheaper than the Aldebaran though, like a Chronarch 50 MGL).

Have you messed with the 200k yet?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:29 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Have you messed with the 200k yet?
No they were all gone too fast. I don't know the K's light lure casting ability, but the rod I need it for it isn't necessary... There is definitely one on my list in the future. It is still hard for me as a primarily a finesse fisherman to pay for something that cannot light lure cast as well known. I would assume the K can out do Zillion TWS and old Tatula Type R's though, and I still use those.

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:08 am

In my opinion the Tatula SV works better with nylon and FC as the Curado 71, but in combination with PE the Curado allows better distances.

And I would say, that the durability is the same, but the Curado palms much better, because it is lower than the Tatula.

Also the performance with baits heavier than 3/8oz is the same.

On a lighter rod (M-power) I would prefer the Curado and on a H-power I would choose the Tatula - and on a MH it depends of the choosen line.
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:46 am

-Boris- wrote:In my opinion the Tatula SV works better with nylon and FC as the Curado 71, but in combination with PE the Curado allows better distances.

And I would say, that the durability is the same, but the Curado palms much better, because it is lower than the Tatula.

Also the performance with baits heavier than 3/8oz is the same.

On a lighter rod (M-power) I would prefer the Curado and on a H-power I would choose the Tatula - and on a MH it depends of the choosen line.
I always see 2 kinds of posts... People who say that the Curado 70 can match and/or outdo the SV105/Alphas, and people who claim the 70 is hard to tune and doesn't do the best with lighter lures...

-Boris-
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by -Boris- » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:57 am

I personally don't like to use Curado 71 with lures lighter than 3/8oz (because the spool is relatively heavy) and would prefer in this case a Alphas SV or Aldebaran 51 (or another Shimano 51). With the Tatula SV lighter lures might be possible, but I don't like the frame size on a ML rod.

For me the Alphas SV is the most versatile reel (and in combination with PE the Scorpion BFS is also a good choice).
More pictures: https://www.instagram.com/addicted_to_baitcaster/