13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 893
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 am

13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by karirick » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:27 am

What do you all think of the new (new unless I missed it) 13 Fishing spinning reels? Anyone see/handle one yet?

Rick

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm
Location: OREGON
Contact:

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:28 am

Bought the Creed GT last year and took it out on the water once and back in the box it went for return.
This is an instance where you get what you pay for- extremely geary feeling with a big gap under spool on the retrieve. I really wanted to try 13 gear but after that disappointment im done.
Not sure about the new spinning reels.......

Love the geeky Jobber hat though!
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Unfortunately, I have only seen pretty negative reviews for their spinning reels. You see a few comments like "Smoothest reel ever, love 13 fishing!!!" which are probably from first timers who haven't branched out much. The only one I ever handled was at a tournament and an angler had removed it from his rod due to the "feel". Seemed to be a lot more wrong than just "feel" to me, of course these were the under $100 range reels.

These new reels look interesting and I think it is great that they are attempting to offer nicer equipment for the spinning reel guys, except for one blatant mistake I see already. I cannot believe they would attempt to make a flagship $200 and a +$300 reel will a 5.2 ratio. I know some fish slower, but that is a major against the grain trend in spinning reels. I personally would never own one because of that, and I guarantee they don't even get looks from others due to that slow speed presented. Maybe the spool will be bigger or something will make up for the IPT, but I know personally a bass spinning reel for me needs around 31-33IPT to fish finesse like I do.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2540
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by tywithay » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:12 pm

I have a Creed X and like it a lot. I don't know if all the negative people were expecting the end all be all, or something. You can't spend $50-$80 and expect a Stella, or even a Stradic. These reels are easily on par or better than any sub-$100 reel I've used, which is what I expected. They do have a bit of gear noise, due to the carbon frame. Graphite transmits vibrations much better than aluminum. All in all, they're smooth and solid. If you keep your expectations reasonable, these are a very good value.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:42 pm

tywithay wrote:I have a Creed X and like it a lot. I don't know if all the negative people were expecting the end all be all, or something. You can't spend $50-$80 and expect a Stella, or even a Stradic. These reels are easily on par or better than any sub-$100 reel I've used, which is what I expected. They do have a bit of gear noise, due to the carbon frame. Graphite transmits vibrations much better than aluminum. All in all, they're smooth and solid. If you keep your expectations reasonable, these are a very good value.
Just did some research and now I'm even more confused why their new expensive spinning reels have such slow ratios. The Creed GT employs a 6.2 ratio (once again not for all, but I am pretty sure its the new trend) and I just cannot believe they would keep a flagship model slow. Maybe it is just how I fish with a spinning reel, but without a solid IPT I don't give it a look, even if quality is there. I am just being a little picky though, some Daiwa's have a 5.6 and they are fast (for inches per turn) so maybe these new 13 reels aren't as slow as I originally imagined...

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2540
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by tywithay » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:26 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
tywithay wrote:I have a Creed X and like it a lot. I don't know if all the negative people were expecting the end all be all, or something. You can't spend $50-$80 and expect a Stella, or even a Stradic. These reels are easily on par or better than any sub-$100 reel I've used, which is what I expected. They do have a bit of gear noise, due to the carbon frame. Graphite transmits vibrations much better than aluminum. All in all, they're smooth and solid. If you keep your expectations reasonable, these are a very good value.
Just did some research and now I'm even more confused why their new expensive spinning reels have such slow ratios. The Creed GT employs a 6.2 ratio (once again not for all, but I am pretty sure its the new trend) and I just cannot believe they would keep a flagship model slow. Maybe it is just how I fish with a spinning reel, but without a solid IPT I don't give it a look, even if quality is there. I am just being a little picky though, some Daiwa's have a 5.6 and they are fast (for inches per turn) so maybe these new 13 reels aren't as slow as I originally imagined...

I think some of it has to do with the length of the rotor arms, width of the spool, and length of the handle, as well. I have Daiwa Fuego's from back in the day (when they were good) that are only 4.9:1 and I have never had any issue with a speedy retrieve.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:55 am

tywithay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
tywithay wrote:I have a Creed X and like it a lot. I don't know if all the negative people were expecting the end all be all, or something. You can't spend $50-$80 and expect a Stella, or even a Stradic. These reels are easily on par or better than any sub-$100 reel I've used, which is what I expected. They do have a bit of gear noise, due to the carbon frame. Graphite transmits vibrations much better than aluminum. All in all, they're smooth and solid. If you keep your expectations reasonable, these are a very good value.
Just did some research and now I'm even more confused why their new expensive spinning reels have such slow ratios. The Creed GT employs a 6.2 ratio (once again not for all, but I am pretty sure its the new trend) and I just cannot believe they would keep a flagship model slow. Maybe it is just how I fish with a spinning reel, but without a solid IPT I don't give it a look, even if quality is there. I am just being a little picky though, some Daiwa's have a 5.6 and they are fast (for inches per turn) so maybe these new 13 reels aren't as slow as I originally imagined...

I think some of it has to do with the length of the rotor arms, width of the spool, and length of the handle, as well. I have Daiwa Fuego's from back in the day (when they were good) that are only 4.9:1 and I have never had any issue with a speedy retrieve.
Handle length doesn't change inches per turn, rather how fast you can turn. You could use a yard stick for a handle, as long as you rotate it once, it'd be no different IPT than a regular handle (assuming they both make one full revolution).

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2540
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by tywithay » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:50 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
tywithay wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
tywithay wrote:I have a Creed X and like it a lot. I don't know if all the negative people were expecting the end all be all, or something. You can't spend $50-$80 and expect a Stella, or even a Stradic. These reels are easily on par or better than any sub-$100 reel I've used, which is what I expected. They do have a bit of gear noise, due to the carbon frame. Graphite transmits vibrations much better than aluminum. All in all, they're smooth and solid. If you keep your expectations reasonable, these are a very good value.
Just did some research and now I'm even more confused why their new expensive spinning reels have such slow ratios. The Creed GT employs a 6.2 ratio (once again not for all, but I am pretty sure its the new trend) and I just cannot believe they would keep a flagship model slow. Maybe it is just how I fish with a spinning reel, but without a solid IPT I don't give it a look, even if quality is there. I am just being a little picky though, some Daiwa's have a 5.6 and they are fast (for inches per turn) so maybe these new 13 reels aren't as slow as I originally imagined...

I think some of it has to do with the length of the rotor arms, width of the spool, and length of the handle, as well. I have Daiwa Fuego's from back in the day (when they were good) that are only 4.9:1 and I have never had any issue with a speedy retrieve.
Handle length doesn't change inches per turn, rather how fast you can turn. You could use a yard stick for a handle, as long as you rotate it once, it'd be no different IPT than a regular handle (assuming they both make one full revolution).
I am aware of that. But, how fast you can turn is important. 28" per turn may seem slow, but if you can turn the handle 1.5x faster than a reel with 31", with less effort, you're still reeling faster. That was kind of the point. IPT isn't the end all.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 pm

True, I feel you, I got your point. I changed a baitcast handle from an 80mm to a 100mm and got a decent torque increase, but noticed it slowed down my fishing. I was fishing a lot of finesse swimbaits with that reel and the larger handle made it easier to reel fighting a fish, but honestly the little handle let me "pump" the lure easier and speed it in after a no-fish cast.

User avatar
13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:49 am

I love this thread....a nice topic for savvy fishing reel enthusiasts.

The true question is what is the perfect gear ratio/inches per turn for your application.???

Trends and sales in both spinning and casting reels are showing faster ratios are growing in popularity. Is that because it is better or because more models are offered in higher ratios? I would say that most 2017 avid anglers are fishing tackle faster than what is ideal for their applications.

Most spinning reels in a 30 ish size offer about 30IPT. Some higher, some lower...but this is about average.

As a designer of reels I can tell you that it IS possible to offer a lower gear ratio with just as much IPT as a slightly higher one. This could be done by increasing the diameter of the spool. Additionally larger diameter spools cast farther...certainly there are other factors, but this is a general fact. When a model is designed all of the factors have to be considered.

Does the reel have a high max drag? If it does than I would say it was probably designed to combat some pretty descent size fish. Make sure that it has the power you desire to land them. Nothing is worse than being hooked up and you cant turn the handle because you are lacking gear power.

We did our own research and testing to determine what gear ratios and spool diameters are ideal for most applications. The soon to be released Prototype X/TX/GT spinning reels balance that power, IPT, drag, and cast ability very nicely. I think anglers that test them will be extremely impressed with the technology and quality of these reels.

Matt
13Fishing

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 am

Can you comment on the weight of your soon to be introduced new spinning reels? They look pretty interesting, esp the ones @ the 199 price point. THat space gonna be pretty crowded soon!

User avatar
13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by 13Fishing » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

We do not set our weights until we go to production as small part adjustments affect the weight. Additionally its very hard to compare our specs and weight to the competition because we have very unique sizes and capacities. However all that being said the weight will be very similar to the Daiwa and Shimano reels built with similar materials(CI4+ and Daiwa Zion)

Matt
13 Fishing

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 893
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:33 am

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by karirick » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 pm

13Fishing wrote:We do not set our weights until we go to production as small part adjustments affect the weight. Additionally its very hard to compare our specs and weight to the competition because we have very unique sizes and capacities. However all that being said the weight will be very similar to the Daiwa and Shimano reels built with similar materials(CI4+ and Daiwa Zion)

Matt
13 Fishing
So Matt these are not magnesium framed? Was unlikely but I was hoping. I think most of us on here prefer magnesium to carbon; but I realize they last and get the job done etc, etc.

I'm still not sure how/if Pflueger uses magnesium and so affordably.....

Anyways; looking forward to seeing the new reels someday.

Rick

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 am

13Fishing wrote:I love this thread....a nice topic for savvy fishing reel enthusiasts.

The true question is what is the perfect gear ratio/inches per turn for your application.???

Trends and sales in both spinning and casting reels are showing faster ratios are growing in popularity. Is that because it is better or because more models are offered in higher ratios? I would say that most 2017 avid anglers are fishing tackle faster than what is ideal for their applications.

Most spinning reels in a 30 ish size offer about 30IPT. Some higher, some lower...but this is about average.

As a designer of reels I can tell you that it IS possible to offer a lower gear ratio with just as much IPT as a slightly higher one. This could be done by increasing the diameter of the spool. Additionally larger diameter spools cast farther...certainly there are other factors, but this is a general fact. When a model is designed all of the factors have to be considered.

Does the reel have a high max drag? If it does than I would say it was probably designed to combat some pretty descent size fish. Make sure that it has the power you desire to land them. Nothing is worse than being hooked up and you cant turn the handle because you are lacking gear power.

We did our own research and testing to determine what gear ratios and spool diameters are ideal for most applications. The soon to be released Prototype X/TX/GT spinning reels balance that power, IPT, drag, and cast ability very nicely. I think anglers that test them will be extremely impressed with the technology and quality of these reels.

Matt
13Fishing
Nice to hear, I would say at that IPT and size it should be perfect. I forget that needing a larger spool for ease of casting doesn't necessarily need to facilitate a low torque 36+ inches per turn. Should be a good reel, if I have ever downed or seemed overly negative toward 13 fishing I sure didn't mean it. Highly impressed with a company that comes seemingly out of nowhere and is able to complete/lead with the extremely impressive reels others offer today. I've never owned a 13 product but will eventually give them a try, because any use of my friend's Concept C was positive during my tests.

User avatar
13Fishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: 13 Fishing spinning reels on Tackle Warehouse.

Post by 13Fishing » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:38 am

No Magnesium. We are targeting a big saltwater push with these models....that just wouldn't make sense for this project. I see most of the top companies going away from magnesium, its expensive and really hard to coat for saltwater use. A huge segment of the market is now fishing BOTH salt and fresh with the same product.

The future is in carbon and plastic composites. With today's tech some of the new space age materials are mind blowing. We can build frames that are 100% resistant to harsh environments with virtually the same torque characteristics as steel(depending on the engineering).

look at Shimano's revolutionary plastic worm gear and our CZB bearing as examples of what you can do when you have advanced engineering partnered with incredible new materials.

The New Prototype Frames are incredibly rigid, as you can see max drag numbers are increasing dramatically in spinning reels per size. This is showing the composite materials improving.

Matt
13 Fishing

Post Reply